• Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1978

How can you know his heart?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how can one believe that his heart is right if it is not shown through his works!!! :thumbsup:

Yes He does sing God based songs, but so do a lot of heathens!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I think one of the best christian rock bands was Petra!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like a lot of Petra's stuff. But for some reason they have become anathema in the "Christian Rock" world. Does anyone know what happened there? Why are they somehow a joke now? It seems sad to me. Is it simply because they're old? or just because it's cool to dislike them now? In which case(s), it's REALLY sad (to see that Christian Rock fans seem to be no deeper or more loyal than any other breed.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I miss the Petra - Mylon lefevre & BrokenHeart - DeGarmo & Key era! :thumbsup:

As for Petra - the problem wasn't the fans.

After petra Praise 2, a very successful album, they produced another "regular" rock album. Only, it wasn't the same. It was like all the things we loved about Petra was thrown out the window and they were trying to fit in with the mainstream of the '90's. It wasn't a very good album, IMO. At least I didn't hear any songs on there that I really cared for.

Then they produced another praise and worship album, but someone had the hair-brain idea to have John Schlitt sing baratone the whole album! It was very painful to listen to. Plus, he couldn't "belt out" his voice the way he's good at - it just felt like a suppressive album. Depressing.

I know they came out with another album, but the sample songs I heard weren't the kinds of songs I'd want to grab ahold of either.

It has been incredibly disheartening. :24:

Anyway, I recent'y checked up on Petra news - they're retiring after their current tour.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

First off I have never heard of Bono dressing up as a demon. Secondly, I would like to understand the context if he did. That sounds like a Terry Watkins claim and not actual fact. Third, three of the four members (including Bono) claim to be Christians. Fourth, Bono's songs do have a Christian message. And finally fifth, they're still over rated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know who Terry Watkins is, but a photo of Bono can be found here

It was a persona he took on during a tour, I am uncertain regarding the context.

I am not saying that I don't think U2 is Christian, I really don't know. Don't like their music, never really given it much thought.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

how can one believe that his heart is right if it is not shown through his works!!! noidea.gif

What works are you looking for? :24:

The problem you're going to run into is that all Christians do not look the same. We are diverse, we have different giftings, different callings, different circles of influence. If he blatantly violates Scripture and is living in sin, then yes...his works should cause us to pause (and pray, not condemn him by the way). But as far as I can tell (and I've done research, I'm not just throwing out an uneducated opinion), his life does reflect Christ and the love of God. He has been in a faithful marriage for a LONG time (longer than probably some on this board), he has a heart for ministry and the needs of the poor and sick (which is the heart of Christ), and he uses his influence to get things done and meet those needs. I'd say his fruit seems pretty fresh.

It was a persono he took on during a tour, I am uncertain regarding the context.

Context is everything. I could find a picture of almost anything on the internet and develop some slander to go with it. I've seen several try to find pictures of the President with horns or doing some "satanic" sign and call him a satanist. Please, let's have more grace than that. If we don't know the context or the integrity of the source, let's just not perpetuate a lie or something that could be false. Clearly, the rest of his life reflects a heart that loves God, one solitary picture with an unknown source cannot diminish the work this man has done for good.

Not now. I quit when I was at play school. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew you were just kidding but I wanted to show an example of how statements turn into rumors and then turn into gossip. That was probably not a good idea to do it at your expense though. Thanks for not getting offended.

Regarding bono and u2 now;

Success ruins more people than poverty, imo. It's a much better gauge of a person's heart to see their character when there are no longer the restraints of average people. In other words, when one gets to the point where they can have or do anything they want, then you will see what they really are.

Bono used his fame and money to help millions of people in Africa. Since Mother Theresa....who has done more for the poor? :24:

I'd bet that there aren't 5 on this board who could handle the temptation of a rock & roll lifestyle and still be faithful 90% of the time. Not to mention being as rich and famous and idolized as they are.

All we have is a picture without context of Bono and yet we're sure that U2 aren't true believers?

shame, shame, shame... :24:

It's easy to throw stones from this distance.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia's entry on U2:

In early 1992, U2 began its first American tour in more than four years. The multimedia event known as the Zoo TV Tour masterfully confused audiences with hundreds of video screens, upside-down flying Trabant cars, mock transmission towers, satellite TV links, subliminal text messages, and over-the-top stage characters such as "The Fly", "Mirror-ball Man" and "MacPhisto". The tour was among other things U2's attempt at mocking the excesses of rock and roll, by appearing to embrace greed and decadence - even at times, away from the stage. Some missed the point of the tour and thought that U2 had "lost it", and that Bono had become an egomaniac. Following the same theme, U2 went back into the studio to record their next release during a break in the "Zoo TV" tour. The album was intended as an additional EP to Achtung Baby, but soon Zooropa expanded into a full-fledged LP and released in July of 1993. Zooropa was an even greater departure from the style of their earlier recordings, incorporating techno style and other electronic effects.

Macphisto is the character in the photo I posted earlier. It would seem that Bono took on this persona, not to promote demons but as a sort of mockery of the rock n roll lifestyle. There doesnt seem to be a ton of info online about it, but I think that is the case.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I appreciate your comments, yod and Mr. eric. I gotta say, I would give almost anything to see Mr. eric rocking out to "Vertigo" hahaha. :24:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Bono used his fame and money to help millions of people in Africa. Since Mother Theresa....who has done more for the poor?

Are those millions saved? What good is the world to a man if he loses his soul?