missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Getting DNA testing has become quite popular. Do you think a Christian should get DNA testing? There have been some people who have liked some of the results but some people who have not liked some of the results. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

I don't see a big issue with doing it. Just take the results with a grain of salt.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

IF a Christian is seriously trying to identify themselves with who they are, they need to look no further than Christ,  Because that is who you are

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Missmuffet,

Just to get it out-of-the-way, there is nothing immoral or unChristian about DNA testing.

My concerns are probably more in the 'conspiracy theory' realm. Once you have given your DNA to someone, you have given them enough information to construct your personal genome (and by default, most of the genome of your close relatives – including descendants). International law is vague and variant with regards to who owns that information and what they are permitted to do with it. It is plausible that this could one day be used against you – for example, to restrict your future access to health/life insurances or career options. Technology is moving so fast – there is no way to tell how this information might be used in the future.

Also, I don't think the the claimed results are necessarily accurate; especially those based on secular models of human history and migration. Only a relative few markers are tested. So I'm not sure any pay-off is worth the money or effort (i.e. it is borderline dishonesty to claim that the result mean what they claim they do).

If it's just for curiosity, I suppose there is no real harm (so long as you do not put too much emotional stock in the results). I personally do not like the idea of my DNA sample sitting in someone's freezer, or my genome being available to whoever for whatever, or stored in hackable computer systems. But that's just me. I'd only consider getting a DNA test for medical reasons.

I guess the main question for me would be – 'Are the results worth the cost and privacy risks?'.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

15 hours ago, DDisconnect said:

I can't disagree with it from a scriptural standpoint, only from elsewhere. Main one being that insurance companies can request that information as they please and then use any info they find to alter your rates as they please. So they might see an increased risk of heart disease in your genetics and jack up the price you pay.

Other one being, what does it matter? I'm of Celtic/Anglo-Saxon ancestry and while it is nice to know about a bit of the history and culture, it has no bearing on me. I would take the test and it would just be, "Surprise, you pale boy, you are white. Astonishing, we know." Even if something weird appeared like 0.6% indigenous, that wouldn't change much. Not nearly enough to sit there and act like I'm Pawnee or whatever tribe it might be connected to. It's just meaningless, in my opinion.

Anyone can use that information regarding your DNA. Perhaps some companies would charge to give out your DNA information. More money for them. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,291
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  99

37 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Anyone can use that information regarding your DNA. Perhaps some companies would charge to give out your DNA information. More money for them. 

For what purpose, may I ask? One's DNA doesn't inform the inquirer regarding a person's habits nor their behaviors. It doesn't spell out how an individual thinks, either. This sort of information is what companies actually pay for, missmuffet. 

Each time you make a purchase... every time you access the internet... your mouse clicks on webpages... your geolocation... populates a profile unique to your IP maintained by a number of tech firms such as google (Alphabet) and Facebook. Both have come under fire for selling this information. 

This is known as "data mining." Our DNA is nothing compared to our habits. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

16 hours ago, DDisconnect said:

I can't disagree with it from a scriptural standpoint, only from elsewhere. Main one being that insurance companies can request that information as they please and then use any info they find to alter your rates as they please. So they might see an increased risk of heart disease in your genetics and jack up the price you pay.

Other one being, what does it matter? I'm of Celtic/Anglo-Saxon ancestry and while it is nice to know about a bit of the history and culture, it has no bearing on me. I would take the test and it would just be, "Surprise, you pale boy, you are white. Astonishing, we know." Even if something weird appeared like 0.6% indigenous, that wouldn't change much. Not nearly enough to sit there and act like I'm Pawnee or whatever tribe it might be connected to. It's just meaningless, in my opinion.

Existing law prohibits insurance companies from engaging in such unethical behavior, my friend. In any case, it's a simple matter to collect a sample of one's DNA from routine lab work. :) 

I agree that information regarding one's ancestry is frivolous. Like most people alive on this earth, I'm a hodge-podge and I don't require genetic analysis to inform me of this truth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

17 hours ago, teddyv said:

I don't see a big issue with doing it. Just take the results with a grain of salt.

I had to get it done since my rheumatoid counts prevented a good blood test. DNA confirmed what they thought they knew already. 

• Praying! 1

4 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

I had to get it done since my rheumatoid counts prevented a good blood test. DNA confirmed what they thought they knew already. 

An example of the usefulness of genetic analysis. It has also aided authorities in identifying and eventually apprehending those who are guilty of the most heinous crimes. 

With the recent advance in protein folding (an unintended byproduct of pandemic research), all manner of possibilities present themselves. This is the key to curing genetic maladies and most forms of disease. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Praying for you, brother. Rheumatoid arthritis is an ordeal...

• Thanks 1