Guest Hannah Marie

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

This is such an uplifting thread for the most part. It is unfortunate that for a time it dissolved into a debate about Mormonism. I hope Hannah was helped. I know I was! Hearing about all the ways people have experienced God moving in thier lives... It's wonderful. It has highlighted for me, the ways that god has moved in my own life. Thank you thank you thank you! And God bless all of your for your testimonies. (I know it's been a while but it's been so helpful...) I'm off to read the testimony thread now! :noidea:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 4giveN Much
I have been trying to start a personal relationship with God for over a year now and have not gotten anywhere. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Help please~

Hannah Marie

I see this original post was a while ago but in the event you are still questing for a closer walk with Him -

You are in my prayers. God promises to all who seek Him with all their heart will find Him.

The awesomeness of God is that He keeps ALL His promises! You can count on it and rest in His assurances.

:blink:

Guest Alexandre
I know when I was baptised, I wondered if I did something wrong, all I felt was wet heh. There is no giant change you feel in yourself, but you can check yourself for it easily.

After believing for a few months, I realized how much my thoughts and actions had changed. How I was changing my life out of the love of and for the lord. Each change was subtle, but the total was huge now looking back at it.

It's quite common for your sense of closeness to God to come in ebbs and flows. I think God does this on purpose. He makes us to feel close to bolster us. Then he makes us feel distant to test and strengthen us. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, the worst thing for a demon to see is a christian who feels left by God but keeps on believing in spite of himself. That faith is the strongest wall that no devil can hope to break.

Our faith is our most valuable thing. It connects us with the lord and leads our lives. It is tested to strengthen it.

Hanna, just talk to Him :thumbsup:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have been trying to start a personal relationship with God for over a year now and have not gotten anywhere. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Help please~

Hannah Marie

swordfish

hello hannah marie i see you are having a struggle here and from your words you say "you have been trying to start a personal relationship with God for over a year now and are not getting anywhere" maybe that is where the problem is really at you are "still trying to start it" and have not really begun a relationship with God yet. i do not know you personally so i can only go on what you have thus shared. have you ever accepted jesus christ as your lord and saviour and confessed your sins to him at this point in your life. if not then you should do so because unconfessed sin will keep you apart from the relationship in which you seek. if you have already done this then their have to be other problems that are hindering in this relationship you seek with God.

a person should feel God's prescence in their life they should have a sense of knowing all is well between them and God. so if you are not feeling God then you should search your heart a little deeper and see if their are other things or issues that may be hindering this relationship with the heavenly father. you may need to forgive others or such things like that etc., which can affect your relationship and you can ask God in prayer to show to you and reveal those things if their is anything in this arena. But you should sense his prescence in your walk with him. keep searching or seeking and knocking for you will find and he will open the door to you in this area. lol

swordfish

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I have been trying to start a

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

Maybe a big explosive feeling is what you are looking for.

I know a family whoose sons are "seeking" for God, and I think that they will not accept Christ, until they have a big "revelation!"

I just want to shake them, and say "you don't need a BIG Bang to accept Christ!!!"

But of course, I can't do that.... :)

But do you guys get the feeling?

unfortunately these things seem to stem from charismatic and pentacostal teachings. I know the honey moon feeling of first coming to the Lord..but it settles into a peaceful comfortable and calm feeling that is unshaken.

I have heard of some people getting knocked right off of their feet with the overcoming of the Holy Spirit. But I haven't heard of it much so would have to say it is a rare experience...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

unfortunately these things seem to stem from charismatic and pentacostal teachings. I know the honey moon feeling of first coming to the Lord..but it settles into a peaceful comfortable and calm feeling that is unshaken.

I have heard of some people getting knocked right off of their feet with the overcoming of the Holy Spirit. But I haven't heard of it much so would have to say it is a rare experience...

I hope this isn't against pentecostal teaching, because I am pentecostal, but at any rate.

Hannah, everyone here has given you great advice, the LDS debate aside. I would only add this. Begin your day with prayer, and end it with prayer. Set aside one time period during the day to pray for an extended time with the Lord. This time has to be set aside every day and made more important than anything else. During this prayer time, remember that prayer is not just you talking with the Lord, allow Him to speak to you as well. Listen. Begin your prayers with praise and worship to Him, even if you are experiencing trials or troubles in your life. It is always harder to praise Him when we having problems. End your prayers to Him with thanks for what he has done for you, is doing for you, will do for you, and simply for being our Almighty God. Talk to Him like you would a close friend. No detail of your life is too small to share with your Savior.

Absolutely! My relationship with God has grown by leaps and bounds since I started my morning off by worshiping and reading God's Word and journalling. I spend time with God praying, and waiting on Him. It needn't be long periods of time. Often people start off with only a few minutes, but as you get into it, the daily time spent with God lengthens and lengthens!

Most people I know get up early every morning. Personally, I start at 6am. I know others who start at 4 or 5am...but when you give God the first, He honours us and blesses our day! He is SO worth it!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

smiles to all

Edited by jackie d

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Hannah Marie, private worship time - focus not on ourselves but solely on the Lord - Sitting at His feet - not just praying but lots of thanksgiving.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  362
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/04/1955

Your statement is contradictory, How can someone not have a relationship with christ and have a relationship with god?

Are you a Oneness?

If you are a Trinitarian, then I find your statement ironic to say the least. Evangelicals accuse LDS of separating the members of the Godhead too much. And yet, Evangelicals also believe they can single out a member of the Godhead, and have a relationship with that person. But not with the Father and the Holy Ghost? How come? This is not Biblical. Christ is God, as is the Father and the Holy Ghost. We are to have a relationship with the fullness of God, by the Spirit, through Christ. That is not a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ."

Jesus Christ is God, but God is not Jesus alone. God is also the Heavenly Father and the Holy Spirit.

God's blessings to all,

LDStudent

:wub: