Should I serve in worldly ministry?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, so I am currently torn about wanting to serve in youth ministry. Our middle school and high school ministry is fairly worldly. They have moments of Bible study, but they have a ton of worldliness thrown in. I guess to draw more kids in.

For example, I allowed my 11 year old daughter to go with our youth pastor and other kids to a christian camp on Sunday (they come back Saturday the 11th), everything seemed to be going ok, but last night the youth pastor posted a live video on his facebook of "zombie night".... basically half the kids dressed up in scary face paint and ripped clothes, and wandered around like zombies, groaning and chasing after the other kids, the non zombies tried to collect the glow sticks. This was all done outside in the dark. I guess some kids were crying because they were scared. And apparently they do this every year! I was NOT happy about this. My friend whose daughter also went, said she isn't happy about it either.

I'm thinking to myself "how does this glorify Christ?" I felt lied to in a way, I spent money for my daughter to have a safe christian experience, not a worldly experience. I didn't see this event advertised at all on their website? 

I feel like if I say anything about this I will be called a "Karen" because I am "lame" and not fun. I wanted to go next year and be a counselor. But I am having 2nd thoughts.

I know our youth ministry is worldly, but I have a desire to serve, to be a good influence and make a change. I don't know. Maybe I should just let it fall apart? 

What would you guys do?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

So this is just my 2 cents -

It's questionable as to whether the zombie game is age appropriate, but I don't think games in general are automatically "worldly". From what you describe, this one just sounds like a 'spooky' variant of tag. Fellowship with other Christians is important for our children (and us). There doesn't always have to be some explicit, extra-spiritual component to enjoying the blessing of each other's company. Christians in Godly fellowship enjoying the life God has given us in a Godly manner "glorifies Christ".

My advice would be to observe the fruit in your daughter when she returns. Did she have a good time, develop Christian friendships, return home excited (especially with regards to her fellowship with God and other Christians)? Or did she come home with a bad attitude (a common symptom of too much worldliness) - Note: not just tired after a big weekend, but something that takes time to correct itself while under your positive influence.

Obviously, you have to ask God whether or not to get yourself involved. If you decide to offer your time, you should be honest with the leadership about your concerns (if you still have them).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

12 hours ago, bornagain2011 said:

Yeah, so I am currently torn about wanting to serve in youth ministry. Our middle school and high school ministry is fairly worldly. They have moments of Bible study, but they have a ton of worldliness thrown in. I guess to draw more kids in.

For example, I allowed my 11 year old daughter to go with our youth pastor and other kids to a christian camp on Sunday (they come back Saturday the 11th), everything seemed to be going ok, but last night the youth pastor posted a live video on his facebook of "zombie night".... basically half the kids dressed up in scary face paint and ripped clothes, and wandered around like zombies, groaning and chasing after the other kids, the non zombies tried to collect the glow sticks. This was all done outside in the dark. I guess some kids were crying because they were scared. And apparently they do this every year! I was NOT happy about this. My friend whose daughter also went, said she isn't happy about it either.

I'm thinking to myself "how does this glorify Christ?" I felt lied to in a way, I spent money for my daughter to have a safe christian experience, not a worldly experience. I didn't see this event advertised at all on their website? 

I feel like if I say anything about this I will be called a "Karen" because I am "lame" and not fun. I wanted to go next year and be a counselor. But I am having 2nd thoughts.

I know our youth ministry is worldly, but I have a desire to serve, to be a good influence and make a change. I don't know. Maybe I should just let it fall apart? 

What would you guys do?

Do what god is put into your heart. You will change lives and you can make a difference in the lives of the people you will minister to and also you will help the place of learning where you will be ministering. God will bless you so keep on it, i wish you all the best.

• Thumbs Up 1