• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

We don't do anything for Halloween because of where we live. We live in an isolated apartment complex that doesn't have a lot of kids, so no one ever comes to the door. We buy candy, but that's just for us.  :thumbsup:

When I was a catholic we used to go out trick or treating all the time as kids. We used to get those orange UNICEF boxes to collect change for the church. But since I was saved, a lot of my thinking on a lot of things has changed, and Halloween, especially since I've come to learn more about it, isn't something I would "celebrate" as a Christian.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, tell us all what you are learning or have learned about Halloween. Has it changed?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The Celts believed that on October 31, summer officially ended, and that was when the souls of the dead were allowed to return to seek living bodies to possess. It was originally called Samhain (pronounced "sowen"), but later changed by the Catholic church to All Hallows Eve, later "slanged" into Halloween. So, those not wishing to be possessed adopted the practice of masking themselves or otherwise altering their appearance so as not to be recognized. The trick or treat part comes in from old European customs where early Christians would walk from village to village asking people for "soul cakes" with the promise of "praying" the donors' relatives out of limbo, kind of like an early indulgence practice. I've heard various reasons given for the pumpkins, one of which was to frighten away evil spirits. The practice of lighting a candle within them came from the Irish immigrants to the US, who originally used turnips but later found that pumpkins worked better. It's a pagan "holiday" any way you look at it, and as a Christian I realized I couldn't continue to "celebrate" it. So, we don't decorate or have Halloween parties. Still working on Easter and Christmas. My husband isn't saved, and he absolutely LOVES Christmas, so that particular one will be hard.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

We don't do anything for Halloween because of where we live. We live in an isolated apartment complex that doesn't have a lot of kids, so no one ever comes to the door. We buy candy, but that's just for us.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

First off It is a Pagan Holiday

So? What do origins have to do with anything? Who created all things? What makes one day more evil/holy than the next? Is God not Redeemer? Do you use a calendar?

no Christian should be apart of it at all!!!!

Scripture reference? It's legalistic to dictate what is and is not sin for others if it is not explicitly stated in Scripture. Unless you can find a Scripture that states we are not to participate, then it is a matter of personal conviction and you should leave the convicting up to the Holy Spirit. Now, if you have a personal conviction about it and choose not to participate, wonderful....that's between you and God. But if other believers have prayed and feel no such conviction, they should not receive condemnation for choosing to participate.

Word of God says Don't do as the Heathan do we should not be apart of any of there pagan ways or actions.

Scripture reference? Have you read Romans 14?

When we were in youth we would go out and give tracks to the homes. Any children walking by we would leave a track about Jesus and Lifting him up in there lives.

Also we could find cheap small Bibles to place in the bags. We gave no candy as to be in any way apart of the celebration of this character of this holiday.

I also do not celebrate Christmas as it is the birthday of Tamuza which is of a pagan religion. Christ was never born on Christmas day. All the symbols are pagan and ritualistic in christmas.

I chose to celebrate Thanksgiving with gifts unto those we are thankful for that year and this way we by pass all pagan rituals against God.

We do not celebrate Easter to for it is all Pagan and has nothing to do with Christ whatsoever.

May I ask if you refrain from these holidays because of a personal conviction about them or if it's because you were taught that they were evil due to their "pagan origins"? If it's a personal conviction why are you forcing it on others? If it's something you were taught, why are you following someone else's conviction and not your own? What Scriptural support did those who taught you this use to back up this teaching? Chick tracts?

Just because we want to do it and celebrate it and choose to do so does not mean God is well pleased with our pagan manner in which we choose to ignore him and his truth because we wnat to or we use the words Lighten up, Or theres no harm in it, were just having a little fun.

Fun against God against his turth, against all that he gave his life for. That to me is not fun that is Rebellion, Subborness and Disobedience against God and his Salvation and his Holy Spirit.

Until it is biblically proven that it is sin or "against his truth", it should not be labeled rebellion. In fact, it's extremely dangerous for you to judge another person's heart regarding matters like this (i.e calling those who participate as being rebellious). Assuming you know another person's heart attitude is like pretending to be the Holy Spirit. That's something I'd consider being rebellious and disobedient. Let the Holy Spirit do His own job.

Would Jesus do what you do, would he celebrate with you Christmas if he were here, would he follow your through your rituals at Easter would he have anything to do with Holloween.

No he would not so neither should we.

Oh yay, the ever popular WWJD argument. How can you definitively claim that Christ would not do something if you are not Christ? First of all, Scripture seems to indicate Christ placed human relationships and a person's spiritual condition above cultural/religious stigmas and "taboos". He broke barriers by placing Himself in situations and places where He would come in contact with the people who needed Him the most. He was seen interacting with "sinners" so frequently that He was mistakenly accused of being a sinner Himself. Although He never sinned, the very fact that He was accused of such is a good indicator that He was around things that religious people considered wrong. If I was going to take a guess on how Christ would handle the Holidays (judging by the record in Scripture of His behavior), I believe He would not be condemning people (John 3:17) and I believe He would be wherever the people would be. What better opportunity to love on people than when they are coming to your own front door? This doesn't mean preach to them, it means love on them. Show them the love of Christ inside of you. That is what Jesus would do. When He encountered the woman at the well: 1) He was breaking cultural/religious barriers by even being in that area 2) He was breaking cultural/religious barriers by approaching/interacting with a woman 3) He did not condemn her, He showed her lovingkindness. She came for water, He changed her life. When children come to our doors for candy, why can't we use this opportunity to express the love of Christ that can change their lives?

Lastly, for those who are adamantly opposed to Halloween let me ask you this:

1. Do you celebrate birthdays of family members and friends? If so, how is that different than participating in any other holiday?

2. Paul states in Romans 14 that we are free to eat meat, even meat that was once used in sacrifice to idols. If we are free to consume (absorb into our temple) something that was originated (or used) for evil, why can we not participate in a day/event that originated as something "pagan"? If, in our hearts, we are not observing anything evil...how can it be called sin? Isn't it the heart's intent that matters?

3. In Genesis 50:20, Joseph shows us how God took something that the enemy meant for evil and He redeemed it. God used it for good. Why can't this concept be applied to other areas of our lives? Even if something was originally intended for something evil or anti-God, why can't we take that very thing and use it for God's glory?

4. What is more important: A) showing the world that you don't participate in Halloween (i.e. that you are "separate") or B) showing the world love and grace. Because honestly, alot of times it cannot be both.

Sometimes in our pursuit to be "separate" we inadvertantly alienate the very people we're here to reach.

1 Corinthians 8

4 Concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but One.

5 For though there be what are called "gods," whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many "gods" and many "lords"),

6 yet to us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things, and we in Him, and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom are all things, and we by Him.

7 However, there is not in every man that knowledge; for some, with conscience of the idol until this hour, eat it as a thing offered unto an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.

8 But meat commendeth us not to God, for neither are we the better if we eat, nor are we the worse if we eat not.

9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.

If you believe that your actions at a halloween celebration would be a stumbling block to someone, please stay home.

Deut 24:5

When a man takes a new wife, he shall not go out with the army nor be charged with any duty; he shall be free at home one year and shall give happiness to his wife whom he has taken.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

First off It is a Pagan Holiday

So? What do origins have to do with anything? Who created all things? What makes one day more evil/holy than the next? Is God not Redeemer? Do you use a calendar?

no Christian should be apart of it at all!!!!

Scripture reference? It's legalistic to dictate what is and is not sin for others if it is not explicitly stated in Scripture. Unless you can find a Scripture that states we are not to participate, then it is a matter of personal conviction and you should leave the convicting up to the Holy Spirit. Now, if you have a personal conviction about it and choose not to participate, wonderful....that's between you and God. But if other believers have prayed and feel no such conviction, they should not receive condemnation for choosing to participate.

Word of God says Don't do as the Heathan do we should not be apart of any of there pagan ways or actions.

Scripture reference? Have you read Romans 14?

When we were in youth we would go out and give tracks to the homes. Any children walking by we would leave a track about Jesus and Lifting him up in there lives.

Also we could find cheap small Bibles to place in the bags. We gave no candy as to be in any way apart of the celebration of this character of this holiday.

I also do not celebrate Christmas as it is the birthday of Tamuza which is of a pagan religion. Christ was never born on Christmas day. All the symbols are pagan and ritualistic in christmas.

I chose to celebrate Thanksgiving with gifts unto those we are thankful for that year and this way we by pass all pagan rituals against God.

We do not celebrate Easter to for it is all Pagan and has nothing to do with Christ whatsoever.

May I ask if you refrain from these holidays because of a personal conviction about them or if it's because you were taught that they were evil due to their "pagan origins"? If it's a personal conviction why are you forcing it on others? If it's something you were taught, why are you following someone else's conviction and not your own? What Scriptural support did those who taught you this use to back up this teaching? Chick tracts?

Just because we want to do it and celebrate it and choose to do so does not mean God is well pleased with our pagan manner in which we choose to ignore him and his truth because we wnat to or we use the words Lighten up, Or theres no harm in it, were just having a little fun.

Fun against God against his turth, against all that he gave his life for. That to me is not fun that is Rebellion, Subborness and Disobedience against God and his Salvation and his Holy Spirit.

Until it is biblically proven that it is sin or "against his truth", it should not be labeled rebellion. In fact, it's extremely dangerous for you to judge another person's heart regarding matters like this (i.e calling those who participate as being rebellious). Assuming you know another person's heart attitude is like pretending to be the Holy Spirit. That's something I'd consider being rebellious and disobedient. Let the Holy Spirit do His own job.

Would Jesus do what you do, would he celebrate with you Christmas if he were here, would he follow your through your rituals at Easter would he have anything to do with Holloween.

No he would not so neither should we.

Oh yay, the ever popular WWJD argument. How can you definitively claim that Christ would not do something if you are not Christ? First of all, Scripture seems to indicate Christ placed human relationships and a person's spiritual condition above cultural/religious stigmas and "taboos". He broke barriers by placing Himself in situations and places where He would come in contact with the people who needed Him the most. He was seen interacting with "sinners" so frequently that He was mistakenly accused of being a sinner Himself. Although He never sinned, the very fact that He was accused of such is a good indicator that He was around things that religious people considered wrong. If I was going to take a guess on how Christ would handle the Holidays (judging by the record in Scripture of His behavior), I believe He would not be condemning people (John 3:17) and I believe He would be wherever the people would be. What better opportunity to love on people than when they are coming to your own front door? This doesn't mean preach to them, it means love on them. Show them the love of Christ inside of you. That is what Jesus would do. When He encountered the woman at the well: 1) He was breaking cultural/religious barriers by even being in that area 2) He was breaking cultural/religious barriers by approaching/interacting with a woman 3) He did not condemn her, He showed her lovingkindness. She came for water, He changed her life. When children come to our doors for candy, why can't we use this opportunity to express the love of Christ that can change their lives?

Lastly, for those who are adamantly opposed to Halloween let me ask you this:

1. Do you celebrate birthdays of family members and friends? If so, how is that different than participating in any other holiday?

2. Paul states in Romans 14 that we are free to eat meat, even meat that was once used in sacrifice to idols. If we are free to consume (absorb into our temple) something that was originated (or used) for evil, why can we not participate in a day/event that originated as something "pagan"? If, in our hearts, we are not observing anything evil...how can it be called sin? Isn't it the heart's intent that matters?

3. In Genesis 50:20, Joseph shows us how God took something that the enemy meant for evil and He redeemed it. God used it for good. Why can't this concept be applied to other areas of our lives? Even if something was originally intended for something evil or anti-God, why can't we take that very thing and use it for God's glory?

4. What is more important: A) showing the world that you don't participate in Halloween (i.e. that you are "separate") or B) showing the world love and grace. Because honestly, alot of times it cannot be both.

Sometimes in our pursuit to be "separate" we inadvertantly alienate the very people we're here to reach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very Good reply Tess :21:

WOW did I say that, :)

God Bless,

Kansas Dad

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

If you believe that your actions at a halloween celebration would be a stumbling block to someone, please stay home.

Oh that reminds me of another question I had: What if a person believes that not participating in halloween would cause someone to stumble?

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Halloween has completely pagan origins.  As innocent as some people see it, it's not something to take lightly.  Even though the Bible doesn't talk about Halloween, it does set up guidelines regarding the behavior.  (Witchcraft and occultism.)  I think if parents allow their children to celebrate Halloween, they should be careful not to let their kids become involved in the deeper aspects of the "holiday". 

God gives all of us the liberty, as Christians, to celebrate or not celebrate as we see fit.  I don't think there's anything evil about dressing up as a cowboy or a princess and going around the neighborhood asking for candy, but it's something parents should monitor and be involved in.  Christian participation should still reflect a Christian/redeemed life.  I think it's up to each person to decide. 

"Be Holy, as I am Holy" 1Peter 1:16. 

"God is light and in Him is no darkness at all" I John 1:5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, Keith. I couldn't agree more.

Christians must keep in mind that Halloween is indeed a "high holy day" in the Satanic world.

I'm not legalistic about it. I allow my kids to dress up as characters (non-evil ones) and enjoy the festivities at our church.

But, I would never take them to a "Haunted House" or other event that glorifies the demonic.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/10/1981

My plans for this Halloween.... hand out the best candy on the block, include a nifty tract, be nice to everyone who comes to my door, and allow people within the neighbourhood to get to know me and me to know them.

I will do so to bless those who come to my door, and to bless my community, and to build relationships and to let those who meet me know that Christians are all boring stuffy and reclusive.

And I may even pull out the super soaker and drench some university students who go out :)

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Halloween has completely pagan origins.  As innocent as some people see it, it's not something to take lightly.  Even though the Bible doesn't talk about Halloween, it does set up guidelines regarding the behavior.  (Witchcraft and occultism.)  I think if parents allow their children to celebrate Halloween, they should be careful not to let their kids become involved in the deeper aspects of the "holiday". 

Did you totally miss my post, or not understand it? Yes Halloween isn't a Christain Holiday, but that doesn't mean its a bad thing. And when it was originally celebrated (thousands of years before the bible even spoke of witchcraft) it was a celebration of life and the harvest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although that may be true (the history that you laid out)... Halloween today is associated with darkness and evil. Therefore, we must look at it in that context.

The same argument is used for Christmas. December 25th is the ancient date of the Roman festival of Saturnalia. It was a pagan event and Christians should have no part of it. But, today December 25 is widely held as the celebration of the birth of Christ. Thus, I draw ZERO connection between Saturnalia and Christmas.

Now, with Halloween the shoe is on the other foot. What wasn't so bad then is perceived to be evil now. Thus, that is the current context of the holiday.