• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

What's wrong with Scofield?

Apparently he wasn't such a good guy. He abandoned his wife and children. Got divorced and remaried quickly. Then spend time in jail. I was very surprised to read this. But I guess God can use all kinds of people to fulfill His purpose. To read more about C.I. Scofield follow the link below.

C.I. Scofield

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell me about it. Have you heard of the background of the apostle Paul? :wub:

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I would not recommend Scofield from what I hear about him. I believe alot of his teaching is in error.

As far as comparing Paul to Scofield, you are comparing apples to oranges. Scofield is not at all in the same class as Paul, not even close.

CarolineS

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/21/1968

I have a Scofield study bible. I didnt buy it because it is 'scofield' for the same reason i dont buy any other study bible. the notes are only 'his opinions'. i bought it because it has an excellent concordance in it. which is something i look for in any bible. i dont care about the notes, but a good concordance, etc in the back.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  79
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

From my research, the general consensus is that the Scofield Study Bible contains a huge amount of reference/study notes making it one of the if not thee best study bibles available.

I have tried to find out more about dispensationalism vs. covenant but while there is plenty of books written about dispensationalism I haven't found any for covenant theology except books that deal with theology in general.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

would not recommend Scofield from what I hear about him. I believe alot of his teaching is in error.

As far as comparing Paul to Scofield, you are comparing apples to oranges. Scofield is not at all in the same class as Paul, not even close.

CarolineS

Agreed :emot-hug:

I would not recommend Scofield from what I hear about him.  I believe alot of his teaching is in error.

As far as comparing Paul to Scofield, you are comparing apples to oranges.  Scofield is not at all in the same class as Paul, not even close.

CarolineS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point wasn't that "Scofield is as great as Paul, or vice versa."

1Co 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

1Co 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

We are all NOTHING, and that is what Paul is saying above.

My point was that someone's background (Scofield's, in this case) is irrelevant to who they now are in Christ.

Trust me... before Christ I was as wretched as they come. When I tell people my testimony they are amazed... they figure I've been a Christian all my life. Not so. We all have pasts and that is what makes the work of God in our lives so powerful.

1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

From my research, the general consensus is that the Scofield Study Bible contains a huge amount of reference/study notes making it one of the if not thee best study bibles available.

I have tried to find out more about dispensationalism vs. covenant but while there is plenty of books written about dispensationalism I haven't found any for covenant theology except books that deal with theology in general.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PM EricH. He takes to the "Covenant Theology" line of thought and may have some references for you to look at. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Scofield was a big promoter of dispensationalism, so his study notes are very biased that way.  I suggest you study the issues regarding covenant  theology and dispensationalism first, then read his notes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, that's why I would vote "bad". (But "bad" isn't really the right word. Wrong would be my choice).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

What's wrong with Scofield?

Apparently he wasn't such a good guy. He abandoned his wife and children. Got divorced and remaried quickly. Then spend time in jail.

And worse - he was a dispensationalist!! :)

J/K!!

*Ducking the rotten tomatos*