IGNORED

Giving To Online Strangers

Jedi4Yahweh

Guest theElect777
14 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I was recently contracted in this forum from a complete stranger who claims they are from India and has a ministry serving the poor and is asking me to donate.  I am a little leery about giving to ministries or people I have never met Or know nothing about.  So many scams out there hard to know?  What’s your thoughts?

Same thing happened to me a few days ago.  They contacted me in a one on one chat box.  Ultimately, they wanted my email to send me information concerning their church.   This individual even claimed to be the pastor.   His name he gave was Samuel.   I gave him a phoney email address which he wrote back was invalid.   By then he had moved onto other members here.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, theElect777 said:

Same thing happened to me a few days ago.  They contacted me in a one on one chat box.  Ultimately, they wanted my email to send me information concerning their church.   This individual even claimed to be the pastor.   His name he gave was Samuel.   I gave him a phoney email address which he wrote back was invalid.   By then he had moved onto other members here.

Same guy!

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest theElect777
2 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Same guy!

I figured he would move onto someone else.   it's good thing you felt odd about it like I did.   We must look like easy targets :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

3 minutes ago, theElect777 said:

I figured he would move onto someone else.   it's good thing you felt odd about it like I did.   We must look like easy targets :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

I was on to him when he asked me from my personal email...I knew right at that moment he is about to send me some scam.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest theElect777
6 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I was on to him when he asked me from my personal email...I knew right at that moment he is about to send me some scam.

Same here and why I gave him a fake one.   On the first page of this thread several Mods claimed this was taken cared of.   I had a feeling he would contact someone eventually who would stop him cold in his tracks.

3 minutes ago, theElect777 said:

Same here and why I gave him a fake one.   On the first page of this thread several Mods claimed this was taken cared of.   I had a feeling he would contact someone eventually who would stop him cold in his tracks.

I gave him my email...just out of curiosity and to confirm my suspicions.

Guest theElect777
9 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I gave him my email...just out of curiosity and to confirm my suspicions.

Ahhh, so you took it to the next level.   Just out of curiosity here, did he send information about his church or go directly for money?

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

Twice I was approached by a "very respectful" gentleman from India. I was just as respectful back, suggesting to him that everything he was asking for should be made out in the open, in the forum, so that everyone could multiply his need. I informed him that no one who comes here should expect anything in a private message setting. He thanked me, made a few pleasant remarks, and it ended. Once they know it cannot go anywhere, they are quick to exit. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,417
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I was recently contracted in this forum from a complete stranger who claims they are from India and has a ministry serving the poor and is asking me to donate.  I am a little leery about giving to ministries or people I have never met Or know nothing about.  So many scams out there hard to know?  What’s your thoughts?

It sounds pretty shady. Strangers asking for money online is a pretty dubious thing in general. It doesn't hurt to ask for more information but as a general rule I wouldn't do it.

11 hours ago, theElect777 said:

Ahhh, so you took it to the next level.   Just out of curiosity here, did he send information about his church or go directly for money?

No...he sent me an email saying what his ministry does in India.  He was very admit about me sending him a reply email.  I am sure he is use to people giving him a fake email. lol  Then he sent me a second email begging for donations.  I did not reply after that.  I dont mind helping hurting Christians but this one seemed pretty shady and I dont think its a very ethical way of begging for funds online though private messaging whom you do not know.   I believe in loving your neighbor but a neighbor is someone you know locally whom you can see their struggles.  I think giving to far away places that you dont know much about while neglecting those around you is a sin and hypocritical.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh