• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12

9 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I agree.

“Jesus continued to say to all of them, “Any of you who want to be my follower must stop thinking about yourself and what you want. You must be willing to carry the cross that is given to you every day for following me. Any of you who try to save the life you have will lose it. But you who give up your life for me will save it. It is worth nothing for you to have the whole world if you yourself are destroyed or lost.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭9:23-25‬ ‭

When we repent sin sometimes it causes us to loose parts of our lives such as relationships. A prostitute who wants to repent would have to give up his/her job. A repentant drug addict would loose friends.

Yes: repentance always has a cost and a reward.  We lose what would destroy us (however much we might have wanted it) and gain a blessing.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

“Some couples who have committed adultery by marrying when they should not have done so have wondered if they should divorce so that they can undo the adultery. The answer is no, because that would result in another sin. Committing another sin does not undo a previous sin. If the couple has honestly, sincerely from the depth of their hearts confessed the sin of adultery, it has been forgiven.  God has forgotten it (Psalm 103:12; Isaiah 38:17; Jeremiah 31:34; Micah 7:19). We must never forget that God hates divorce (Malachi 2:14).

Other couples wonder if they should divorce their current spouse and return to their ex-spouse. The answer is “no” again because divorce is a sin, unless the current spouse has engaged in sexual activity with someone else. Also, the remarriage of the ex-spouse is not possible due to Deuteronomy 24:1-4.

A person confesses their sin to God when they name the sin and admit that they sinned. For additional detail, please read the article “How can the sin of adultery be forgiven? – Is the sin forever?”  For an understanding as to how long adultery lasts read, “What is the Greek tense of the verb ‘commits adultery’ in Matthew 19:9?”

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/if-you-are-divorced-and-remarry-are-you-living-in-adultery/

Edited by Hopefully

I think it’s different when you find out marrying a divorced person is considered adultery before verses after you have done it. 

I also think repentance in the case is confessing the sin and not doing it again in this new marriage. Some people may not find out what they have done for years after being remarried and may have even started a new family and I don’t think the solution would be to divorce yet again to fix it.

I think the real problem is knowing marrying a divorced person who has divorced for reasons other than sexual sin is wrong before you do it.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

See, here is the problem, and why many see this as a damnable sin, and I won't look up exact scripture because  most if you know what I'm saying is biblical, and due to oncoming storm...I got very slow internet.

With the mentioned adulteress woman, Jesus stopped the stoning to make the point we all sin, but he also told her, go and sin no more, or basically, this is not something you want to keep doing. What would happen if she lived in or practiced this sin regularly? There is scripture that says adulterers will not see the kingdom of heaven. That worries some of us, and I'm not sure we are doing anyone justice in telling them not to worry about the situation the OP brings forth.

Then there is scripture where Christ says in very simple, easy to understand terms, if we remarry after divorce with one exception, we will be practicing or living in adultery.

That said, it is hard to blame those who feel the way they do about this. To me it seems very cruel, and I wish it were not so, but still, scripture seems to support that doing this will result in a very bad outcome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Hopefully said:

The answer is no, because that would result in another sin. Committing another sin does not undo a previous sin. If the couple has honestly, sincerely from the depth of their hearts confessed the sin of adultery, it has been forgiven. 

How could it result in another sin when God never recognized the second marriage to begin with?

And sure, God will forgive adultery, but there is scripture that states clearly, practicing adulterers won't get to heaven.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

New King James Version

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor [a]homosexuals, nor [b]sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were [c]sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kenny'sID said:

And sure, God will forgive adultery, but there is scripture that states clearly, practicing adulterers won't get to heaven.

My conscious tells me if one has married a divorcee and they “later” find out God does not allow it, but confess their sin snd ask for forgiveness he will forgive them. To repent adultery  they would then want to stay married and not divorce or be unfaithful.

I don’t believe if a person marries a divorcee and reads scripture about it 10 years and 3 kids later that God would want them to divorce but to realize their mistake, confess, and repent.

When we confess sin to Jesus and repent he forgives us and we are no longer considered guilty. 

The problem is people doing things they know are wrong even before they do them. 

In other words I believe God will forgive adultery-by remarriage of two people who are faithful to each other, and did not even realize what they were doing. 

married people who are cheating on their spouse are not looking for forgiveness but practicing adultery. 

44 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

My conscious tells me if one has married a divorcee and they “later” find out God does not allow it, but confess their sin snd ask for forgiveness he will forgive them. To repent adultery  they would then want to stay married and not divorce or be unfaithful.

I don’t believe if a person marries a divorcee and reads scripture about it 10 years and 3 kids later that God would want them to divorce but to realize their mistake, confess, and repent.

When we confess sin to Jesus and repent he forgives us and we are no longer considered guilty. 

The problem is people doing things they know are wrong even before they do them. 

In other words I believe God will forgive adultery-by remarriage of two people who are faithful to each other, and did not even realize what they were doing. 

married people who are cheating on their spouse are not looking for forgiveness but practicing adultery. 

What I quoted of your post did not mention anything about finding out about it later, but only if they did it.

Then let's hope your conscious is correct, as there may be others depending on what you say.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12

On 7/3/2021 at 2:08 PM, Hopefully said:

“Some couples who have committed adultery by marrying when they should not have done so have wondered if they should divorce so that they can undo the adultery. The answer is no, because that would result in another sin. Committing another sin does not undo a previous sin. If the couple has honestly, sincerely from the depth of their hearts confessed the sin of adultery, it has been forgiven.  God has forgotten it (Psalm 103:12; Isaiah 38:17; Jeremiah 31:34; Micah 7:19). We must never forget that God hates divorce (Malachi 2:14).

Other couples wonder if they should divorce their current spouse and return to their ex-spouse. The answer is “no” again because divorce is a sin, unless the current spouse has engaged in sexual activity with someone else. Also, the remarriage of the ex-spouse is not possible due to Deuteronomy 24:1-4.

A person confesses their sin to God when they name the sin and admit that they sinned. For additional detail, please read the article “How can the sin of adultery be forgiven? – Is the sin forever?”  For an understanding as to how long adultery lasts read, “What is the Greek tense of the verb ‘commits adultery’ in Matthew 19:9?”

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/if-you-are-divorced-and-remarry-are-you-living-in-adultery/

This all sounds reasonable; but, there is a problem.  The problem is that it is only physical death that can end a marriage.  This means that someone who remarries, while his original wife still lives, is committing adultery, because he is still married to his original wife, in God's sight.

In such a situation, ending the second "marriage" is not really divorce at all (even if the world thinks it is); rather, it is simply ending an adulterous relationship.

Edited by David1701
typo
  • Thumbs Up 4

41 minutes ago, Kenny'sID said:

others depending on what you say.

If anyone is counting on strangers online and not God they will have problems.

Some specifics we don’t have teachings on and must use our conscious. We don’t have teachings on what to do if we remarry without knowing it’s considered adultery. For the record I’m not remarried lest anyone think I’m making excuses for myself.

The advice I have for the others is from me. The Lord did not give us any teaching about this. If you have a wife who is not a believer, you should not divorce her if she will continue to live with you. And if you have a husband who is not a believer, you should not divorce him if he will continue to live with you. But if the husband or wife who is not a believer decides to leave, let them leave. When this happens, the brother or sister in Christ is free. God chose you to have a life of peace.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:12-13, 15‬ ‭ERV‬‬

This is an example of a decision made from a holy spirt led conscious and it’s one where a person will not be counted guilty for remarriage although the first one did not end due to sexual sin or death of the first spouse. 

Again I believe there is mercy for those who did not realize what they were doing and who will confess their sin to Jesus and repent by not divorcing again or being unfaithful. 

This is what my spirit believes is true but again if a person is making soul placing decisions by listening to strangers online verses seeking God they will have problems.

Edited by Hopefully
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Again I believe there is mercy for those who did not realize what they were doing and who will confess their sin to Jesus and repent by not divorcing again or being unfaithful. 

Again, I disagreed with something else, not that, and have no reason to disagree with it. Its an extenuating circumstance that is solved by simple common sense.

We don't hold people accountable for something they truly did not know about, regardless of what it is.

Edited by Kenny'sID
  • Thumbs Up 1