The Bible and questions about it

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I’ve been reading the Bible for like 5-10 years.  There are moments in the day where I think all that reading has payed off, but there are also times in the day where it was all in vain.  I don’t want to like “fake it” and like fake believe the Bible is working for me when it isn’t.  I don’t get why it wouldn’t be working on me though.  I keep trying to think that since the word is “alive and active” and his word “won’t return void” that it is so powerful, that even if I do the bare minimum (just reading it, like not studying it or meditating on it, just reading it) it would HAVE to work.  But then again a lot of preachers say that some people have rejected the word and therefore the only thing hearing the Word CAN do, is fully harden their  hearts so it’s better off to just avoid the word all together, because hearing it over and over again will increase their responsibility (they who knew Gods will, but did it not, will be beaten with MANY stripes)and to whom much is given, much more will be required.   I just worry that might be me.  Maybe im deceived and given over to a reprobate mind, and don’t even know it.  Maybe I’m better off staying away from the Bible, because if I did have a hardened heart, it would be dangerous to keep on reading it, and just let it keep increasing what I will be responsible for on judgment day.  So yeah I’m really double minded on this.  What should I do?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,869
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

Maybe the time when it seems vain is not the time you will get it per say, this has happened to me something I’ve read didn’t have meaning until sometime later, so like the Bible says have patience. :)

Edited by BeyondET

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

It's not a dangerous thing to read the Bible.  

Read it in smaller chunks.  Much smaller.  Meditate on what you read - that means, in Biblical terms, reciting it to yourself in your mind and letting God show you what it means.  

49 minutes ago, Tyler22 said:

But then again a lot of preachers say that some people have rejected the word and therefore the only thing hearing the Word CAN do, is fully harden their  hearts so it’s better off to just avoid the word all together, because hearing it over and over again will increase their responsibility (they who knew Gods will, but did it not, will be beaten with MANY stripes)and to whom much is given, much more will be required.  

Any preachers who say that, they are unwilling to follow looking for lost sheep, who knows the mind of a reprobate, picking to choice is not a good idea.

Edited by BeyondET

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,874
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Keep reading, but don't just read. You must honestly study it. There was a time when I would just read, sometimes even a full chapter a day. I would just read it, then close the book, thinking I had done my homework, so to speak. The bare minimum.

Really study it for meaning, though. I would start by finding a good Bible commentary to use. Here are some for free https://www.blueletterbible.org/study.cfm

Also perhaps try John Piper's Look at the Book series on his Youtube channel Desiring God.

And don't forget that the Bible itself teaches us how important studying it is. It is a not a helpful suggestion, but a command.

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." -- Joshua 1:8

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word." -- Psalm 119:9-16

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." -- Psalm 119:105

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." -- 2 Timothy 3:14-17

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,874
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

1 minute ago, Josheb said:

To whom are you posting?

The topic starter, but of course it's good for everyone to hear as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BK1110 said:

The topic starter, but of course it's good for everyone to hear as well.

A encouraging verses fits well heres one.

2 Cor. 12

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

1 Peter 4

12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.

1 Peter 1

6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,

7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor

Edited by BeyondET

Edited by BeyondET

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Tyler,

Those "preachers" are not talking about someone who is seeking God. They are talking about people who have made a cognitive decision to reject God's truth, and are therefore offended at His Word and it's implications. Every time they encounter God's Word they become increasingly defensive and offended. Because they have actively chosen to be offended at God, their own offence pushes them further away from God whenever they encounter His Word.

You can be certain that any instinct that entices you away from God's Word is not from God. It's a snare of the enemy.

Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path

Psalm 119:130 - The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple

If you have concerns about you being deceived, then take them to God, and trust that He both hears and answers prayer - and that He is faithful, and will guide you out of confusion.

1 Peter 5:7 - casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

• Thumbs Up 2