Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

This topic does not get much attention on this forum and elsewhere.

What resources, if any, do we use in our Bible studies and why? Why do we use the Bible translations we use? Denominational, the accuracy of the transcriptions, ease of understanding, and reading? Do you reference more than one translation?

How does one study the Bible, verse by verse, topical, systematic theology?

What determines the commentaries, dictionaries, encyclopedias, lexicons, and other resource material you utilize, if any?

In the Genesis account, if we believe in the literal six-day creation versus a Gap Theory, do we dismiss scholars like C.I. Scofield and G.H. Pember, to name two, as heretics, and ignore the rest of their exegetical scholarship?

What are your material preferences and preferred methods of Bible study?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,226
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Dennis,

Good subject. I had very good teachers through out my life and very appreciative of them. Obviously I had to do the work and look into God`s word myself.

As I am a `big picture` person I have found that knowing God`s eternal purposes in Christ has given me a good framework wherein I can place all the details. For we know that individual scriptures need to fit in with all of God`s word.

I have also found that knowing Christ is the center of His word stops me from placing myself there. I see that reading God`s word all about me, (instead of for me to understand God`s purposes) has led many astray.

Then I see that there are three groups that God has purposes for in Christ - The Body of Christ, Israel and the nations. Not knowing this truth has also led many into great error.

I use the New King James version, and others sometimes, mainly to keep constant in my posts or blogs. I read other`s writings like C.J Rolls, who have an encyclopedic knowledge of God`s word, plus listen to videos of Derick Prince  etc. I take in the truths that God has especially given them and not expect everything to be correct.

We need to remember that the Holy Spirit was given to lead us into ALL truth, and that takes time. We believers today are truly blessed with all the great truths that have been restored to the Body of Christ. I am doing another blog and it is about how the Head of the Body has revealed His truths to the Body of Christ, by the Holy Spirit through Paul`s letters.

My preferred method of study is around a topic that I am preparing for my blogs, plus any questions our group brings up for discussion, and for threads on the forums. 

Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

im fairly new to bible study, i am studying Paul's epistles and have nearly completed them, oh and the Book of Acts. i use the  Authorised King James Bible,  and doing this study has changed me. i am not the same person i was pre- lockdown. i wasnt even on milk before but now i am on meat. and its great!!! bible study is never over, there is always things to learn!!

i started to realise that main stream church hardly, if ever, preach Paul's epistles. i have also learnt that i lose Christian folk when i start talking about Paul. its like i have taken the red pill as against the blue pill. but i am ok about that, as this isnt for eternity this bit of life, this side of heaven. it gets tough at times, because now i can 'see' Christians not living out a good testimony. and that is too painful to be around but like i said we will soon be in eternity. i now know that i am Saved and i dont have to do anything to keep being saved or to stop myself from losing my Salvation. its the treasure in the field!!  i know that i know

all this i have learnt by myself, church or other Christians never told me any of this,

the gospel of my salvation = Saved

rapture -yeah i know not everyone believes in the rapture. anyway being Saved is the Most Critical thing everything else is extra is my wee small understanding of things at the moment

Edited by existential mabel
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

On 8/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, Dennis1209 said:

This topic does not get much attention on this forum and elsewhere.

What resources, if any, do we use in our Bible studies and why? Why do we use the Bible translations we use? Denominational, the accuracy of the transcriptions, ease of understanding, and reading? Do you reference more than one translation?

How does one study the Bible, verse by verse, topical, systematic theology?

What determines the commentaries, dictionaries, encyclopedias, lexicons, and other resource material you utilize, if any?

In the Genesis account, if we believe in the literal six-day creation versus a Gap Theory, do we dismiss scholars like C.I. Scofield and G.H. Pember, to name two, as heretics, and ignore the rest of their exegetical scholarship?

What are your material preferences and preferred methods of Bible study?

I'll tell you what I use.  I'm a KJV man (I've read other translations completely).  However, I do like the NKJV because the translation is essentially the same but without the archaic language.  In that manner the KJV is actually updated back whenever after the original.  But the seed of that translation was from the original KJV.  I personally believe that the KJV was translated at a specific prophetic time in history (even though it was not the first English translation) and thus the reason it stands as what many believe is the English standard.  It's sort of like trying to understand why the USA held on to the "archaic" English system of measure, which is something of biblical origin while the rest of the world grasped on to a substitute earth-based measure.

As for study aids, I do gleaning  from different sources and  teachers as I do not believe everyone (including myself) is privy to all truth.  But the Lord reveals some things to one person and other things to another and it's our job to figure what is of the Word based by what the Word says.  However, that may sound theoretically like we should all approach truth absolutely one day, but due to different cultures and interpretations people read something in the Bible that may or may not be there.  Context and comparing scripture helps to filter that out. In short, we won't know all truth until "we shall know as we are known" to paraphrase 1 Corinthians 13.  

There are confusing things out there.  To name a few in health, stay out of the sun (or should we)? Is salt bad for you?  How about saturated fat?  Here's one:  some scientists now believe that DHA and EPA fatty acids in fish are antagonists and may not be as good for you as previously thought?  What are we to believe?  Well, I found answers to these specific questions and more in the Bible with a straightforward reading.  It takes some deductive reasoning. What about other things in life?  So-called climate change.  Wow!  We get flooding rain in one place and drought in another.  Why?  All sorts of theories prevail, but the Bible gives the answer. Likewise, we are not going to destroy our planet by nuclear war (maybe come close to it but not utter destruction)  The Bible says why.

So whenever there's a lifestyle question, or any things about circumstances, believe the Bible, not "experts".

But for sure, a lot of that is found in the Old Testament, and Torah.  I get a tad annoyed by Christians so-called who would truncate the OT and whittle their Bible down to a New Testament only claiming "we are no longer under the Law" as if it's more or less useless.  But they will run to all sorts of doctors, counselors, and others giving advice instead while we are to "pray for them" and they wonder why they are in a mess. It's not always wrong to seek help outside, but there's a limit to what a person ought to believe by these sources. And it's helpful  to test all that so that a person does not put themselves through something useless, like the woman with an "issue of blood" that spent all she had on physicians.  LOL Like Solomon stated, there is nothing new under the sun. So when one gets to that point, they have to admit that sure is not the truth.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, tim_from_pa said:

However, that may sound theoretically like we should all approach truth absolutely one day, but due to different cultures and interpretations people read something in the Bible that may or may not be there. 

Yes, I did just that moments ago with the thread title, "Noah's Flood." My questions center around two of the major views, both cannot be correct. I didn't mention, with all the glaring holes in the Seth - Cain view, I don't understand why so many dismiss the supernatural view. The whole Bible is supernatural. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

13 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yes, I did just that moments ago with the thread title, "Noah's Flood." My questions center around two of the major views, both cannot be correct. I didn't mention, with all the glaring holes in the Seth - Cain view, I don't understand why so many dismiss the supernatural view. The whole Bible is supernatural. 

Here's a possible problem with a "supernatural" view.  When someone says that word, it conjures up the image of God breaking his own laws of nature to do something else.  I can understand why that would bother an atheist because the laws of nature are violated.  Indeed, it bothers me, too.  That's because it's the very laws that (to my satisfaction) proves the existence of God. If rules were violated, then by the very nature of that act would be the same as chaos (almost) unless it could be proven there's a concept behind some supernatural act. I would expect a universe to be in chaos without God because one day the laws of gravy would work, another day gravity may reverse itself, and another day gravity might not exist, that is, if there is such a thing as a day because everything would be confused.  Purposelessness =Randomness.  That's the whole point of statistics.  If there's no reason, you get randomness. When something "averages" out and occurs more than a random chance, then there's a purpose (or thought) behind your results.

Now, if I may use an illustration ad nauseam, a watch will not make itself.  There has to be a creator.  That's the argument used for the supernatural creation of Adam.  But they missed one minor point:  the laws of physics are not violated to make the watch.  It's using the same laws as a creative act. The same goes with the Lord.  So, supernatural may very well be natural with an active purpose behind it, or as I used to say, that supernatural is a degree of natural. Hyper-natural if you choose.

• Thumbs Up 1