• Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/17/1968

Netanyahu: Jerusalem is under siege

Gil Hoffman, THE JERUSALEM POST Aug. 31, 2005

Former prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu accused Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of caving into American pressure on Wednesday for not building in the E-1 area between Jerusalem and Ma'aleh Adumim.

Netanyahu made E-1 his first stop on the campaign trail on Wednesday morning, touring the area with former minister Natan Sharansky, Ma'aleh Adumim mayor Benny Kashriel, Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin, and Likud MKs Michael Ratzon, Ehud Yatom, Michael Gorlovsky, and Ayoub Kara.

Standing on a barren desert hilltop north of Jerusalem, Netanyahu told reporters that if he is elected prime minister, he will build 15,000 housing units in the area, in an effort to connect Jerusalem and Ma'aleh Adumim and prevent illegal Palestinian construction from cutting off Ma'aleh Adumim from the capital.

"We have to break the siege on Jerusalem," Netanyahu said. "There is a battle for Jerusalem. Sharon has frozen the building here and prevented the creation of a greater Jerusalem. Instead, he is enabling the creation of a greater Palestine."

Netanyahu used the occasion to remind the Likud's 150,000 members that despite American pressure, he approved building in E-1 and prevented the Palestinians from separating Jerusalem from Bethlehem by settling the Har Homa neighborhood at the southern end of Jerusalem.

Responding to Sharon's charges that he "caves in under pressure," Netanyahu turned the tables on Sharon by accusing him of succumbing to American pressure. He said that he would not allow Washington to dictate whether Israel will build in the Jerusalem area.

"So [the Americans] object, so what? It's Jerusalem!" Netanyahu said. "I withstood American pressure, but Sharon surrendered in a shameful way. There can be no limitation on building in our eternal capital."

Netanyahu's bureau chief Yehiel Leiter said that as prime minister, Netanyahu would explain to American officials that it is necessary to build in E-1 to defend Jerusalem. Noting that Har Homa is never mentioned in Washington anymore, the adviser said that the Americans might object at first, but they will eventually understand.

Sharon told The Jerusalem Post recently that he intends to build in E-1, but he didn't set a timetable. Netanyahu said that when Sharon withdrew from the Gaza Strip, he should have built in E-1 at the same time to send a message to the Palestinians.

"The prime minister is encouraging the Palestinians by starting a precedent of withdrawing to 1967 lines, giving into international demands against building, and by allowing Palestinians to build illegally, unchecked," he said.

"After three years as prime minister and another three as a minitser, suddenly Bibi has discovered E1," Sharon's spokesman said. "Bibi can continue to talk and Sharon will continue to do," he added.

Sharansky said that as housing and construction minister, he informed the American ambassador when he decided to build on the West Bank and the ambassador would respond that America opposes such construction without making a scandal out of it. He said that America does not want to be in the role of settlement policeman.

"The Americans never let us build a house in Judea and Samaria

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Personally, I've always liked Netanyahu. He takes Israel's welfare seriously.

• Group:  Junior Member

I like him too. It seems like he won't let other's influence from what he feel is the right direction for Israel. I think that Sharon has been letting the US influence him too much and is afraid of losing US support.

Guest shiloh357
Looks like if  Netanyahu is elected the US will have less influence over Israel.  Is that good ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is good. Considering how the US is currently exerting its influence, it would be good for the US to have less say so in what Jews do with their own city.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I was at a Christian convention that celebrated Israel's 50th Anniversary a few years ago. We were told that Netenyahu was planning on coming over to speak, but had to cancel due to political pressure back home.

I can't blame him for having to back out - none of us did. We were all just greatly impressed that he was so welcoming to us Christians who were offering our support for Israel.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/31/1968

Hmmm... Likeable guy world wide....Has Israel's best interest in mind...Advocate for peace in the Middle East...Easy on the eyes...hmmm...Now, where have I read that before?

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Junior Member

Hmmm... Likeable guy world wide....Has Israel's best interest in mind...Advocate for peace in the Middle East...Easy on the eyes...hmmm...Now, where have I read that before?

:noidea:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o Maybe not the antichrist because he jewish, but could be the false prophet.

I had the same thought too :thumbsup: Either way, I still worship the one any only Elohim!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/31/1968

:noidea:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:emot-crying: Maybe not the antichrist because he jewish, but could be the false prophet.

I had the same thought too :( Either way, I still worship the one any only Elohim!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Praise God!! :o

But isn't the AC coming from the line of David? So he will be of Jewish decent, no? In any case...Praise The LordPraiseTheLordPraiseTheLordPraiseTheLord.... :emot-pray:

He's not the anti-christ or the false prophet but he is the boldest leader in Israel and will win the next election hands down.

He might be the reason why America finally makes a break with Israel because he ain't gonna play ball with the next administration. He will also have no problem sending the IDF back into Gaza if they act up even a little...

Guest shiloh357

:(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankly, you don't Netanyahu very well. He is was one of the most despised PMs from the international point of view. Most of the world hated Netanyahu, because he does actually act like he cares about his own country. The AC won't have Israel's best interest in mind. Netanyahu is not an advocate for peace in the Middle East in the way that the world defines how peace should be achieved in that region. He is an advocate for the security of Israel and the sovereignty of Israel over Jerusalem. So, any attempt to cast him as a possible AC candidate is silly.