• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/3/2021 at 9:16 PM, Dennis1209 said:

We all know this one: Hebrews 10:25 (KJV) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Do we see the day approaching? You bet ya! Is it conspiracy theory churches are a target for closure and restriction in the name of health and safety? 

Ephesians 4:12 (KJV) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Be sort of hard to edify or be edified all alone? Not to mention tithes and offerings to support missions, keep the doors open to preach and spread the Gospel to the community and a lost world. 

Yes agree totally. One needs to understand what the assembling together means. Remember this is in the book of Hebrews a letter written to Hebrews so the context is Hebrew. The gathering together is a specific phrase that needs to understood in the perspective of the original language Hebrew. Lev 23 is a big clue as to when they gathered together.

Shalom friend

Ancient

On 8/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, Henry_iain said:

A building is not a church and a house is not a home. Church isn't something you go to. It's something that you are part of no matter where you might physically be. But I do understand.  You need regular contact with the fellowship of the Saints. But personally I no longer believe this necessarily means sitting in a church service. Or following some sort of preplanned program.

I agree. It is following His plan. Church is not a NT idea. It goes all the way back to Mt Sinai. 

Shalom Friend

Ancient

On 8/3/2021 at 10:56 PM, Dennis1209 said:

Matthew 18:20 (KJV) For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.  

The early church was underground in homes, due to Roman persecution. I'd say where two or more people gather, be it outdoors or in a building, that is a church.

The context of this verse is not about gathering together, it is a legal term and is to do with making decisions within a fellowship. The whole passage is context.

Shalom Friend

Ancient

On 8/4/2021 at 2:00 AM, The_Patriot21 said:

But yet it was Jesus who founded the church and commanded us not to forsake it. ;)

The church has been around since Mt Sinai my friend. Just because the OT doesn't say the word church does not mean the church wasn't in the OT. It is in the language. The Greek has ekklesia "church" even looking at this Greek word in the Septuagint which is the Greek translation of the OT it is found in many places. The Hebrew equivalent is qahal or edah "congregation or assembly. Always in the context of the people of God assembling before Yahweh. Language reveal many many truths.

Shalom friend

Ancient

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, Ancient said:

Yes agree totally. One needs to understand what the assembling together means. Remember this is in the book of Hebrews a letter written to Hebrews so the context is Hebrew. The gathering together is a specific phrase that needs to understood in the perspective of the original language Hebrew. Lev 23 is a big clue as to when they gathered together.

Shalom friend

Ancient

You touched on an important point about the book of Hebrews in general, and Hebrews Chapter Six in particular. No doubt it is written by a Hebrew to the Hebrews. However, it's content, doctrine and truth also apples to Gentiles and Christians. Few other books of the Bible have generated so much controversy and commentary over OSAS. 

Being what it is, I suspect a large portion of Hebrews is dealing with apostacy, and that of Judaism vs. true Christianity, and reverting back to Judaism and works. After tasting the spiritual gifts and all that comes with it.  

After writing out the who, what, when, where and why's of the book of Hebrew's; I formed my context; and got a better understanding of what the author was conveying. Then, comparing what Hebrews says, and comparing the subject to the rest of scripture for a better context. Left me still on the fence on certain critical doctrines and issues.

I'm not turning this into another OSAS debate or discussion, but some things just obviously pop out in Hebrews and elsewhere. The frequent use of the conjunction; conditional two letter word, "IF." Something promised, "if" specified conditions are met. Many times a modifier and another condition is added; "until the end." A contract by both parties is not met and fulfilled, unless all supplemental conditions are fully met. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Ancient said:

The context of this verse is not about gathering together, it is a legal term and is to do with making decisions within a fellowship. The whole passage is context.

Shalom Friend

Ancient

Thanks, I'll immediately correct my hermeneutics and theology. 

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

11 hours ago, Ancient said:

The church has been around since Mt Sinai my friend. Just because the OT doesn't say the word church does not mean the church wasn't in the OT. It is in the language. The Greek has ekklesia "church" even looking at this Greek word in the Septuagint which is the Greek translation of the OT it is found in many places. The Hebrew equivalent is qahal or edah "congregation or assembly. Always in the context of the people of God assembling before Yahweh. Language reveal many many truths.

Shalom friend

Ancient

Lol and who wrote the OT? And told the hebrews to congregate? I said Jesus founded the church...I did not say when. ;)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I get it, but I bet Tony Evans has always been well received in any church he visits.   

9 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Lol and who wrote the OT? And told the hebrews to congregate? I said Jesus founded the church...I did not say when. ;)

And when did He tell the Hebrews and those that joined with them to congregate? Hebrew 13:8, Malachi 3:6 

20 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Thanks, I'll immediately correct my hermeneutics and theology. 

Shalom friend