Shimon

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

The first words of the Torah, “In the beginning” confer upon the creation narrative a sense of primacy, inasmuch that this particular beginning is that of G’d’s creation. There is a parallel reference: “AD’NAI brought me forth, the first of His way, before His works of old. From eternity I was appointed from the beginning, before the world began” (Proverbs 8:22-23, TLV). According to traditional commentary, this is a reference to Torah; yet, within the overall context of the chapter in Proverbs, this is a personification of wisdom.

Another viewpoint is revealed, by taking into consideration the following: reishis – the first word in Torah, preceded by the letter beis, used as a prepositional prefix (in), forms bereishis, “in the beginning.” Yet, chazal focus on the word reishis (first), asking what else in Torah is described as reishis? Included in the answer are the firstborn, first fruits, and the first portion of dough that is given to a Kohein. Implied is the understanding that our efforts in life need to be sanctified by giving of ourselves to G’d.

Furthermore, that which is called reishis (first) is seen as the reason the world was created. An even more striking rendering of this approach, “Rav says: The world was created only for the sake of David, by virtue of his merit. And Shmuel says: It was created by virtue of the merit of Moses. And Rabbi Yoḥanan says: It was created by virtue of the merit of the Messiah” (Sanhedrin 98b, Sefaria).

Another rendering of the world being created for the sake of reishis: Messiah is reishis (first), the L’RD made him as the beginning of His way, the first of His works (Proverbs 8:23). “He is the image of the invisible G’d, the firstborn of all creation” (Colossians 1:15, TLV). “He exists before everything, and in Him all holds together” (Colosians 1:17, TLV).

Consider that the preexistence of Messiah is also mentioned by the sages, “Seven things were formed before the creation of the world: The Law, Repentance, Paradise, Gehenna, the Throne of Glory, the Temple, and the name of the Messiah,” (P’sachim 54a). In Hebraic understanding, a name represents the essence of the entity named; therefore, it is understandable to perceive this Talmudic statement as pointing towards the preexistence of Messiah. Additionally, chazal associate the Messiah with the Ruach HaElokim (Spirit of G’d) that hovered over the surface of the water (Genesis 1:2).

“When there were no depths, I was brought forth, when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth. He had not yet made the land, the fields, or the first of the dust of the earth. When He set the heavens in place, I was there. When He inscribed the horizon on the face of the ocean, when He established the skies above, when He securely fixed the fountains of the deep, when He set the boundaries of the sea, so that the waters never transgress His command, when He laid out earth’s foundations – then I was the craftsman beside Him, I was His daily delight, always rejoicing before Him, rejoicing in His whole world, and delighting in mankind.”

• Proverbs 8:24-31, Tree of Life Version
Edited by Shimon