Shimon

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

“Behold [See], I set before you this day a blessing and a curse: the blessing, if ye shall hearken unto the commandments of the L’RD your G’d, which I command you this day; and the curse, if ye shall not hearken unto the commandments of the L’RD your G’d, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day.”

- Deuteronomy 11:25-28, JPS 1917 Tanach

The Hebrew word, re’eh, meaning, to see, may also be understood as “to perceive.” This reading of the word re’eh, may allude to a more subtle understanding of the passage. Consider that to some degree, we may know intellectually that there are consequences for the choices that we make in our lives. Yet, our discernment falls short of the mark, if we do not acknowledge this principle within the realm of our everyday lives, specifically, within the sphere of morality, in regard to our every thought, word, and deed.

“It shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt bethink thyself among all the nations” (Deuteronomy 30:1, JPS). When we “bethink thyself” of the blessings and curses, i.e., perceive that the consequences of our actions are a direct result of either following or not following the commandments, then, we will “return unto the L’RD thy G’d” (Deuteronomy 30:3, JPS). (Because we are able to acknowledge this divine principle in our lives, that gives testimony to His sovereignty, and the authoritative nature of the commandments).

In other words, we will be compelled to return to the L’RD, when we see the evidence of G’d’s influence in our lives, by way of the individual blessings and curses that we receive, based upon our conduct in life. This awareness draws us closer to the L’RD, Who is the progenitor of the commandments given to at Sinai. Therefore, we are then able to recognize His influence in our lives, in a direct manner, via the causal relationship between our actions and their consequences. To recognize a divine principle at work, is to accept His Attribute of Justice.

“Straight is the gate, narrow is the way that leads to [eternal] life.”

- Matthew 7:14

The L’RD makes His expectations known, by encouraging B’nei Yisrael to choose wisely. “I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life.” Sifrei comments that the additional words, “choose life” are meant to convey the understanding that the L’RD did not mean to imply that it is of no consequence, whichever way we would choose to go. Rather, He encourages us to choose life – chayei olam (eternal life) through making the right choices in our day to day lives.

Every moment contains a potential blessing and curse: the choice is ours to make, dependent upon our awareness at the time, in regard to our response to that moment (Me’or Eynayim). This is the level of kedushah (holiness) that the L’RD requires of us: to endeavor to make the right choice in every moment. Additionally, to learn from our mistakes, when we respond in a manner that is less than optimal in the L’RD’s eyes.

This requires a constant monitoring of our behavior – what is referred to as internal control, as opposed to an external control. With internal control, an individual may focus on his own thoughts, speech, and action, while examining the conscience at all times. [An accounting of the soul (heshbon hanefesh) may also be made at a designated time of the day]. External control is when someone else points out our mistakes to us. “If we would examine ourselves, we would not come under judgment” (1 Corinthians 11:31, CJB).

If we do not accept upon ourselves the yoke of Shomayim (Heaven), as revealed by Messiah, then we will be burdened by the consequences of our sins at the time of judgment. Accepting the yoke of Heaven entails placing the responsibilities of an observant life upon us, by way of permeating our lives with the words of G’d. That is bringing into submission, each and every aspect of our lives, so that we are living in accordance with G’d’s word. We must be servants in this life, for the sake of eternal life in the next.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

761627486_images(1).jpg.edd35fb1e745a612c8d84a7bae9d9676.jpg