• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  579
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Justin Adams said:

You cannot take a few words of Dr Heiser and attempt to formulate a concept of pantheistic notions. It does not work; is not coherent and is poor scholarship.

I wasn't.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:57 AM, Melinda12 said:

The thing that provokes me a lot is when ignorant non-believers dismiss the Bible as 'fairy stories'. I actually had a close friend years ago who said that. She was a very intelligent woman, a devoted friend but an atheist. The friendship did not last. One reason being the disrespect towards my faith that she felt so free to express. 

I am listening at present to an excellent programme on BBC Sounds, all about to the way the King James Bible was written. The very best scholars of the time worked for 7 years on the translation. It is a treasure of outstanding literary value and a delight to countless Christians.

Commissioned by a King who was also an excellent learned theologian. He cared about the Word of God being presented to all. Part of his campaign to unite Christians. 

Is it your favourite Bible? It is mine. For sheer beauty of language as well as quality of translation. 

Only a fool would dismiss our book of the Word of God. We should stand up for it strong and proud. 

The KJV was the first translation I read through with the help of three  commentaries.  The NASB was my go-to source, but now I've switched over to the ESV.  The NIV is a pure pleasure to read.  The HCSB is good also.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Kelly2363 said:

I wasn't.

Ok. My apologies for misunderstanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

18 hours ago, Waggles said:

The KJV contains many many errors - such as:

1John 5:6  This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 
5:7  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 
5:8  And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.  [KJV]

Other translations have corrected this interpolation with the following:

1John 5:6  This is he that came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood. 
5:7  And it is the Spirit that witnesseth, because the Spirit is the truth. 
5:8  Because the witnessing ones are three: the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and the three agree in one.  [NENT]

1John 5:6 This is he who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only but with the water and the blood. 7 And the Spirit is the witness, because the Spirit is the truth. 8 There are three witnesses, the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree. 

Perhaps you don't know about the large body of evidence for the genuineness of 1 John 5:7.  It's true that there are only a few extant Greek manuscripts that contain it; but there are thousands of Latin manuscripts that contain it, as well as quotes from ECFs.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

21 hours ago, Waggles said:

If the KJV is, as claimed by some, so God approved and inerrant and the best - then how come so many of its verses are simply poor translations and often wrong wording? 

John 3:7  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 
3:8  The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.  [KJV]

The Roman Catholic Douay-Rheims translation does a much better job at the correct wording:

John 3:7  Wonder not that I said to thee: You must be born again. 
3:8  The Spirit breatheth where he will and thou hearest his voice: but thou knowest not whence he cometh and whither he goeth. So is every one that is born of the Spirit. 

The superior and most correct translation is by Ivan Panin's [NENT]

John 3:7  Marvel not that I said to thee, Ye must be born from above. 
3:8  The Spirit breatheth where he willeth, and thou hearest his *voice, but knowest not whence he cometh, and whither he goeth: so is every one *born of the Spirit. 

Perhaps you are unaware that the Greek word translated "wind", in the KJV, means "wind" or "spirit" - either translation is correct.

The same goes for "born again": the Greek can be translated as "born again", or "born from above" - either is correct.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

anothen {an'-o-then}  1) from above, from a higher place 1a) of things which come from heaven or God 2) from the first, from the beginning, from the very first 3) anew, over again

P.S.  The Authorised Version (a.k.a. KJV) is not perfect, but it is far better than most modern translations.  There may be individual verses in which this or that translation improves upon the AV, but, overall, the AV is one of the best.

Edited by David1701
  • Thumbs Up 2