IGNORED

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - CHRISTIAN OR CULTIC?

Bawb

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.15
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, David1701 said:

You mentioned LOTR, which openly glorifies witchcraft, as do the Narnia books, by C.S. Lewis; that was the reason for my question.

Okay…Well, you are very much entitled to your views/opinions about what the books may or may not glorify, but, please keep in mind, that not everyone shares your views David. Do you also believe that both Authors solely wrote their material with an agenda to glorify witchcraft?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.46
  • Days Won:  12

8 minutes ago, B-B said:

Okay…Well, you are very much entitled to your views/opinions about what the books may or may not glorify, but, please keep in mind, that not everyone shares your views David. Do you also believe that both Authors solely wrote their material with an agenda to glorify witchcraft?

I said nothing about an agenda that was solely to glorify witchcraft.  That is a straw man.

That LOTR and the Narnia Chronicles glorify witchcraft, is completely undeniable.  They do not try to hide it at all.  In both cases, the whole saga is about "good" witchcraft versus bad witchcraft.  There is Gandalf, the "good" wizard, in LOTR, and various instances of "good" magic in Narnia, including Aslan's resurrection, which is claimed to be based on a more ancient magic than that of the witch who kills him.  This is incredibly blasphemous, since Aslan is obviously supposed to represent the Lord Jesus Christ, to whom magic is an abomination!

9 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I said nothing about an agenda that was solely to glorify witchcraft.  That is a straw man.

I don’t believe it is a strawman.. I believe this question ties into your concerns about these two sets of books, as it reflects upon its actual Authors. (Both of whom were intelligent human beings who I’m sure would have had some awareness  about how their reading material was going to be perceived by the general public, Believers & Unbelievers).

Edited by B-B

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, David1701 said:

That LOTR and the Narnia Chronicles glorify witchcraft, is completely undeniable.  They do not try to hide it at all.  In both cases, the whole saga is about "good" witchcraft versus bad witchcraft.  There is Gandalf, the "good" wizard, in LOTR, and various instances of "good" magic in Narnia, including Aslan's resurrection, which is claimed to be based on a more ancient magic than that of the witch who kills him.  This is incredibly blasphemous, since Aslan is obviously supposed to represent the Lord Jesus Christ, to whom magic is an abomination!

Magic is just part of those universes. You are mixing up the forbidden use of magic/sorcery as relayed in the Bible with made-up magic of fictional universes. 

The Bible does not even really give us much hint of how it works, other than the Egyptian priests (arguable whether that was even real magic or sleight-of-hand) and the witch of Endor. In the NT, I guess there was Simon the sorcerer (of which we know nothing about what he was actually doing), and those scrolls people burned (which we don't know what was on them). Might be a few others I've missed.

13 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Magic is just part of those universes. You are mixing up the forbidden use of magic/sorcery as relayed in the Bible with made-up magic of fictional universes. 

The Bible does not even really give us much hint of how it works, other than the Egyptian priests (arguable whether that was even real magic or sleight-of-hand) and the witch of Endor. In the NT, I guess there was Simon the sorcerer (of which we know nothing about what he was actually doing), and those scrolls people burned (which we don't know what was on them). Might be a few others I've missed.

I'm not "mixing up" anything!  Sorcery is evil, whether in the Bible or fictional books.

The Bible tells us enough about magic to know that it's an abomination to God.  It is demonic.

24 minutes ago, B-B said:

I don’t believe it is a strawman.. I believe this question ties into your concerns about these two sets of books, as it reflects upon its actual Authors. (Both of whom were intelligent human beings who I’m sure would have had some awareness  about how their reading material was going to be perceived by the general public, Believers & Unbelievers).

Perhaps you don't know what a straw man argument is.  It is when you set up a position, purporting to be that of the other person, in a discussion, when, in fact, it is not that person's position.

My position is not that the intention of either C.S. Lewis, or J.R.R. Tolkien was solely to glorify witchcraft.  Your argument against that position is, therefore, by definition, a straw man argument.

Intelligence is not the point here at all.  The issue is righteousness, or lack of it.  That both authors glorify witchcraft is completely undeniable; so, the question is whether or not that is a righteous thing to do.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I'm not "mixing up" anything!  Sorcery is evil, whether in the Bible or fictional books.

The Bible tells us enough about magic to know that it's an abomination to God.  It is demonic.

Your opinion is noted.

18 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Perhaps you don't know what a straw man argument is.  It is when you set up a position, purporting to be that of the other person, in a discussion, when, in fact, it is not that person's position.

I stand by what I said. My question was not a straw man. Neither was it a deflection, nor was I trying to evade your original question. It directly linked in to your concerns about the reading material. 

Edited by B-B

14 minutes ago, David1701 said:

My position is not that the intention of either C.S. Lewis, or J.R.R. Tolkien was solely to glorify witchcraft

What do you then believe was the intention of both Authors in their choice of content for their reading material?

Edited by B-B

13 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The issue is righteousness, or lack of it.

- what do you mean by this? You brought up the issue of righteousness before, but didn’t expand on what you meant.

Edited by B-B