IGNORED

A question to those who would promote the idea that some of the bible is figurative and NOT literal

Riverwalker

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

Honestly I don’t think you have to be a typical Christian, you can be a Christian without being typical.

the wafer and wine is a odd practice to do IMO, It’s called the Eucharist. The Catholic Church teaches that during the consecration of bread and wine, both bread and wine become the body (known as the host) and blood of Jesus Christ. This change is brought about in the eucharistic prayer through the efficacy of the word of Christ and by the action of the Holy Spirit.

I'm aware of the Catholic view. I don't agree with it. Its a example of not being literal.

Edited by Whyme
adding
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,874
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

1 minute ago, Whyme said:

I'm aware of the Catholic view. I don't agree with it. Its a example of not being literal.

I think it’s a example of taking a figurative statement from the Bible and turning it into a literal practice.

11 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

I think it’s a example of taking a figurative statement from the Bible and turning it into a literal practice.

Agreed. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, Whyme said:

I know Jesus but don't take communion. I'm not a typical Christian but I have much hope still. I don't think Jesus referred to communion at all. My faith doest teach me that I don't have Jesus if I don't have bread and wine.

“The people found Jesus on the other side of the lake. They asked him, “Teacher, when did you come here?” He answered, “Why are you looking for me? Is it because you saw miraculous signs? The truth is, you are looking for me because you ate the bread and were satisfied. But earthly food spoils and ruins. So don’t work to get that kind of food. But work to get the food that stays good and gives you eternal life. The Son of Man will give you that food. He is the only one qualified by God the Father to give it to you.” The people asked Jesus, “What does God want us to do?” Jesus answered, “The work God wants you to do is this: to believe in the one he sent.” So the people asked, “What miraculous sign will you do for us? If we can see you do a miracle, then we will believe you. What will you do? Our ancestors were given manna to eat in the desert. As the Scriptures say, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’ ” Jesus said, “I can assure you that Moses was not the one who gave your people bread from heaven. But my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. God’s bread is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” The people said, “Sir, from now on give us bread like that.” Then Jesus said, “I am the bread that gives life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry. No one who believes in me will ever be thirsty. I told you before that you have seen me, and still you don’t believe. The Father gives me my people. Every one of them will come to me. I will always accept them. I came down from heaven to do what God wants, not what I want. I must not lose anyone God has given me. But I must raise them up on the last day. This is what the one who sent me wants me to do. Everyone who sees the Son and believes in him has eternal life. I will raise them up on the last day. This is what my Father wants.” Some Jews began to complain about Jesus because he said, “I am the bread that comes down from heaven.””
‭‭John‬ ‭6:25-41‬ ‭

Jesus is the bread and wine. 

Edited by Hopefully

2 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

“The people found Jesus on the other side of the lake. They asked him, “Teacher, when did you come here?” He answered, “Why are you looking for me? Is it because you saw miraculous signs? The truth is, you are looking for me because you ate the bread and were satisfied. But earthly food spoils and ruins. So don’t work to get that kind of food. But work to get the food that stays good and gives you eternal life. The Son of Man will give you that food. He is the only one qualified by God the Father to give it to you.” The people asked Jesus, “What does God want us to do?” Jesus answered, “The work God wants you to do is this: to believe in the one he sent.” So the people asked, “What miraculous sign will you do for us? If we can see you do a miracle, then we will believe you. What will you do? Our ancestors were given manna to eat in the desert. As the Scriptures say, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’ ” Jesus said, “I can assure you that Moses was not the one who gave your people bread from heaven. But my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. God’s bread is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” The people said, “Sir, from now on give us bread like that.” Then Jesus said, “I am the bread that gives life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry. No one who believes in me will ever be thirsty. I told you before that you have seen me, and still you don’t believe. The Father gives me my people. Every one of them will come to me. I will always accept them. I came down from heaven to do what God wants, not what I want. I must not lose anyone God has given me. But I must raise them up on the last day. This is what the one who sent me wants me to do. Everyone who sees the Son and believes in him has eternal life. I will raise them up on the last day. This is what my Father wants.” Some Jews began to complain about Jesus because he said, “I am the bread that comes down from heaven.””
‭‭John‬ ‭6:25-41‬ ‭

Jesus is the bread and wine. 

Yes but I don't believe bread and wine becomes flesh and blood. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Whyme said:

Take some time with it and really think about what it’s saying.

7 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Take some time with it and really think about what it’s saying.

Jesus is the passover lamb, I think, but when the Hebrews ate it they ate a lamb not human flesh. Maybe I'm missing something?

1 hour ago, Whyme said:

In case you didn’t know this is why people still do it today 

The teaching I gave you is the same that I received from the Lord: On the night when the Lord Jesus was handed over to be killed, he took bread and gave thanks for it. Then he divided the bread and said, “This is my body; it is for you. Eat this to remember me.” In the same way, after they ate, Jesus took the cup of wine. He said, “This cup represents the new agreement from God, which begins with my blood sacrifice. When you drink this, do it to remember me.” This means that every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are telling others about the Lord’s death until he comes again. So if you eat the bread or drink the cup of the Lord in a way that does not fit its meaning, you are sinning against the body and the blood of the Lord. Before you eat the bread and drink the cup, you should examine your own attitude. If you eat and drink without paying attention to those who are the Lord’s body, your eating and drinking will cause you to be judged guilty.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11:23-29‬ ‭

Edited by Hopefully
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

In case you didn’t know this is why people still do it today 

“You can eat and drink in your own homes. It seems that you think God’s church is not important. You embarrass those who are poor. What can I say? Should I praise you? No, I cannot praise you for this. The teaching I gave you is the same that I received from the Lord: On the night when the Lord Jesus was handed over to be killed, he took bread and gave thanks for it. Then he divided the bread and said, “This is my body; it is for you. Eat this to remember me.” In the same way, after they ate, Jesus took the cup of wine. He said, “This cup represents the new agreement from God, which begins with my blood sacrifice. When you drink this, do it to remember me.” This means that every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are telling others about the Lord’s death until he comes again. So if you eat the bread or drink the cup of the Lord in a way that does not fit its meaning, you are sinning against the body and the blood of the Lord. Before you eat the bread and drink the cup, you should examine your own attitude. If you eat and drink without paying attention to those who are the Lord’s body, your eating and drinking will cause you to be judged guilty.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11:22-29‬ ‭

Thank you, im not getting your point though

2 minutes ago, Whyme said:

Thank you, im not getting your point though

My point is not important I just wanted you to see those verses. You asked a question and I thought maybe it would help. If it doesn’t at least I know I tried.