• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1,190
  • Topics Per Day:  0.67
  • Content Count:  1,742
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—

but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge.

And don't stay angry.

Don't go to bed angry.

Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life.”

Ephesians 4:26-27

“The fastest horse cannot catch a word spoken in anger.”

[Chinese Proverb]

Naturally, God Speaks

Web455.JPG.cecdbb5674205fe7a9b7eeac1f74cc7b.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I really dislike your translation you are using.  Here is what it says in the NKJV for Ephesians 4:26-27

"Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, OneLight said:

I really dislike your translation you are using.  Here is what it says in the NKJV for Ephesians 4:26-27

"Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.

Like you and jade, I'm not fond of "The message" version and do NOT read or use it because in many places within it, there are passages that have that  "new age" wording.  This is more noticeable when reading other versions next to it, side by side.   The quoted verse,  from "the message" sounds so contrary to  other scriptures that teach us to not be angry.  In regard to paraphrases, I prefer the LB or NIV for this passage.  

Ephesians 4:26-27 (LB)
If you are angry, don’t sin by nursing your grudge. Don’t let the sun go down with you still angry—get over it quickly; 27 for when you are angry, you give a mighty foothold to the devil.

Ephesians 4:26-27 (NIV)
“In your anger do not sin” Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

@Daily verse and quote

I want you to know, that your posts for the most part, are quite interesting and certainly give a lot of folks something to ponder on for the day, or something to smile about. :wub:

• Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, appy said:

Like you and jade, I'm not fond of "The message" version and do NOT read or use it because in many places within it, there are passages that have that  "new age" wording.  This is more noticeable when reading other versions next to it, side by side.   The quoted verse,  from "the message" sounds so contrary to  other scriptures that teach us to not be angry.  In regard to paraphrases, I prefer the LB or NIV for this passage.  

Ephesians 4:26-27 (LB)
If you are angry, don’t sin by nursing your grudge. Don’t let the sun go down with you still angry—get over it quickly; 27 for when you are angry, you give a mighty foothold to the devil.

Ephesians 4:26-27 (NIV)
“In your anger do not sin” Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.

The Message is not a translation and should not be used for study.  It is full of idioms and can often lead the reader astray from what the scriptures truly say.  Anyone who follows 2 Timothy 2:15 closely should never use the Message.

10 hours ago, OneLight said:

My post go to a wide variety of readers. They go from the K.J.V. to The Message. The wording is different, but most convey the same thought in one way or another. I do occasionally use the NKJV a I deem appropriate. but thank you for your comment.

10 hours ago, OneLight said:

There is a real cross-section of Christians who read these posts. Some were raised reading the K.J.V., which says things in a "stilted way"...not the language people use in everyday conversation. This forum is meant to appeal to ALL Christians, young and old. So some freely translated verses, such as in The Message, can be understood by everyone, even if the wording is not acceptable to some.

5 hours ago, appy said:

@Daily verse and quote

I want you to know, that your posts for the most part, are quite interesting and certainly give a lot of folks something to ponder on for the day, or something to smile about. :wub:

Thank you! There is a saying that: "You can please some of the people all the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." Your post is an example of that fact. Thank you for voicing your thoughts on this issue.

3 hours ago, OneLight said:

The Message is not a translation and should not be used for study.  It is full of idioms and can often lead the reader astray from what the scriptures truly say.  Anyone who follows 2 Timothy 2:15 closely should never use the Message.

There is a real cross-section of Christians who read these posts. Some were raised reading the K.J.V., which says things in a "stilted way"...not the language people use in everyday conversation. This forum is meant to appeal to ALL Christians, young and old. So some freely translated verses, such as in The Message, can be understood by everyone, even if the wording is not acceptable to some.

1 minute ago, Daily verse and quote said:

Thank you! There is a saying that: "You can please some of the people all the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." Your post is an example of that fact. Thank you for voicing your thoughts on this issue.

1 hour ago, Daily verse and quote said:

My post go to a wide variety of readers. They go from the K.J.V. to The Message. The wording is different, but most convey the same thought in one way or another. I do occasionally use the NKJV a I deem appropriate. but thank you for your comment.

I have nothing against other translations, just when people push The Message as a translation or call it scripture.  It's not.  It is Mr. Petersons attempt to transform scripture through his poetic lens.  Being that there are so many real translations, why do you use a book that is not even a translation and full of idioms instread of a straight translation?? 

• Thumbs Up 1