• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

I still say U2 is over rated

Guest Barsabbas
I saw an interview with him about a year ago and he seemed more committed than ever. He doesn't speak christianese very well though.

Bono just played the major role in helping millions of the poor in Africa. Why do you think he did it?

Yod -- hey, good comments. I'm assuming some tongue-in-cheek when you point out that Bono doesn't "speak Christianese very well."

To that I say, thank goodness! It's refreshing to see a Christian (if indeed he is a Christian) who doesn't care so much about perfecting all the routine automatic phrases that we Christians tend to use as brain-crutches, but instead "speaks" better true Christianese than most of us, me first and foremost, with his actions (as you cleverly pointed out in your very next sentence.)

So, in this interview, are you saying that he didn't ever mention how he "invited Jesus into his heart" one day? Or that he was thinking "What Would Jesus Do?" just before "the Lord laid it on his heart" (we Christians do love the 'heart' stuff) to help the dying poor in Africa? Hmmm. Well... surely he at least mentioned what a huge fan of that "Footprints" poem he is, right?... or that "Smile! God Loves You!" bumper sticker?... or that Calvin-praying-at-the-cross window decal?... (By the way, what's he praying for? A refill?)

Anyway, like you, I'll withold judgment for now. You said it best with the "first stone" thing.

An uncommon Christian isn't necessarily not one.

Edited by Barsabbas

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

I still say U2 is over rated

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am with you Super Jew! whether they are christian or not I dont know, but I just never really liked their music, I have liked more than a few songs, but not an entire album, they are way overrated in my opinion.

I do know however, that Bono on an interview on television (cant remember if it was the tonight show or letterman, maybe neither) he was asked the question of yheir christian band status and he said they were not a christian band.

This however has nothing to do with whether they are christians or not that question wasnt addressed as I recall.

Their have many bands though who dont really consider themselves christian bands and yet have a spiritual message. remember Kansas? Triumph? Mason Profit? there were many.

I think one of the best christian rock bands was Petra!

Guest Bon22

I came across this article on the net....which is a few years old.

U2's Bono Says He'd 'Like to Be' a Christian

Compiled by Ted Olsen | posted 2/22/01

Bono finally speaks on his faith

Is U2 Christian? (Or, more directly, is it still?) The question is the Christian version of Is Paul dead? and it's been around a lot longer than the rumors McCartney's demise ever were. Lead singer Bono and other members of the band have commented vaguely and enigmatically on the question over the group's recent history, but, as a Dallas Morning News article earlier this month concluded, "When it comes to U2 and God, the answers we'll probably always get are more questions." Not necessarily. Beliefnet finally scored an interview with Bono exclusively on his religious beliefs. But is it the final word on Bono's faith? Probably not. "The most powerful idea that's entered the world in the last few thousand years—the idea of grace—is the reason I would like to be a Christian," he tells Rolling Stone contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis, who has covered the band since 1984. "Though, as I said to [u2 guitarist] The Edge one day, I sometimes feel more like a fan, rather than actually in the band. I can't live up to it. But the reason I would like to is the idea of grace. It's really powerful." Bono also talks about the role of religion in music ("The idea of turning your music into a tool for evangelism is missing the point. Music is the language of the spirit anyway.") The Holy Spirit and religion ("I often wonder if religion is the enemy of God. It's almost like religion is what happens when the Spirit has left the building. God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm.") and AIDS in Africa ("America will be judged by God if, in its plenty, it crosses the road from 23 million people suffering from HIV, the leprosy of the day. What's up on trial here is Christianity itself."

...and this

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/003/2.38.html

Personally, I cant really comment as I am not a big fan.

Shalom from Bon

Guest Barsabbas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like a lot of Petra's stuff. But for some reason they have become anathema in the "Christian Rock" world. Does anyone know what happened there? Why are they somehow a joke now? It seems sad to me. Is it simply because they're old? or just because it's cool to dislike them now? In which case(s), it's REALLY sad (to see that Christian Rock fans seem to be no deeper or more loyal than any other breed.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like a lot of Petra's stuff. But for some reason they have become anathema in the "Christian Rock" world. Does anyone know what happened there? Why are they somehow a joke now? It seems sad to me. Is it simply because they're old? or just because it's cool to dislike them now? In which case(s), it's REALLY sad (to see that Christian Rock fans seem to be no deeper or more loyal than any other breed.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you just swerved into one reason why U2 doesn't want to be a "christian" band.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

WOW. Though I am well passed the generation of rock bands and never listen to their music, I have to agree with Tess, in that nobody knows the hearts of entertainers, apart from Father God, but one thing you can be sure of and that is that $$$ has a big influence on all performers. And, because I don't know their motives for being performes, apart from their love of music, I have to give them the benifit of the doubt. You know it's like the controversy about your prez. Is he a christian or is he putting up a front to make himself popular. Well only the Lord knows and He knows everything that we do in secret.

Well I'm not trying to put anyone down, but I think we should all check our own backyards before we start cleaning up other's

just an observation,

e

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

WOW. Though I am well passed the generation of rock bands and never listen to their music, I have to agree with Tess, in that nobody knows the hearts of entertainers, apart from Father God, but one thing you can be sure of and that is that $$$ has a big influence on all performers. And, because I don't know their motives for being performes, apart from their love of music, I have to give them the benifit of the doubt. You know it's like the controversy about your prez. Is he a christian or is he putting up a front to make himself popular. Well only the Lord knows and He knows everything that we do in secret.

Well I'm not trying to put anyone down, but I think we should all check our own backyards before we start cleaning up other's

just an observation,

e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would certainly slow down the discussion forum. What would we talk about? The weather? Take a look at how many threads are about people. Mostly people who do not frequent this forum. If we deleted all those threads, George could probably sell a couple of servers. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Now now, gerioke, you were one of those who accused the thread about jessica simpson as gossip, if my memory serves me correct. I was taught as a child, if you can't say something nice about someone don't talk behind their backs. I might be a child molester for all you know, but if anyone should discuss in publc, which this board is, I would be filing a law suit. Now I am by no means sanctimonious or beyond reproach in any way, but I never say anyrhing about someone behind their back unless I'm 100% of being sure of what I am saying.

Sorry, but gossip is one of my pet hobby horses. Always has been. Can't stand kangaroo courts.

have a nice day'

e

Edited by eric