Shimon

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

parashas Eikev (Deuteronomy 7:12 - 11:25)

“And now, Israel, what doth the L-RD thy G-d require of thee, but to fear the L-RD thy G-d, to walk in all His ways, and to love Him, and to serve the L-RD thy G-d with all thy heart and with all thy soul; to keep for thy good the commandments of the L-RD, and His statutes, which I command thee this day?”

• - Deuteronomy 10:12, JPS 1917 Tanach

The fear of G-d (yiras H’Shem) is a major component of one’s relationship to G-d. Fear, in the sense of awe, reverence, and respect is conveyed by the phrase, yiras H’Shem. “What doth the L-RD thy G-d require of thee, but to fear the L-RD thy G-d?” (10:12) The quality of yiras H’Shem contributes to the level of Kedushah (holiness) in a person’s life.

Our response to H’Shem’s directive, through His commandments, requires giving Him the due respect that He deserves as our King. Every aspect of our lives may become sanctified through our devotion to Him. “You were washed, you were made holy, you were set right in the name of the Lord Yeshua the Messiah and by the Ruach of our G-d” (1 Corinthians 6:11, Tree of Life Version).

“Conduct yourself with yirat Shomayim [Fear of Heaven], during your time in the Golus [Exile] of the Olam Hazeh [This World.]”

• - 1 Kefa 1:17b, Orthodox Jewish Bible

“It will be your time of faithfulness, a wealth of salvation, wisdom and knowledge – the fear of Ad-nai is His treasure” (Isaiah33:6, TLV). H’Shem values our awe, reverence, and respect towards Him. Our degree of yiras H’Shem, exemplified through our thought, speech and action (the fruit of our works) is considered a treasure to H’Shem.

Additionally, we may look forward to renewed lives, when we bow in our hearts to H’Shem, maintaining a careful attitude towards His commandments. “To keep the mitzvot of Ad-nai and His statutes that I am commanding you today, for your own good” (Deuteronomy 1:13, TLV). “For we are His workmanship—created in Messiah Yeshua for good deeds, which G-d prepared beforehand so we might walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10, TLV).

Edited by Shimon

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

42 minutes ago, Shimon said:

parashas Eikev (Deuteronomy 7:12 - 11:25)

“And now, Israel, what doth the L-RD thy G-d require of thee, but to fear the L-RD thy G-d, to walk in all His ways, and to love Him, and to serve the L-RD thy G-d with all thy heart and with all thy soul; to keep for thy good the commandments of the L-RD, and His statutes, which I command thee this day?”

• - Deuteronomy 10:12, JPS 1917 Tanach

The fear of G-d (yiras H’Shem) is a major component of one’s relationship to G-d. Fear, in the sense of awe, reverence, and respect is conveyed by the phrase, yiras H’Shem. “What doth the L-RD thy G-d require of thee, but to fear the L-RD thy G-d?” (10:12) The quality of yiras H’Shem contributes to the level of Kedushah (holiness) in a person’s life.

Our response to H’Shem’s directive, through His commandments, requires giving Him the due respect that He deserves as our King. Every aspect of our lives may become sanctified through our devotion to Him. “You were washed, you were made holy, you were set right in the name of the Lord Yeshua the Messiah and by the Ruach of our G-d” (1 Corinthians 6:11, Tree of Life Version).

“Conduct yourself with yirat Shomayim [Fear of Heaven], during your time in the Golus [Exile] of the Olam Hazeh [This World.]”

• - 1 Kefa 1:17b, Orthodox Jewish Bible

“It will be your time of faithfulness, a wealth of salvation, wisdom and knowledge – the fear of Ad-nai is His treasure” (Isaiah33:6, TLV). H’Shem values our awe, reverence, and respect towards Him. Our degree of yiras H’Shem, exemplified through our thought, speech and action (the fruit of our works) is considered a treasure to H’Shem.

Additionally, we may look forward to renewed lives, when we bow in our hearts to H’Shem, maintaining a careful attitude towards His commandments. “To keep the mitzvot of Ad-nai and His statutes that I am commanding you today, for your own good” (Deuteronomy 1:13, TLV). “For we are His workmanship—created in Messiah Yeshua for good deeds, which G-d prepared beforehand so we might walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10, TLV).

Interesting of all the many reasons for Christians given in the N T to display there love for God, this verse from Ephesians is quoted.

What of the right we have to be Sons of God., Or of our adoption in to his family, being co heirs with Christ.

Then there is Jesus's direct command to us, " If we Love him, then we Will Obey his commands!" 

There are many other verses that tell us why we should love our Lord and Saviour.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

The awe of God. This is not directed at the op.. I am thinking now how I have seen all my life some post G-D or l-rd. As if ths is giving GOD some kind of respect. For me GOD means nothing. How does shortening that give Him respect yet saying JESUS/YESHUA that is seated on the right hand of God and all things were made by Him. And saying Adonai, Ancient of Days, Adonai,  YHWH(Jehovah) Jehovah Mekoddishkemm Jehovah shammah Jehovah sabaothm Jehovah Shalom, Jehovah Rapham Jehovah Raah, Jehovah Nissi, Jehovah Jireh, Father (abba)m elshaddai, El Olamm El Roi, El Elyon, Elohim,Ancient of Days.. etc. But saying GOD we shorten it... a word that does not even begin to describe the great I AM!

OT there was so much written for a reason. God set them free by Moshe (Moses) and go back and look at all that He did for them.. all the way to when they got to the MTN. Something God says .. and then Israel answers something back that changed everything.. not for the better.  God.. the Father is nothing like man. Think.. you have all these Children that you did do anything for. Then to hear Him say "they don't want me as king". Yet still loves them and gives them what they want. And.. what He wants is "My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes delight in my ways". Just things I was thinking about now..

How do you love someone you don't know? The 12 live with Christ morning to night. Every day for about 3 years. He said to them if you love me you will keep my commands. And though we have His words MAN again steps in and speaks for God and what He really meant by that verse. How can you love you someone you don't know? If we can't love those around us.. those we talk to every day. If we can't show them respect honer so forth so on.. we think we can do that for a GOD we don't know? Love each other as in believers do we :) No. He and He alone is the only one that does this.

We hear/read the word so many times. And sometimes something just shines "they didn't want me as king" "its not you they have rejected, but they have rejected Me as their king". <---so I try to wonder.. I am made in the image of God. God does get mad, upset, happy joyful.. on and on.  Israel is like a woman selling her self. A line of men in front of her and God? Stands in line and buys her back. On and on and on.. He comes as His own creation and again they reject Him. There is NONE like our GOD. His love never fails. He made promises to Israel and to ALL that will believe. Though they are promises.. He wants to loves to keep them His word. They reject Me as their king. <--I don't know why but past day or so those words just hit me like a ton of bricks. Want so much to defend my Father yet..I have so many times in my life done the same exact thing. He never ever will give up on us. The AWE of God? Pick up a grain of sand.. we have not even touched what who are Father...GOD is.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Thank you for your comment. I'm sure that this type of designation, when referring to G-d is often misunderstood. It is precisely out of deference to His Name, that this is done, based on the verse, "Ye shall not do so unto the L-rd your G-d" (Deuteronomy 12:4), within the overall context of the previous verses, that command Israel to destroy places of pagan idolatrous worships, as well as their idols." One small practical application of 12:4, is to not desecrate G-d's name by accidentally throwing its written form away, or even, when pixels are disassembled on an Internet page. Not everyone is concerned with this stringency, nor do I expect others to agree with this practice. I do so because of my respect, awe, and reverence towards G-d. Others have their own way, that may be different than mine.