IGNORED

A question to those who would promote the idea that some of the bible is figurative and NOT literal

Riverwalker

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,869
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

Some issues with taking all things literal in the Bible is what the Catholic doctrine does with this verse, hence the bread wafer and sip of wine during services.

john 6

56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Not only that but each "type" of writing is different and uses language and literary devices differently. Furthermore, there's not a single book in the Bible that is comparable to a modern news report. A book of history always carried with it a co-occurring message beyond the mere report of historical events. Each gospel is intended to communicate a co-occurring message beyond mere report of historical event. This is obvious in the fact the term "gospel" has inescapable inherent political significance (and the gospel writers knew this and used the term intentionally). 

May not be a single book, but there are single verses that reads like a news flash.

John 12

14And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, sat thereon; as it is written,

The above verse is the only verse that mentioned anything remotely to donkey and colt account, to know the complete account of this one has to look to the other gospels, John condensed the account to a mere one liner for what ever reason he doesn’t mentioned a lot of things.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

2 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

The most well known usage of this type of figurative language  to express a literal truth are Jesus' Parables.  Was there a good Samaritan, who knows but the complex spiritual truth that Jesus fought to put over to the Jews, is that it is not how you were born that gives you value, but rather what you do. and that is not a truth we can pass off by being figurative

Well here is where the confusion is.

The use of the term figurative by an author always has a clear message.

So to restate your opening post:

The author always has a clear intent of what they want their audience to understand, sometimes they use figurative language, other times they use literal language. 

Who can argue with that statement? 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

24 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Not only that but each "type" of writing is different and uses language and literary devices differently.

I've got an old 1st edition Fee & Douglass How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth which I picked up new within a year or so of when it was released.  Probably one of the most influential books I've read in terms of long-term effect on my life.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  10

5 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

The forth day has me scratching my head.

Genesis 1:16-19
English Standard Version

16 And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. 17 And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

If the sun and moon weren't created until day 4, what metric did God use to define the first three days?

whats a metric? The light is needed for man. Whats your question? Forgive my ignorance. 

17 minutes ago, Josheb said:

lol! Are we sure it was a literal donkey he was literally riding it? And just how literally "young" was the young donkey? What does the literal word "found" literally mean? Was the donkey lost? If so then this is literally about the donkey literally being saved by Jesus literally riding on the donkey and if we allow him with our literal free will to to literally ride us then we can literally be saved. What literal "spiritual truth" is literally communicated by a literal reading of the literal meaning of the literally stated words? :sarc:

Some folks literally use the word "literal" incorrectly. 

Haha well literally I was referring the news Post statement, of coarse there was a literal donkey yet John literally condensed the story for what ever reason.

38 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

Some issues with taking all things literal in the Bible is what the Catholic doctrine does with this verse, hence the bread wafer and sip of wine during services.

john 6

56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

I know Jesus but don't take communion. I'm not a typical Christian but I have much hope still. I don't think Jesus referred to communion at all. My faith doest teach me that I don't have Jesus if I don't have bread and wine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Twice in one thread, three times is most surely not a charm. Later peeps

9 minutes ago, Josheb said:

:off-topic:

Sorry. I felt compelled so please forgive me.

6 minutes ago, Whyme said:

I know Jesus but don't take communion. I'm not a typical Christian but I have much hope still. I don't think Jesus referred to communion at all. My faith doest teach me that I don't have Jesus if I don't have bread and wine.

Honestly I don’t think you have to be a typical Christian, you can be a Christian without being typical.

the wafer and wine is a odd practice to do IMO, It’s called the Eucharist. The Catholic Church teaches that during the consecration of bread and wine, both bread and wine become the body (known as the host) and blood of Jesus Christ. This change is brought about in the eucharistic prayer through the efficacy of the word of Christ and by the action of the Holy Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1