Shimon

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

“Then the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of AD’NAI filled the tabernacle.”

– Exodus 40:34, Tree of Life Version

At Sinai, the L’RD’s Presence was observable in the form of thunder and lightning (Exodus 19:18). His Presence was seen by B’nei Yisrael, previously, before they crossed the Sea of Reeds; at that time, the L’RD’s presence was manifest in the form of the cloud, and the pillar of fire. Additionally, the cloud rested atop Sinai: “AD’NAI said to Moses, ‘I am about to come unto you in a thick cloud, so that the people will hear when I speak with you’”(Exodus 19:9, TLV).

When Moshe was on Sinai with Aaron, Nadav and Avihu and the seventy elders of Israel, (Exodus 24:9), he was called by the L’RD, “Come up to Me on the Mount and stay there; and I will give you the tablets of stone” (24:12); so, “Moses entered into the midst of the cloud” (24:18). R’Bachya explains that in like manner that he was called to go into the cloud of the L’RD’s glory at Sinai, he also could only enter the sanctuary when the cloud of glory filled the sanctuary was when the L’RD would first call to him (R’Bachya on 40:34, sefaria.org).

Let us consider that to a certain extent, if a parallel lesson can be drawn from this reading, then we too will find that as we approach the L’RD, the way may be obscured by His glory, like the cloud atop Sinai and within the Mishkan (Tabernacle). We may find that we are not able to draw close to Him, until He calls us from within the obscurity of our understanding.

“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of G’d.”

– Romans 3:23, Tree of Life Version

R’Bachya further explains, that Moshe was not permitted to share the same “space with G’d’s attribute of kavod (glory);” rather, when he was called either on Sinai, or in the Mishkan, “it was an indication to him that this attribute had departed” from the area (sefaria.org). The experience of Moshe shows how even he was not able to approach G-d’s attribute of glory.

Thus, when we consider ourselves, we are not at the madreiga (level) of Moshe. Our sins weigh us down to the extent of which we need to realize that in this state, we can hardly approach G’d. Yet, He calls to us, as it were, through he who tabernacled among us. “And the Word became flesh and tabernacled among us. We looked upon His glory, the glory of the one and only from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14, TLV).

“Behold, the dwelling of G’d is among men, and He shall tabernacle among them. They shall be His people, and G’d Himself shall be among them and be their G’d.”

– Revelation 21:3, Tree of Life Version

• Thumbs Up 1