IGNORED

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - CHRISTIAN OR CULTIC?

Bawb

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

45 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

No, it does not. Some are good. Some are bad, just like everyone else. The only fault I have with these books is the premise of elitism. One is either born a wizard or not, and there is no way for a "muggle" to perform magic no matter how hard they train. It's fantasy, and quite inane in many ways. As I said, it's a hero's journey. It's about the main character facing his fears (the evil wizard) and overcoming them.

I agree with you on the elitism point. It's a bit of a blind spot of the wizard world in general and I wonder if it was intentional on Rowling's part. There are a few issues I have with the overall world-building as well.

There were some wizards and witches that came from non-magical parents though - Hermione and Harry's mother, for example.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Josheb said:
Where this discipline of the tongue is practiced right from the beginning, each individual will make a matchless discovery. He will be able to cease from constantly scrutinizing the other person, judging him, condemning him, putting him in his particular place where he can gain ascendancy over him and thus doing violence to him as a person. Now he can allow the brother to exist as a completely free person, as God made him to be. His view expands and, to his amazement, for the first time he sees, shining above his brethren, the richness of God’s creative glory. God did not make this person as I would have made him. He did not give him to me as a brother for me to dominate and control, but in order that I might find above him the Creator. Now the other person, in the freedom with which he was created, becomes the occasion for joy, whereas before he was only a nuisance and an affliction. God does not will that I should fashion the other person according to my image; rather in his very freedom from me God made this person in His image. I can never know beforehand how God’s image should appear in others. That image always manifests a completely new and unique form that comes solely from God’s free and sovereign creation."

”…he who can no longer listen to his brother will soon be no longer listening to God, either; he will be doing nothing but prattle in the presence of God, too. This is the beginning of the death of the spiritual life, and in the end there is nothing left but spiritual chatter and clerical condescension arrayed in pious words… Anyone who thinks his time is too valuable to spend keeping quiet will eventually have no time for God and his brother, but only for himself and for his own follies."

thanks for this share @Josheb

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  1

55 minutes ago, Josheb said:

You still love me? :D

Yep...

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

19 hours ago, B-B said:

Thank you @David1701 for your posts, I know you spoke out of genuine concern. If I may put your mind at rest. I'm not into idol worship or witchcraft. I'm able to read literature by C S Lewis and the LOTR by Tolkien, without it negatively affecting my walk with the Lord.

God bless

Are you certain that it doesn't negatively affect your walk with the Lord?  Not even a little bit?

23 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Are you certain that it doesn't negatively affect your walk with the Lord?  Not even a little bit?

Meaning...? 😬

1 hour ago, B-B said:

Meaning...? 😬

There was no hidden meaning.  I've heard quite a few Christians say similar things about worldly music (including openly satanic groups), worldly films, worldly books, etc..  When you ask them how they know that they are not adversely affected, you get responses like, "I just know.", or, "There's no law against it.", or some other non-answer.

King David said, "I will set no evil thing before my eyes." - wise man.

Our brains create new pathways all the time, based on what we experience.

1 minute ago, David1701 said:

King David said, "I will set no evil thing before my eyes." - wise man.

And King David was known as a man after Gods own heart …

I don’t believe C S Lewis reading material is evil. Neither do I believe the LOTR to be evil. (Which is what my posts have been about). 

1 minute ago, B-B said:

And King David was known as a man after Gods own heart …

I don’t believe C S Lewis reading material is evil. Neither do I believe the LOTR to be evil. (Which is what my posts have been about). 

Okay, then that leads on to another question: do you believe that glorifying witchcraft is good, or evil (whether it's "white" witchcraft or not)?

1 minute ago, David1701 said:

Okay, then that leads on to another question: do you believe that glorifying witchcraft is good, or evil (whether it's "white" witchcraft or not)?

I don’t see how this question leads on from my answer, or how it relates to me enjoying C S Lewis reading material. 

1 minute ago, B-B said:

I don’t see how this question leads on from my answer, or how it relates to me enjoying C S Lewis reading material. 

You mentioned LOTR, which openly glorifies witchcraft, as do the Narnia books, by C.S. Lewis; that was the reason for my question.