• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

1 minute ago, leah777 said:

I find this confusing. Would you mind expanding please? 

The other poster claimed that it was his acceptance (of the gift of salvation) that saved him.  Acceptance is something that we do, which means salvation by works.

The Bible says that we are saved by grace (unmerited favour), through faith and that not of ourselves, so that no-one may boast.  We are not saved because of our faith, but through faith (i.e. that is the means through which God saves us, faith itself being a gift from God).

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1965

9 minutes ago, Sparks said:

A different covenant, if they were saved, at all. 

You were supposed to provide scripture that showed the WERE saved, at all, by Jesus blood.

I showed you how they were made righteous

what other covenant come on man. Tell me how you think they were saved (justified) 

2 minutes ago, Sparks said:

Jesus died on the cross; the Lamb of God, to cancel the records of sin-debt.  He offers it as a gift.  For those that accept His gift, they will be saved, and for those who do not, they will be the lost.

For those who have chosen the gift of salvation, Jesus took their place and absorbed the wrath of the Father, for them, and more.

The substitutionary atonement took place on the cross.  That was when Jesus bore the sins and punishments of the elect. 

Jesus does not take our place because of a choice that we make.  He has already taken the place of his elect, which is why, at the appointed time, God gives us a new heart/spirit, repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, unto salvation.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest clancy
5 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The other poster claimed that it was his acceptance (of the gift of salvation) that saved him.  Acceptance is something that we do, which means salvation by works.

The Bible says that we are saved by grace (unmerited favour), through faith and that not of ourselves, so that no-one may boast.  We are not saved because of our faith, but through faith (i.e. that is the means through which God saves us, faith itself being a gift from God).

Amen!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, David1701 said:

so we are already saved, we claim that salvation through our faith? I had to say yes to God, though. Hence my confusion. I accepted His outstretched hand and said i want to walk with Him. That was a work - no?

10 minutes ago, leah777 said:

so we are already saved, we claim that salvation through our faith? I had to say yes to God, though. Hence my confusion. I accepted His outstretched hand and said i want to walk with Him. That was a work - no?

Jesus bore our sins and punishments on the cross.  This means that he has already redeemed us, propitiated the Father for us and that God cannot justly punish us for our sins, since Jesus has already borne the sins and their punishments.

We need to repent and believe in Jesus Christ, in order to receive that salvation; however, the unregenerate man is hostile towards God, hates the light and will not come to it; so, at the appointed time, God makes his elect born again, giving us a new, soft heart/spirit that repent and believe in Jesus Christ, unto salvation.

We are not saved because of our repentance and faith, but through our repentance and faith.  It is like the difference between someone giving you some clean water, because you make a pipe and put it in the right place; and someone giving you some clean water, by pouring it to you, through the pipe that he puts there for the purpose.

Edited by David1701
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,362
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  99

It might seem like we've digressed from the topic at hand but in truth, we haven't. As @David1701 has pointed out repeatedly, words such as "I chose God" do not appear in the scriptures just like "Pentecostal," "Calvinism," and "Arminianism" are absent. 

The following are words which appear in the scriptures. Refer to our brother's posts in this topic for their scriptural origin. If I share something below which David hasn't covered yet, then I encourage the reader to search the scriptures... you'll find them there.

He loved us first.
Faith is the gift of God.
Salvation is the gift of God. 
We were once slaves to unrighteousness.
No one may come to the Son unless the Father draws them. 
Jesus Christ won't lose a single one whom the Father gives to Him. 
Those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. 
Not of our works so we might not boast.  

Edited by Marathoner
  • Well Said! 1

6 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

It might seem like we've digressed from the topic at hand but in truth, we haven't. As @David1701 has pointed out repeatedly, words such as "I chose God" do not appear in the scriptures just like "Pentecostal," "Calvinism," and "Arminianism" are absent. 

The following are words which appear in the scriptures. Refer to our brother's posts in this topic for their scriptural origin. If I share something below which David hasn't covered yet, then I encourage the reader to search the scriptures... you'll find them there.

He loved us first.
Faith is the gift of God.
Salvation is the gift of God. 
We were once slaves to unrighteousness.
No one may come to the Son unless the Father draws them. 
Jesus Christ won't lose a single one whom the Father gives to Him. 
Those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. 
Not of our works so we might boast.  

Amen!

Just one, little thing: I'd add a "not", before "boast", in the final point of your list.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  6,160
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

You're really stuck on the idea that we have the freewill to choose.  Freewill to choose is not works.

If I offer you chocolate candy, you can accept or decline.  Neither action is work.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  6,160
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

There has only ever been one way of salvation - by grace, through faith in the Messiah.  In the OT, that was faith in the Messiah to come; in the NT, it is faith in the Messiah who has come.

Now aren't you going to claim faith is works?  Certainly you claim a choice is works.