IGNORED

Suggestions for Biblical topical reference books?

Workman

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

This is a portion (first two paragraphs) of the Introduction I transcribed from Dr. Herbert Lockyer’s All the Women of the Bible, part of his ALL Series.  As I said, I got a chuckle out of his reaction to a project in the first paragraph.  In the second paragraph he mentions Edith Deen's book about women of the Bible.  Based on HL's glowing recommendation, I'm going on a hunt for it. 

In 1956, during one of his business trips to Europe, Pat Zondervan, of the Zondervan Publishing House, and I met in a London hotel to talk over matters of mutual interest.  Having been associated with both Pat and Bernie Zondervan from the small beginning of their now large publishing concern, I was always excited over any new venture undertaken.  I was not prepared, however, for Pat’s surprising proposal that I should author a large volume on All the Men of the Bible.  But after a full discussion of the project, I consented, somewhat reluctantly, to the commission.  At the time I did not realize that the Bible mentions some 3,000 men, but when I did I became frightened at the task of trying to delineate God’s portrait gallery of male characters.  Well, the volume appeared in 1958, and has gone through many editions.

The most logical companion study to follow would have been All the Women of the Bible, but in 1955 there had appeared a book bearing this title by the gifted authoress, Edith Deen.  Published by Harper and Brothers, New York, this entrancing and incomparable coverage of the theme is the most comprehensive one extant, and one which no student of the female characters of Scripture should be without.  It is superb in its classification and exposition of every known and unknown woman in the Bible, and will remain a classic in its field.  Along with multitudes of other Bible lovers I acknowledge with gratitude my debt to Edith Deen for her monumental work."

Edited by Workman

• 2 months later...

My library is building fast.  I acquired 4 more of the Lockyer All series:

All the Trades and Occupations, Divine Names and Titles, All the Angels, and All About Bible Study.  The "All Angels" volume was written by his son, HL Jr.  The Bible Study volume will be a HUGE help in keeping me focused.

It's an ex-library book that came all the way from Britain.  The publisher was Pickering & Inglis in London/Glasgow, along with a sticker and stamp inside that say "Regents Theological College Library"  Ex-library books tend to be the best used books because there's no writing or highlighting, and I don't mind the library stamps, I think they  are interesting, even the ones that have "Date Due" stamps like I remember when I was a kid.  I have a fictional book somewhere that has Date Due stamps from the 1920s.

Anyway, at least one of the recommendations in the Lockyer Bible Study book aren't around anymore, e.g. under Bible recommendations, one of them was a Scofield Reference Bible in loose-leaf format, published by Oxford University Press.  I checked, they don't publish them anymore.  My first pastor in the early 70s loved his Scofield loose-leaf, said he went through four of them (My goal, with God's help, is to be as studious as he was!)  I did see one on ebay, which included some instructions on removing and inserting pages.  Frankly, I wouldn't have called it "loose-leaf" because it looked like a big hassle taking it apart and putting it back together, plus the refills aren't available anymore.  That's not really a big disappointment because although I do like the prose of KJV, for study I prefer more modern translations.

I also just ordered a used set in Very Good condition of "Word Pictures of the New Testament" by A. T. Robertson.  It was one of the recommendations in Lockyer's Bible Study volume.

Edited by Workman

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  537
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

LOVE that so many here have so much reference material and are listing them.

I do a lot of on-line topical research, and word studies in English, koine Greek, and Hebrew and have had most of my material recommended by the many authors of the thousands of commentaries I have read and printed out for further research for my own assembled commentaries over the last 7 years or so. Love computers and the information hiway, but like many of you, I love my hard-copies for Greek and Hebrew studies.

My favorite series, by Spiros Zodhiates, Th.D.                                                                       The Complete Word Study New Testament.                                                                     The Complete Word Study Dictionary - New testament                                                 The Complete Word Study - Old Testament                                                                     The complete Word Study Dictionary - Old Testament 

I have 2 copies of the first 2 on the New Testament, and use one copy to cut up and use for validating my personal commentaries. I keep one complete as reference material.                                                                                                                                                  For more Greek and Hebrew studies.                                                   

William Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New testament Words.    I have 3 copies of this book and have cut up 2 of them for validating my personal commentaries. I keep one complete as reference material.

Vine's Expanded Expository Dictionary - I have 2 and cut up one.                              Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary  - I have 2 and cut up one.

5 volume Pictorial  Encyclopedia of the Bible - Zondervan and Merrill C. Tenny.

10 volume Kittel Theological Dictionary of the New Testament - Gerhard Kittel.

Roget's Thesaurus of the Bible - 2 copies - One to cut up, and one for reference.        Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form.

Thayer's Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament.

The new Testament Textus Receptus Edition.                                                                  A Parsing Guide to the Textus Receptus New Testament.

The Journey From Texts to Translation - The Origin and Development of the Bible.

The Interlinear Bible - Greek Hebrew English - By Green                                              An Interlinear for Beginners- A Reverse Interlinear for New Testament Word studies - William D. Mounce.

Strongest NASB Exhaustive Concordance - Zondervan                                              The NIV Exhaustive Concordance - Goodrick & Kohlenberger III.                                  New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible - Foundation Publications.

William Mounce Instructional books, DVD's, CD's, on the Basics of learning Greek.  Basics of Biblical Greek - Book form - William D. Mounce.                                            Basics of Biblical Greek - Video lecture - William D. Mounce                                        Basics of biblical Greek Vocabulary - Audio CD - Mounce.

Greek for the Rest of Us - Essentials of Biblical Greek for Beginners - Mounce.          Greek for the rest of Us - Video lectures - An introduction for beginners - Mounce.

And nearly 50 different bible translations including a Messianich  Bible - The Complete Jewish Bible - Jewish new testament Publications, Inc.,                          and several "Chronological Study Bibles" by various authors and publishing houses, that you might find interesting.     

Sorry about the references not being organized properly.

Worthy's program wouldn't allow it, as hard as I tried.     

All of these are wonderful reference material, but you have to take into account that each author and publisher have their own "Doctrinal choices", so no matter what material your using, you'll have to take that into account.

My name is Arrabon                                                                                 

Edited by Arrabon

7 hours ago, Arrabon said:

Sorry about the references not being organized properly.

What I usually do is when I'm posting something more than just a sentence or two, I compose it on MS Word then copy and paste it here.  I do that on most forums and emails.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  537
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

6 hours ago, Workman said:

What I usually do is when I'm posting something more than just a sentence or two, I compose it on MS Word then copy and paste it here.  I do that on most forums and emails.

@Workman

Your suggestion is "Brillant" and helpful.

THANK YOU!!!

Edited by Arrabon
  • Thumbs Up 1