Guest Shilo

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The first mention of an altar is in Genesis chapter 8. Many times when Godly men in the Old testament had an encounter with the Lord they would build an altar of stone to remember it.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

I think revivalists like Charles Finney in the 1800's also brought back a 'seeker's bench'/altar. The Pentecostal revivals may have contributed to the modern altar call. I see it as a point of contact, but won't necessarily alter you at the altar. We need faith and obedience and repentance.

Guest Shilo

I have heard that some people do not agree that the alter should be used in a church? Has any one else heard of this?

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I'm not sure why they wouldn't want an altar-we have one in our church-lots of prayers go on there. For me, I don't usually go down there unless the Pastor calls the whole church down. I feel too-exposed-I guess. I pray in my seat. To each his own though-our church (Assembly of God) uses it a lot.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I have heard that some people do not agree that the alter should be used in a church? Has any one else heard of this?

It's just a fixture in a building. I don't think it's needed, but if it make you comfortable, freek freely.

Jacob built an altar after seeing the vision of angels ascending and descending upon a ladder (Gen. 28:11-12). He called that place "Bethel," which means "house of God." In the New Testament Jesus was born in "Bethlehem" meaning, "house of bread." This indicates that Christ is our real bread of life (John 6:35, 48). At the beginning of His earthly ministry Christ said, "...You shall see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man." Jesus is the reality of Jacob's vision in the Old Testament. Jesus is the ladder which joins the earth with the heavens and brings heaven to earth. Therefore, Jesus is our Bethel and our Bethlehem. He is the real altar, the house of God (Col. 2:9) and the bread of life (John 6:35, 48).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Hey God-man, I think it looks like we are making ourself idols if we build altars, don't you think?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Do we worship the altar as an object, or do we worship the One who meets us at the altar? The Tabernacle was not an idol, but had many objects. Dagon was an idol.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Hey God-man, I think it looks like we are making ourself idols if we build altars, don't you think?

I never really thought of it. If a person believes that he must answer an altar call by going up to the front of the santuary and kneeling before an altar to pray, then I would say that the issue may be more of one who trusts more in ritual practice than in the living God. Having an altar may not be idolatry as much as it is religious. I don't think public displays of faith are really what the Lord cares for. This is more or less an issue of religion, in my opinion.