IGNORED

Should marriage be a legal right ? What happens if someone leaves you, Wrongs you, Or leaves you with nothing ? Then What ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  310
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/27/2022 at 11:08 AM, Slibhin said:

Why would anyone want to stay married to someone who doesn't want to be?

Do you mean like Hosea with Gomer?

9 hours ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

I also believe that it should require 2 person consent to divorce just like it does to marry.

And if God says He hates divorce? (Mal 2:16)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,049
  • Content Per Day:  1.61

59 minutes ago, chesed said:

And if God says He hates divorce? (Mal 2:16)

Yes, God hates divorce. But he also permits it. Real Christians should never get divorced, but unfortunately not all Christians obey God. Divorce is giving up, and personally I don't believe the true follower of God EVER gives up. Hope that didn't complicate it further.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

7 hours ago, Slibhin said:

Great, if he is beating the tar out of her he has a means of forcing her to remain in his life.

You twist my words. I never said a person should be required to live with their spouse. I only said they shouldn't be allowed to divorce them. If people were only allowed 1 marriage in life, I am confident that people would wait longer and be far more careful when choosing their spouse. I don't believe abuse is ever right or that people should stay together in abuse. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,938
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  232
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Ok so I left my abusive husband and took our children (  who he had threatened to kill and hid )  According to you I should not have been able to protect the children  as he had equal right to them . If I had not been able to divorce him I would not have had the legal right to stop him from disapearing with them and harming them  Not everything is black and white when it comes to people  and I did believe we would be together for life or I wouldnt have suffered 10 years of abuse  that only showed up AFTER we were married 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, ladypeartree said:

Ok so I left my abusive husband and took our children (  who he had threatened to kill and hid )  According to you I should not have been able to protect the children  as he had equal right to them . If I had not been able to divorce him I would not have had the legal right to stop him from disapearing with them and harming them  Not everything is black and white when it comes to people  and I did believe we would be together for life or I wouldnt have suffered 10 years of abuse  that only showed up AFTER we were married 

I'm truly sorry to hear that you and your kids had to go through that. I admit there are many gray areas, even in places scripture seems to allow only 1 course of action for. In my opinion, a parent always has the responsibility to protect their kids, but I also believe parents give up too easily sometimes. I am not making any judgement on you. Only Jesus has the right to say if you did right or wrong. I pray safety for you and peace. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,938
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  232
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Thank you ..it was many  years ago but I just want to make sure others dont feel condemned for doing what is needed  :emot-hug:

11 hours ago, Slibhin said:

G-d told him to marry her and forgive her adultery. Not sure what you're getting at.

The point is, although God told him to marry Gomer and forgive her adultery, maybe we should do likewise in our difficult marital situations.

Edited by chesed
clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Slibhin said:

Some problems cannot be solved via forgiveness. Once physical violence, adultery or abuse enters the picture a spouse has a duty to leave in my opinion.

Most problems can be solved through a forgiving spirit or at least be diffused so they won't escalate. After all, God forgave us in Jesus Christ.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

The important is to be right before Jesus. If the person is behaving pursuant to the standards of the Kingdom of Heaven, hardly ever this person will be forsaken by the spouse. 

And, if this happens, certainly will care for this person in a supernatural way:

1Co 7:12-16 -> " To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is n unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?".