Knotical

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

One of the latest things that has come out of this whole novelty era of removing names and renaming things because of things done or said by those who had things named after them by those who have no idea how to handle being offended: The John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California.  What is truly, and hilariously, ironic about this is that John Wayne hated that airport.  He had a house in Newport Beach which is pretty much directly under the flight path of most planes taking off from that airport.

History can be fun when you study it and see people who have no clue.

Edited by Knotical
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I guess he'd be glad

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, Knotical said:

History can be fun when you study it and see people who have no clue.

I remember that.
I read he kept his airplane there before the noise got bad.
Recently heard they're going to take his bronze statue down there because of his
tough western comments on film are hurting sensitive feelings.
(remember, California, not so ironic!)

He had a great love of our country, not like today's Hollywood crowd.
copy paste below, the tube.     (7 min, cool)

John Wayne & Celebrity Ensemble - God Bless America

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,632
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

It is a cool statue. I love the tall cuffs on the western Jeans  of the mighty tall statue. Always cracks me up. John Wayne, he wasn't what he was, but most everyone remembers him  as someone they might like. Now people want to topple  a statue. Gee silly fools have been trying to kill off their enemies by breaking off noses of images for hundreds of centuries. Ask the poor Sphinx who may have lost it's nose  as proof it was not a God to be worshipped.  Today's anxiety seems to me to be closely related an emotion, a demand to  stop revering bronzed imagery. Funny a most emotionally powerful wall at Washington dc was found deficient by many for it's lack of bronzed imagery. So much effort was spent to make a balanced representation of bronzed images of suffering  individuals at war. I look at those very haunting bronze images and then at the wall of names and tears come  by the knowing of some of the names and imagining the families of those names I don't know. But the bronzed images they are nothing of that sort at all.  So what is in a chunk of bronze or granite that need be fought over so fiercely?

Wasn't too long ago  the USA invaders of Iraq and many others cheered the toppling  of a Statue at Iraq. Now it may be that the USA had good reason to invade and had a  conquerer's right to encourage/celebrate citizens  toppling of statues of their former dictator. BUT the emotion, is it not much the same as today  in the USA and elsewhere? Is not the toppling and the nose breakings terrorism and also heroic  activity at the same time to one party or another?

Many a statue was melted in the past to make weapons of war, many a weapon of war was remelted to make plowshares. All the energy spent on symbols and little on prayer one for another that each will come to see Jesus is Lord. Seems mostly a  ministry of distraction to me. Why what doesn't get toppled in time does get eroded from acid rains. And it's all going to burn anyway. Will any of the statues be part of a new Heaven and  a New earth? I doubt it.

16 hours ago, Sower said:

I remember that.
I read he kept his airplane there before the noise got bad.
Recently heard they're going to take his bronze statue down there because of his
tough western comments on film are hurting sensitive feelings.
(remember, California, not so ironic!)

He had a great love of our country, not like today's Hollywood crowd.
copy paste below, the tube.     (7 min, cool)

John Wayne & Celebrity Ensemble - God Bless America

Or maybe it was because in interviews  he said he believed in white supremacy until blacks were  educated a the point of responsibility and that nothing was wrong with taking land fron the native Americans.

I have walked through that airport a number of times while living in the SoCal area.  I always chuckled to myself every time I saw the statue.  

Point being, if he had his way it would never have been named after him in the first place.

Edited by Knotical

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Or maybe it was because in interviews  he said he believed in white supremacy until blacks were  educated a the point of responsibility and that nothing was wrong with taking land fron the native Americans.

That was nice of you mechanic, to point out that the Duke was only flesh and blood......like us.

35 minutes ago, Sower said:

That was nice of you mechanic, to point out that the Duke was only flesh and blood......like us.

Youre welcome. Was just clarifying it. You said  it was cause his  of his tough western comments on film . Just showing these may be more. 

Tbh.  I don't think all statues should come down. IMHO Some should  (e.g Columbus definately ) but people are taking it a bit too far. My fear is  People are getting too aggressive with what they dislike. One day it may be statues of Jesus or any religious figure

2 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Youre welcome. Was just clarifying it. You said  it was cause his  of his tough western comments on film . Just showing these may be more. 

Tbh.  I don't think all statues should come down. IMHO Some should  (e.g Columbus definately ) but people are taking it a bit too far. My fear is  People are getting too aggressive with what they dislike. One day it may be statues of Jesus or any religious figure

Don't look now, but this is already happening.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,632
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I always call it Orange County Airport. And always avoid using it. Geesh launching or really jumping up from there is dangerous no room for error  same with landing, a stall  is a fatal for sure. As the crews say  "Sssh be quiet everyone, we are about to fly over rich people". Cracks me up as the planes fly directly over where my own family once lived and some still do.