IGNORED

Was the flood a worldwide flood or a flood of the known world?

Amigo42

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,029
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, PeterR said:

2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Col 2:8  Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

:)

Nothing I disagree with there. :) I was actually discussing this very scripture earlier on another site. Here is my post on it: https://freerepublic.com/focus/religion/3962881/posts?page=51#51

Here is the actual content of my post there:

“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

That is an English translation of Koine Greek. It was penned before the New Testament existed. It was a letter to timothy and I agree with what it says. And at the time that was written the old testament that was commonly used by the writers of the time was the Septuagint, which contains many books we don’t have in our modern Old Testament.

They also quoted 1 Enoch a LOT: 

http://alaskandreams.net/ekklesia/Book%20of%20Enoch%20NT%20Verses.htm

Is 1 Enoch scripture? What does the word “scripture” actually mean? And what does the phrase “God Breathed” actually mean?

I interpret the above scripture to be telling timothy, “God inspired the writers of the ancient books. Read them. Understand what they are saying. It will help teach you truth, enable you to clearly expose lies, correct your misconceptions, and it will teach you what is righteous, enabling you, as a child of God to be fully prepared to do, in every situation, what is the best course of action at that time.”

It’s not talking about what we, today, call our English language bibles specifically, though I think they fall into the whole concept.

However, I don’t worry about what Paul said about hair length in the same way a lot of people do. And I don’t think I should: https://brendansaltvick.wordpress.com/2017/07/28/why-1-corinthians-11-is-talking-about-covering-your-genitals-not-your-head/

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  537
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Good topic @Amigo42.

I'm one of those "goofy" people who think logically.

You know that water rises evenly, so in order for Noah's Ark to come to rest on Mt. Ararat, as it says in Genesis 8:4;

4) "Then in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark rested upon the mountains of Ararat,"

so then, the whole world would be "BURIED" in 16,945 feet of water, the height of Mt. Ararat

Probably more, as the bible says "the ark came to rest," so they had to be above it.

So the whole world was covered in 16,945 feet deep in water. That's a lot of water :43:.

That's 3 miles deep :happyhappy:. I don't swim that good.

Just being logical my way :).

Arrabon

Edited by Arrabon

2 minutes ago, Arrabon said:

Good topic @Amigo42.

I'm one of those "goofy" people who think logically.

You know that water rises evenly, so in order for Noah's Ark to come to rest on Mt. Ararat, as it says in Genesis 8:4;

4) "Then in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark rested upon the mountains of Ararat,"

so then, the whole world would be "BURIED" in 16,945 feet of water, the height of Mt. Ararat

Probably more, as the bible says "the ark came to rest," so they had to be above it.

So the whole world was covered in 16,945 feet deep in water. That's a lot of water:43:.

Just being logical my way :).

Arrabon

I tend to agree with that. 

I'll point out one caveat: Land altitude is not stable. That is why in some areas sea levels are rising, in others they are falling and in others they are not changing. What is actually happening is that the land is rising, or falling, in those areas. 

But yeah, I generally agree with you that that is probably what happened. I'll ask when I get to the pearly gates. :D

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  6,159
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  8

12 minutes ago, Arrabon said:

So the whole world was covered in 16,945 feet deep in water. That's a lot of water:43:.

You presume that the world was then, as it is today.   I have posted in other threads that the Earth was reshaped by God, after the flood, making mountains and valleys.  The majority of the waters came from below the crust, plus it rained and that water is still here, today. 

The scripture below mentions this, and know that this scripture could not be a retelling of the Genesis Creation because it would be in conflict with the flood that came later.  Later God made a covenant with all living things not to flood the world, again (think rainbow), like the flood of Noah.

Psalm 104: 6-9 (NLT)

You clothed the earth with floods of water,
    water that covered even the mountains.
At your command, the water fled;
    at the sound of your thunder, it hurried away.
Mountains rose and valleys sank
    to the levels you decreed.
Then you set a firm boundary for the seas,
    so they would never again cover the earth.

• Well Said! 1

10 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I'll point out one caveat: Land altitude is not stable. That is why in some areas sea levels are rising, in others they are falling and in others they are not changing. What is actually happening is that the land is rising, or falling, in those areas. 

@Still Alive

Yeah. In Genesis 8:4, God doesn't call Mt. Ararat a hill, which is generally thought of as topping out by "EXPERTS"??, whatever they are, at 2000 feet, before it is considered a mountain.

Still pretty deep.

Edited by Arrabon

12 minutes ago, Sparks said:

You presume that the world was then, as it is today.   I have posted in other threads that the Earth was reshaped by God, after the flood, making mountains and valleys.  The majority of the waters came from below the crust, plus it rained and that water is still here, today. 

The scripture below mentions this, and know that this scripture could not be a retelling of the Genesis Creation because it would be in conflict with the flood that came later.  Later God made a covenant with all living things not to flood the world, again (think rainbow), like the flood of Noah.

Psalm 104: 6-9 (NLT)

You clothed the earth with floods of water,
    water that covered even the mountains.
At your command, the water fled;
    at the sound of your thunder, it hurried away.
Mountains rose and valleys sank
    to the levels you decreed.
Then you set a firm boundary for the seas,
    so they would never again cover the earth.

I actually own a book called "The Biblical flood and the ice epoch". It takes the perspective that it was worldwide and caused by a rogue planet coming close to the earth and its ice moon reaching the roche limit and coming down from space on the poles, giving us our ice caps. It also opines that the mountain ranges were pulled up with each orbit of this other planet with the earth until it finally left. It's a 1960's book and the author has changed his opinion on what planet it was (at the time I believe he thought it was venus). 

But his point was that the earth is like a brown paper bag of molases floating through space and the magma tides would have been enormous, causing the mountain ranges to be formed in the "brown paper bag crust".

I've been searching for that book for decades and, while cleaning out my dad's shop last month, I found it in a stack of books. I've actually talked with the author (about 25 years ago). 

Edited by Still Alive
  • Haha 1

@Sparks

YUP.

But God still called Mt. Ararat, mountains in Genesis 8:4;

4) "Then in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark rested upon the mountains of Ararat," "MOUNTAINS" !!!

8 minutes ago, Arrabon said:

@Still Alive

Yeah. In Genesis 8:4, God doesn't call Mt. Ararat a hill, which is generally thought of as topping out by "EXPERTS"??, whatever they are, at 2000 feet, before it is considered a mountain.

Still pretty deep.

Also, if it was written after the fact, it could have been "mountains" by the time the book was written. 

But the key point is that we don't know. We only know what a book written for men of that day said to men of that day. 

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

But the key point is that we don't know. We only know what a book written for men of that day said to men of that day. 

@Still Alive

WELLLLLLLLLL.. this is where we take a "fork in the road" my friend.

For me, the KEY POINT is that "GOD wrote the bible through men", and the bible was written for ALL MANKIND, not just for men of their day.

Was Jesus just for men of their day??????????????

Either the bible in it's themes are ALL timeless, or we are all fools for believing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  6,159
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, Arrabon said:

@Sparks

YUP.

But God still called Mt. Ararat, mountains in Genesis 8:4;

4) "Then in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark rested upon the mountains of Ararat," "MOUNTAINS" !!!

I didn't say there were no mountains before the flood but that God reshaped the Earth, which was under water, at the time.   If the water from the flood is still here today, then we would still be under water, until God reshaped the world.

Also, know that the highest mountains of today would have caused a problem for a world-wide flood because of heat (called the latent heat of condensation).   The rain didn't cover Mt. Everest, at the time, because Mt. Everest was made after the flood, and had the water covered the world including Mt. Everest, there would have been a super heat issue.

• Thumbs Up 1