• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I am listening to Pet Sounds as we speak—- for the FIRST time......wow.....it is lame.....don't mean to offend anyone .....

It did have a few notable songs that was in my opening post. Was it their best LP in my opinion? No. 

I think I may have misjudged poor Yoko.....lol.....

Yoko again? No! Let's not talk about Yoko as a musician/singer. She wasn't. Ever! haha! 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member

I was  telling my brother just the other day that if one wanted to see the difference between The Beatles and The Beach Boys, take a look at the Album Cover Of “ Pet Sounds”...... then look at the cover of Sgt Pepper.....that’s the difference in a nutshell.......

Yeah, I hear ya on that. When this came out with the guys and they were all petting a llama, I thought it did appear to be lacking something. Probably on the inside of the album cover. Sure it did. I didn't buy it. But I did purchase Pepper instead. Never regretted it. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's a few choice photographs of The Beach Boys throughout the years I thought perhaps everyone might enjoy. 

Thanks for all the fun, memories, and most of all the music! 

Sorry these didn't turn up very well in the layout. I'm still an internet amatueur! 

OIPABWRR4UJ.jpg.f91cc30dc41cc7944cd5d2a9d780239e.jpg   OIPHA2FPZ3X.jpg.8ca543b7da049d655e1cfb32a64b9b7f.jpg   OIPL3Z7F8H5.jpg.41432f4b5fd9078baefac30eb6f55c4b.jpg

OIPMSF8RPA0.jpg.cc85019a57a3873454c5d101a767dd04.jpg   OIP1CPSTM2C.jpg.6c13084eed6992f049f665a81a6dfd06.jpg   OIP0FA3WJMG.jpg.060b2bac6460fd5888192be18af21229.jpg  

1399559840_untitled(23).png.baa467fe1ea537ab8e8b9799d6e6b22b.png   OIPSMWNHNU7.jpg.fba8f5da5e1e7523157396135ef8f74a.jpg   OIPAZ48ARUS.jpg.6a0062cf9b90abf577fef17026342df7.jpg   

OIPT347B0T8.jpg.bbdad9130dd226f43bfc6bb8af7fec74.jpg

SURFIN' USA!

THE BEACH BOYS

Edited by BeauJangles

Again, my apologies that the previous post of photographs of The Beach Boys came out all jumbled up as they did. When I began to download each into place, the layout looked pretty good for admittedly being an amatueur for the digital age. They all lined up well until hitting the submit prompt. Wow, what a disappointment. Oh, the humiliation. :b:

Just a little mention here about co-founding members, Brian and Dennis Wilson. They were more or less the Lennon and McCartney of the group. Brian wrote a good most of the songs, but Dennis also had quite a lot of talent for composing himself. He also released a few solo projects and I'm so glad to have his contributions to the world on CD. Thanks, eBay! 

Brothers Brian and Dennis did struggle with both some emotional issues and also substantial substance abuse. These are from memory of reading auto-biographies by Brian, so bear with me on not getting all the names and dates correctly. They were library loan outs and had to be returned after finishing them. Interesting reads on the career of the guys. 

Sometime during the late 1960's, the band fell completely from the hit charts. Other styles of mainstream rock 'n' roll, pop, and soul, was taking over most of what our US audience now wanted. The band rested on the laurels of the money, fame, and fortunes, and pretty much laid back for quite a number of years. Alcohol had always popular, but the drug scene was coming.

Temptations were everywhere and everyone back then began to experiment. Several of the band were enjoying the relaxation of cannabis already. Brian took his first dose of LSD. He admitted to taking a particularly large amount for one person to consume and had a horrible mind blowing trip he wished he'd never taken. It was his very first and last one. Poor Brian. 

It deeply disturbed him after the experience and affected his way of thinking. Brian turned his home into an inside beach and had tons of sand brought into the main living room of the home. His grand piano was proudly placed in the middle and he continued to compose. He was struggling with it though and found piecing his ideas were becoming impossible.

By then, his marriage had already crumbled and his wife left in frustration. In attempts to console himself, Brian took literally to lying in bed for several years. He obtained psychiatry but none were exactly to his overall benefits. Quack doctors were rampant then and getting prescription medications were far too easy. Alcohol and Valium became the only comfort. 

Dennis also began drinking heavily and smoking a lot of marijuana himself. He traded drumming for piano playing and did manage some pretty decent solo efforts on his own. Dennis didn't have Brian's vocal tenor quality, but he was pretty good. The big mistake was hanging out with the hippies and one day Charles Manson came to the door. What did he want? 

Charlie wanted Dennis and Brian also to help him put out his own album. He could strum a few chords on the guitar, but his singing sounded like country hick slang. No marketable talent whatsoever. Manson and his family began hanging out in Dennis' house and camped out while insisting on Dennis putting up financial help to get a bunch of LPs to the public. 

I've heard it once. It was as dreadful as he was. "Lie" was the title of the album and yes, he thought he was the new messiah. It's got the black and white photo of him on the front cover, eyes bulging in satanic glare. Horrible! Manson's ploy was all peace and love in the beginning and dosing everyone in his group with LSD. Dennis fell for it. Not a good plan. 

After Charlie and his band of radicals became too much for Dennis to take anymore, he called out for help. His dad who was manager of the group from the beginning, stepped in with a bunch of hired heavies to booted Manson and the dirty bunch of mongrels out. What a relief! Dennis continued on with cannabis, cocaine abuse, and eventually on to heroin.

Tragically, on December 28th 1983, Dennis drowned under suspicious circumstances at a marina. Dennis was an avid swimmer and the only known Beach Boy who actually knew how to surf. He was 39 years old.  God bless and rest you, Dennis. 

OIP7I12MD1M.jpg.4cb2d86a70bfde927dcb57d1ba7554e8.jpg

Dennis Wilson

I'd like to bring back more happier memories concerning The Beach Boys and their music. Following some very difficult times that they had to endure as a band, still they carried on. Brian managed to pull himself out of this and the others found the courage to do likewise. As I mentioned, they were tremendous in concert and seeing them twice in my lifetime was a great experience for me. For a number of years, their hit songs came tumbling through the radio waves. They were good and happy songs and brought forth bright moods for all who also enjoyed their harmonious music. Let's share a list of favorites. 

Surfin' USA

Fun, Fun, Fun (Till Her Daddy Took Her T-Bird Away)

Surfer Girl

Barbara Ann

Help Me Rhonda

Little Deuce Coupe

I Get Around

In My Room 

When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)

Be True To Your School 

California Girls

Surfin' Safari

God Only Knows

Good Vibrations 

Wouldn't It Be Nice

Catch A Wave 

Don't Worry Baby 

Little St. Nick (Beach Boys Christmas Song)

Dance, Dance, Dance

I Can Hear Music 

Wendy 

Sloop John B 

Do You Wanna Dance?

Surfin' 

I Can Hear Music

Kokomo 

Do It Again

Thanks For The Music!

OIPIEMHLR5P.jpg.46071522d3879946adcedb1385e63c4f.jpg  2026975250_OIP(11).jpg.9799449447829c6e1208bb49ada7a40d.jpg  1177918643_OIP(10).jpg.a356f8f982ff34364f7e8535528317a2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/16/2020 at 4:50 PM, BeauJangles said:

Oh, no! Don't get me started on that! haha! We could end up in trouble! I thought perhaps this would stay a pretty decent thread, as many of us really did enjoy the upbeat music the Beach Boys brought to the world. 

Yeah, so it would seem. Brian appeared at the first concert I was able to attend, but couldn't make it the second time around. He just wasn't in the mood I guess? Sometime before Pet Sounds even came out, Brian had decided to compose but not perform with The Beach Boys live. It was great to see him the first time. I felt honored, really. What a talented musician and singer he was. They had a barbershop quartet kind of harmony to their sound. Excellent!

Brian had terrible anxiety. That's why he stopped going to concerts. He had some manager that took advantage of him and kept him drugged to control him and take his money. It was sad. There is a movie about it.