The occasional visitor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

This is a situation I literally went through when I used to coordinate and direct our church Christmas programme. The parent in question was a former youth group/ church attendant who'd send her daughter by with her grandfather every few months.

Theres a valuable lesson here. Can you find it?

P.S The last box should be grey not green

CHILD.png

Edited by creativemechanic

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

Deleted 

Edited by Hopefully

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,131
  • Content Per Day:  9.63
  • Days Won:  149

Sinful motive is often involved. I think we've all seen it. It gets ugly to look at up close sometimes. 

On a few occasions when I was a WL Christmas would roll around and someone would come out of nowhere asking to sing "special music" either Christmas or on Easter. Wouldn't see them any other time.Never had an interest in the music there before that. 

Those child things around the holidays are generally cute and well accepted by the parents. In my opinion the "cute" factor was outweighing the spiritual importance of the service. "Oh look at little Sally up there dressed like Mary".

Two positives though. It involves the parents and the children in a community event. 

As to who gets to do what when, those little petty things can ruin it. 

Should we refuse a child entry into a program because mom hasn't been there? I don't think that's really fair. The child went when she was taken. Often attendance and family status in a church are seen as a "star" for what are seen as prime positions.

I don't think this should be, but there are "power families" in every church and most of the time they have the pastor's ear. This has caused many problems internally.

God advances men to where He wants them. Men also put other men where they want them, often for THEIR interest. How do we tell the difference? 

If there are people in the church that can't use their gifts something is wrong. I'm talking about sincere people with clean motives.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,722
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The error in the second to last box being green and not grey means this is a fake conversation. Not that you can't learn anything from it....

But with that said...I can see both sides of the argument. Is it fair to the regular attendents to let someone who never goes to give a part to someone who hardly shows up?

But the flip side is...it can also be a witnessing opportunity to the person who is rarely there and may encourage them to come regularly. 

Honestly though I guess I've never seen where it's a problem. I've always attended smaller churches so it might be in a larger one, but in the churches info to there's always enough parts to go around.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

This is a situation I literally went through when I used to coordinate and direct our church Christmas programme. The parent in question was a former youth group/ church attendant who'd send her daughter by with her grandfather every few months.

CHILD.png

Looks like you stepped on a land mind.

Well we must be sensitive where people are and when they will perceive your coaxing as pushing.  Obviously there are some deep seated feelings about God this person is trying to deal with, they are conflicted, they want their daughter exposed, but they don't know how to deal with. I expect there was a bad unresolved life experience with someone in a church somewhere

Edited by Riverwalker

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

6 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

CHILD.png

The politics of a Church. There is a lot  of it. 

4 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

The error in the second to last box being green and not grey means this is a fake conversation. Not that you can't learn anything from it....

But with that said...I can see both sides of the argument. Is it fair to the regular attendents to let someone who never goes to give a part to someone who hardly shows up?

But the flip side is...it can also be a witnessing opportunity to the person who is rarely there and may encourage them to come regularly. 

Honestly though I guess I've never seen where it's a problem. I've always attended smaller churches so it might be in a larger one, but in the churches info to there's always enough parts to go around.

it is a fake convo. Hence the cartoon child in it, but as I said  it was based on an actual situation I was in

30 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The politics of a Church. There is a lot  of it. 

Not so much. Heres how it basically went.

The mother was a former attendant who never got saved and left to live how she wanted after a while. She and I were friends actualy. Her father still regularly attended and on occasion, the child would come, once every couple of months with him.

One day , the mother out of the blue messages me asking if I could put her daughter in the christmas programme, as I coordinated alot of it. I explained ,  just let her come regularly and theyll give her a part. The child in fact did not come regularly in the months leading up to the programme, if memory serves correct, not at all. As the programme drew close, I asked the mother if they were coming to see the programme and she told me- Im not. I told you to put my child in the programme and you didnt.

It amazing how the bible often predicts many things long before theyd happen- 1 Timothhy 5:22 says:

New King James Version
Do not lay hands on anyone hastily, nor share in other people’s sins; keep yourself pure

Churches often offer opportunities to people to shine and show off their talents- singing , playing instruments act etc. Sometimes people with no interest in church or serving God will come. Its easy to be dazzled by a persons talent or wanting to give people chances and give people who arent interested,  opportunities. This can  be disastrous if we arent careful to vex who we give opportunities because it can damage the church and christianity as a wholes ministry.

Youll have people living any kind of was in open sin want to come up onstage and perform and disappear when they dont have to or even troublemakers join a ministry both of which can be disastrous

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

23 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

Not so much. Heres how it basically went.

The mother was a former attendant who never got saved and left to live how she wanted after a while. She and I were friends actualy. Her father still regularly attended and on occasion, the child would come, once every couple of months with him.

One day , the mother out of the blue messages me asking if I could put her daughter in the christmas programme, as I coordinated alot of it. I explained ,  just let her come regularly and theyll give her a part. The child in fact did not come regularly in the months leading up to the programme, if memory serves correct, not at all. As the programme drew close, I asked the mother if they were coming to see the programme and she told me- Im not. I told you to put my child in the programme and you didnt.

It amazing how the bible often predicts many things long before theyd happen- 1 Timothhy 5:22 says:

New King James Version
Do not lay hands on anyone hastily, nor share in other people’s sins; keep yourself pure

Churches often offer opportunities to people to shine and show off their talents- singing , playing instruments act etc. Sometimes people with no interest in church or serving God will come. Its easy to be dazzled by a persons talent or wanting to give people chances and give people who arent interested,  opportunities. This can  be disastrous if we arent careful to vex who we give opportunities because it can damage the church and christianity as a wholes ministry.

Youll have people living any kind of was in open sin want to come up onstage and perform and disappear when they dont have to or even troublemakers join a ministry both of which can be disastrous

I have talked to pastors who have said there is a lot of politics and gripping among the members. They get tired of it. 

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I have talked to pastors who have said there is a lot of politics and gripping among the members. They get tired of it. 

yeah