• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Brain-rotting garbage.  I've been trying to get my wife to get rid of ours for 25 years.......I finally gave up and got addicted to The Simpsons!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SIMPSONS?? DID SOMEONE SAY SIMPSONS???????

:24::emot-puke::24::24::24:;):24:;):):);)

Yomo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Seriously, I think it's soooooooo simple.........

Watch the good stuff and leave the bad stuff!

;)

It's not that hard to do............just don't let wrong things come on.

Just let good, wholesome things appear on your screen.

That way it'll be fine.

Don't cut the tube COMPLETELY...........there are really good films on....(like James Bond) :emot-puke:

Good films are on all the time, especially in the summer hols.

;)

Yomo

:)

:)

;)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Constant and Kahlan - I like Rachel Ray too!

You guys watch "Iron Chef America"? That's a good one too.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

Constant and Kahlan - I like Rachel Ray too!

You guys watch "Iron Chef America"? That's a good one too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love that show!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/07/1988

If it's a sinful reality show (i.e. Temptation Island), it's wrong. There's nothing wrong with cartoons or shows with acting (BECAUSE THEY'RE FAKE!). But, those kind of shows that add nudity (i.e. The L Word) is not right.

Guest iamsoblessed

most members of our church do not watch tv..i watch veryyyyyy little..besides the programming offered..it does take away from important things in life..mainly reading the word..if people would spend as much time reading their bible as watching tv this world would be a better place and maybe hollywood would stop airing junk..turn off the tv..have a conversation or acrivity with your spouse and children..releatives and friends..get involved in a ministry..go to childrens hospitals..soup kitchen..soldiers wives..nursing homes..tv takes away from living..

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/20/1970

I don't watch too much television anymore. My younger ones enjoy some cartoons, my hubby watches the weather channel (OTR driver) and the news, and my teenager enjoys watching Seventh Heaven. I used to have more time to enjoy some things like TLC, and Discover Channel, but lately...oh my...no time for much of anything. LOL I really miss the older programs like Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons...etc. Yes, I am a sap! :wub:

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I am passionate about this subject, so I will state first and foremost that the ideas and thoughts I'm about to express are just that, my thoughts and ideas.

I agree with Super Jew that TV, in and of itself, is not inherently good or bad. It's what people are watching and how it affects them that is the issue. I also agree with Work In Progress and believe that most of what is on television is "bad."

I have a TV but I don't have cable or any local channels. I've been without TV for one year now and it's one of the best decisions I ever made. My TV is used to watch movies that I choose to rent from NetFlix and that's it.

I also think that the amount of time we spend watching TV is an issue. Does it interfere with other things we could/should be doing? Does it come before spending time with God? Does it hinder getting chores done? Is it a hinderance/temptation that takes away from time with God, family or others? Do we have to watch a show because it's that time of the week and say no to other opportunities? Even "good" shows can become obsessive.

What we watch is important because we become like what we spend our time in. Studies show for a fact that what we watch and listen to has an affect on us. No doubt about it. That little bit of cursing in our favorite shows affects us. The violence we see on TV and in movies desensitizes and hardens us just a little bit more. "It only has a little swearing in it." "It only had one sex scene but it didn't show very much." "The violence wasn't too graphic." "The sex was implied, not shown." There are lots of excuses and justifications that people try to use.

If I made a batch of brownies and offered you one, you might like to have one. Brownies are great! But if I told you that I put a very small bit of doggy doo in the mix first, would you want one? Why not? It was only the tiniest bit and I'm sure you wouldn't be able to taste it. If you can't taste it or smell it, it doesn't affect the quality of the brownies does it? Yes, it would! It would matter just because it's in there! That's the way I feel about "a little bit" of sex, violence and vulgar language. There may be only a little in the show/movie, but it has an affect and makes a difference!

The bad programs are easy to detect. But seemingly good shows are not. They may start out good (like 7th Heaven for example) and then turn dicey in their undertones in an effort to keep the show interesting and get better ratings... but they keep you watching because they got you to care about the characters. We get to "know" them and what to know what happens to them.

Television is something everyone needs to decide about for themselves. Watching it won't get you to heaven or send you to hell. But is the amount of time we spend watching, and our motives for watching the shows we do, in balance with our time with God and others?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

my hubby watches the weather channel (OTR driver)

O3B, I can't believe you said that, lol. I thought my husband was the only weird person who actually watches the weather channel. :wub: He actually knows the personalities on that channel, much like we know the news people on the major networks. ( :b: again). They will say some kind of lame joke, and my husband will laugh like it's hysterical - yes, he actually gets the jokes on the weather channel. ROTFL.

Hey, I miss Little House too - I'm a huge fan! Do you own any of the DVD's? I've got the premier episode and one season. I'm hoping to get all the seasons.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

If it's a sinful reality show (i.e. Temptation Island), it's wrong.  There's nothing wrong with cartoons or shows with acting (BECAUSE THEY'RE FAKE!).  But, those kind of shows that add nudity (i.e. The L Word) is not right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well now they're making cartoons with nudity and having them do and say all sorts of things they would never get away with if it were real people or actors. I've never watched a full episode of the Simpsons, but I know that shows like King of the Hill and Family Guy are cartoons which contain some offensive an inappropriate things for children. I think a person just has to use discretion.