WordSword

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  174
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,187
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Note: This prologue is a theoretical hypotheses of Israel’s eschatology, and is what I think (and all the Plymouth Brethren) is probably truth; and let us be aware that regardless of what may be considered, it is not essential doctrine, same for any growth truth that has no effect on one’s salvation (i.e. whether or not if one believes salvation is permanent does not affect being saved.) 

The Lord has come and many Gentiles have received Him, but still not many of God’s people have received Him; but this will come later, after they see Him (Jhn 20:29). There are those among “God’s people” who presently believe in God (Jn 14:1 – “believing Israel”), but not in is Son. These He has surly saved (still in union but presently out of fellowship), for what is there to be said of the years God has and is dealing with believing Israel; which is saying much more than not believing at all, which has always been the state of the majority of the world. Otherwise a vast majority of the Jews would be lost! There have always been those who believe in God who love Him, thus is the love to them to be finally shunned? God has always returned their hearts to Him and will yet do so one more time—and it will be permanent. Many I’m sure are not familiar with the fact that God has saved the Israelites who believe in Him, by the same method of Christ’ Blood efficacy, as it was “paid forward” (Act 2:2; Rom 3:25; Heb 9:15-22).

The only time that remains for the return to fellowship of believing Israel (to fellowship, not union which has never been broken) is during the Millennium, when they shall finally see Him and believe (but no son-ship in Christ, just a people of God); and this is when they and the Christians will take part in the “first resurrection” (Rev 20:5). The Lord and those with Him will teach Israel what God has prepared for them. Israel now believing in Christ will be the New Earthly representative, with Christ and those who are His instructing Israel (Mat 19:28; Luk 22:30).

The prophecies of Jerimiah and Ezekiel do not be refer to the present covenant of the Christians, because it is a covenant with man; for the present and “everlasting Covenant” is between the Father and the Son, in that the Father raised the Son from the dead after expiating their sins (Heb 13:20, et al). Thus Christians are not in a covenant with God (Benefactor), but are recipients (beneficiaries) of the “Covenant of Redemption”!

Whether or not this is just theory or truth, it thankfully is not essential doctrine, and cannot effect salvation either way it is believed.
NC

The Three Covenants

“Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. (Heb 13:20, 21).

Here we have the word “covenant” (which is so frequently mentioned in chapters 8, 9, 10, 12) and an eternal covenant. It is here we find “the God of peace bringing again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the Great Shepherd of the sheep”—how? “With the Blood of an eternal covenant.” That is, in accordance with the terms of an agreement between the Father and the Son, which terms are seen to be a promise from the Father that if the Son would become “a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death” (Heb 2:9), shedding His Blood for us, the Father would bring Him again from among the dead. The Son came to earth, and became “obedient unto death,” and the Father indeed brought Him again from among the dead. The eternal covenant was kept (“Covenant of Redemption”).

Before we go further, it will be well to look back over the Scripture teaching as to covenants. To make a covenant effective, the parties thereto must be able to fulfill the conditions undertaken. But with fallen man, such fulfillment is unthinkable, impossible. For: 

a) Man is a creature, and all the ability must be supplied by God.

b) Man is a fallen creature, and unable to put away his guilt. Therefore the legal covenant of Sinai was, as 2Cor 3:7, 9 says a “ministration of death … condemnation.” It revealed to man his helplessness, but it supplied no strength (yet forgiveness was granted to the obedient, which manifested faith – e.g. Num 15:24-31—NC). We are removed, then, in our consideration of Hebrews 13:20, both from the legal covenant of chapters 8 and 9, and from the future “new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah” (Heb 8:8) because:

a) “The Law (with its covenant) made nothing perfect” (Heb 7:19), and was “disannulled,” “because of its weakness and unprofitableness” (v 18).

b) The “new covenant” to be made with Israel and Judah at our Lord’s return to earth, we have seen is all grace—God’s operation instead of their response (Jer 31:31-24; Ezek 36:24-27; 37:12-14, 21, 23, 25-28). Therefore the “new covenant” which the Hebrew believers to whom Paul was writing had explained to them, was not yet on, nor will be until Christ’s return to earth; and then it will apply to “the house of Israel and the house of Judah,” as God says, in the land of Palestine, with the peculiar earthly blessings described in Scripture.

But—there is yet an eternal covenant, detailed in Hebrews 13:20, in which and according to which Paul knows that all believers may be made perfect in “every good work.” This eternal covenant, in which the God of peace and our Lord Jesus are the Benefactors, and the sheep are the beneficiaries—this covenant is the only covenant which believers should keep in mind as already and eternally fulfilled in its conditions (sacrifice has been made—NC), and available to all.

This is the covenant that was revealed to Paul: “The Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread … in like manner also the cup, after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in My Blood: this do, as often as ye drink it, in remembrance of Me.” This is the Eternal Covenant of which the Lord Jesus is said to be “the Mediator” (9:15), and which is celebrated in the Lord’s Supper, in view of His death, by those benefited forever thereby!

—William R Newell (1868-1956)

MJS devotional excerpt for July 29

“There are various ways in which as saints we are tried, but through all circumstances God is threading our way, occupying Himself with us, our particular characters, etc., to instruct and develop us. What we want is to realize that our Father loves us so much that He has taken such pains to make us ‘partakers of His holiness’ (Heb. 12:10). We are apt not to believe the activity of His love. Some trouble comes on us; our Father has been watching us individually for weeks, months, years; watching us to bring this trouble which He sees is needed.” –Henry Hugh Snell (1817-1892)

“How varied are the ways in which our Father bringeth down and lifteth up! We have to learn the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ in the bright day as well as in the sorrowful day. If He is everything to me in my brightest day there is no fear, but He will be my chief joy in the day of sorrow.” –MJS
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

If you’re going to copy and paste, at least go with what most scholars know

There is the covenant in the garden with Adam, there is the covenant with Noah after the flood, there is the covenant with Abraham Isaac and Jacob (which is the same covenant with the three),  there is the covenant at Mt Sinai and there is the everlasting covenant Jesus Christ, one could even include the covenant with King David seeing it involves the coming of the Lord as a son of David.

I do believe that’s at least six covenants between God and His chosen to have covenant with. Interesting though, six covenants to complete God’s work in man, and six days to complete creation in which man was made in God's image and likeness on the sixth day. which was lost untill Jesus not only restored God's image and likeness (Son of God ) in the Son of man, but made that same Life available to the faithful to His Father's satisfaction.

Edited by DPMartin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

21 minutes ago, DPMartin said:

The materials I share must be typed because they mostly have been long out of print (300 years or so).

Many if not most Scholars aren't familiar with Israel's eschatology. I believe God used certain Plymouth Brethren writers to bring forth much information that Protestants missed!

The three covenants this article addresses are major covenants from which the general covenants of which you address derive.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,508
  • Content Per Day:  1.44

56 minutes ago, DPMartin said:

There is the covenant in the garden with Adam, there is the covenant with Noah after the flood, there is the covenant with Abraham Isaac and Jacob (which is the same covenant with the three),  there is the covenant at Mt Sinai and there is the everlasting covenant Jesus Christ, one could even include the covenant with King David seeing it involves the coming of the Lord as a son of David.

I do believe that’s at least six covenants between God and His chosen to have covenant with. Interesting though, six covenants to complete God’s work in man, and six days to complete creation in which man was made in God's image and likeness on the sixth day. which was lost untill Jesus not only restored God's image and likeness (Son of God ) in the Son of man, but made that same Life available to the faithful to His Father's satisfaction.

I think some of the covenants maybe God including or setting apart others as heirs of a previous promise. Such is the case with David. It would be great if covenant theology could be a distinct discussion in the forums. Similar to the recently added topics of discussions of Amillennialism and millennialism were added.

The covenant/s made with Abraham IMO is the eternal covenant of Israel. Hebrews tells us the new covenant disannulled the carnal commandment. Which includes Gentiles as Gentiles in the promise of eternal inheritance. The entire tribe of Levi did not even receive inheritance with Israel in the Sinai covenant.

Edited by Anne2

20 minutes ago, WordSword said:

The materials I share must be typed because they mostly have been long out of print (300 years or so).

Many if not most Scholars aren't familiar with Israel's eschatology. I believe God used certain Plymouth Brethren writers to bring forth much information that Protestants missed!

The three covenants this article addresses are major covenants from which the general covenants of which you address derive.

All covenants comprising of the coming of Christ is major, the work would be incomplete without any of them. And Plymouth brothers? Maybe you should be made aware that the scholars I refer to are of protestant backgrounds. and if the scholars you know don't know what I’ve posted then you better get some different scholars to learn from.

9 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

I think some of the covenants maybe God including or setting apart others as heirs of a previous promise. Such is the case with David. It would be great if covenant theology could be a distinct discussion in the forums. Similar to the recently added topics of discussions of Amillennialism and millennialism were added

there's nothing stopping anyone from posting subjects on covenants, but it’s not a good idea to call covenants, theology. covenants are agreements not a speculative theology.

i would agree that the subject is very informative in God's relationship with man, or mankind. Mankind requires agreements to coexist peacefully, even God requires it with man.

Edited by DPMartin

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,508
  • Content Per Day:  1.44

11 minutes ago, DPMartin said:

there's nothing stopping anyone from posting subjects on covenants, but it’s not a good idea to call covenants, theology. covenants are agreements not a speculative theology.

i would agree that the subject is very informative in God's relatuionship with man, or mankind.

Theology does not speak to God's relationship to man? I don't see a problem with it. We have this in the law.

1Chron. 16:15  Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations;
16  Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac;
17  And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,

And again in the psalms

Ps 105:8 ¶  He hath remembered his covenant for ever, the word which he commanded to a thousand generations.
9  Which covenant he made with Abraham, and his oath unto Isaac;
10  And confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant:

Precidence over Sabbath

Joh 7:22  Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.

Heb 7:16  Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
17  For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
18  For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

Edited by Anne2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  4,160
  • Content Per Day:  1.42

On 9/9/2022 at 8:43 AM, WordSword said:

The prophecies of Jerimiah and Ezekiel do not be refer to the present covenant of the Christians, because it is a covenant with man; for the present and “everlasting Covenant” is between the Father and the Son, in that the Father raised the Son from the dead after expiating their sins (Heb 13:20, et al). Thus Christians are not in a covenant with God (Benefactor), but are recipients (beneficiaries) of the “Covenant of Redemption”!

Whether or not this is just theory or truth, it thankfully is not essential doctrine, and cannot effect salvation either way it is believed.

I'll start here for clarities sake, then I'll answer the other portions. There is only one true Covenant, between God and Abraham, which represents all Israel, and all the world for that matter via prophecy which says the whole world would be blessed through "Faithful Abraham". The Law was added 430 years later (Gal. ch. 3) Paul said, because of sin. Sure there are other Agreements (Covenant in Hebrew simply means Agreement) between God and other men, but only one that pertains to Salvation, and its not between Jesus and God, they is just one, its between God and Abraham, and by extension Israel, and by extension, the whole world, because Jesus was birthed by Mary, a daughter of Abraham. 

The Lord has come and many Gentiles have received Him, but still not many of God’s people have received Him; but this will come later, after they see Him (Jhn 20:29). There are those among “God’s people” who presently believe in God (Jn 14:1 – “believing Israel”), but not in is Son. These He has surly saved (still in union but presently out of fellowship), for what is there to be said of the years God has and is dealing with believing Israel; which is saying much more than not believing at all, which has always been the state of the majority of the world. Otherwise a vast majority of the Jews would be lost! There have always been those who believe in God who love Him, thus is the love to them to be finally shunned? God has always returned their hearts to Him and will yet do so one more time—and it will be permanent. Many I’m sure are not familiar with the fact that God has saved the Israelites who believe in Him, by the same method of Christ’ Blood efficacy, as it was “paid forward” (Act 2:2; Rom 3:25; Heb 9:15-22).

God prophesies that He will save Israel for His names sake, not because of anything they do, and thus He is referring unto His promise to Abraham. Jesus states there will be many people who think they are going to heaven who will not make it, saying Lord Lord did we not do this, this and this in your name and Jesus says Depart from me for I never knew you. Believing without repentance and obedience is worthless, Satan believes and trembles. So, God will not save anyone who does not come unto Him by Faith alone, the difference is most Gentles come unto God before the Rapture, and most Jews come unto God just before the Middle of the Week/Day of the Lord God's Wrath and scriptures prove this. The Jews who come to Christ must come by faith alone, just like the Gentiles and Abraham did. Why would Jesus show up and save 1/3 of his people but not all? He wouldn't, all men must come unto Christ Jesus by faith alone.

Zechariah 13:8 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. 9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.

{{{ So, God protects the 1/3 of the Jews in the Petra/Bozrah area, that equals about 5 million Jews who repents just before the Day of the Lord God's Wrath falls on mankind. Elijah AND (IMHO) Moses preaches unto them, and the Jews have already seen the Rapture of the Church where 1 billion or so Christians all pass away at the exact same time, going to be with the Lord in spirit, as 1 Cor. 15 says we do. Remember, 5 of the 10 virgins do not make the wedding call or Rapture. So, there are 2 billion Christians on earth, only 1 billion are raptured, the others will go through the 70th week tribulation period were many probably repent, but many others will be to weak to make it.}}}

Zechariah 14:1 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. 2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

{{{ The above is the Day of the Lord (1260 event/Middle of the Week) where Israel/Jerusalem is conquered by the Anti-Christ...................BELOW is Jesus returning as he sets foot on the mount of Olives and defeats the Anti-Christ and all of his armies of thugs. Notice, the Jews come unto Christ in Zech. 13:8-9 JUST BEFORE the Day of the Lord arrives. Malachi 4:5-6 also shows this to be true. SEE BELOW. }}}

Zechariah 14:3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Malachi 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: 6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

So, in both passages we see Israel repents JUST BEFORE the Day of the Lord so they come back unto God by Faith alone, not by the sight of Jesus Christ. God never changes. 

The only time that remains for the return to fellowship of believing Israel (to fellowship, not union which has never been broken) is during the Millennium, when they shall finally see Him and believe (but no son-ship in Christ, just a people of God); and this is when they and the Christians will take part in the “first resurrection” (Rev 20:5). The Lord and those with Him will teach Israel what God has prepared for them. Israel now believing in Christ will be the New Earthly representative, with Christ and those who are His instructing Israel (Mat 19:28; Luk 22:30).

See above: AND I will add this, There is indeed a first and second resurrection, one of the Righteous in Christ and then the ones who are of Satan are resurrected a 1000 years later, but just like a ball game has 4 quarters or 2 half's the First Resurrection doesn't have to happen at all the same time, nor does it. We have a pre trib rapture, then as the Jews are rescued from the final assault on them whilst in the Petra/Bozrah area, the Jewish Saints of old are raised at that time, just as Daniel was told in Dan 12. The Jews of old were married unto God, thus they can't marry the son Jesus, of course those Messianic Jews will be a part pf Jesus' bride. 

Edited by Revelation Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  451
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

I used to teach that Covenants were "crossroads" in the bible where the Lord made promises and means to carry out His purpose (and thus the meaning of the whole Bible story itself) and served a similar purpose as the feasts of the Lord in which each feast, Passover, Unleavened Bread, Firstfruits, Weeks, Trumpets, Day of Atonement, Tabernacles week, and finally the "Last Great Day" were all the Lord's plan for salvation for mankind at each and every feast (step) from the crucifixion all the way to the end at the Great White Throne Judgement.

As for covenants:

1.  Adamic (and that can be broken up into two parts)

2.  Noahic

3. Abrahamic (and this can go into a long dissertation in and of itself)

4. Palestinian (this is a bit redundant IMO)

5 Mosaic

6 Davidic (an extension of the Abrahamic) and

7 New Covenant

#7 replaces #5 if by that you mean the Levitical order (not the morality contained in the Law) because it was first a heart of stone (written on the tablets) and then a heart of flesh (by Jesus Christ coming and the spirit) thus proving we are not good or law abiders in and of ourselves, but need the Spirit of God

The other covenants,  with the exception of some such as the Adamic where Christ is promised, basically had to do with earthly promises, and the means of an order and kingdom to be set up.   So many of them were to introduce the coming Kingdom of God as an actual political structure in which #5 and #7 are the Laws within that Kingdom. That's how the Lord chosen to reverse the curse by these means.  One cannot join this new Kingdom unless they are obedient to, and by nature partakers of God's commands.  

The church today is concerned with #5 and #7 mostly, but the others are unaffected by these covenants and stand alone (but as stated are the order for #5 and #7). This is why there is so much confusion regarding the Lord's return or if he returns here to the earth at all.  It's because the earthly Kingdom promises are misunderstood. After all, Abraham was promised the land with specific boundaries for example, so it has to come to pass yet. Yet, the other covenants are "spirtualized" whatever that means so that they are effectively dismissed and the Old Testament is truncated.

1 hour ago, Revelation Man said:

There is only one true Covenant, between God and Abraham, which represents all Israel, and all the world for that matter via prophecy which says the whole world would be blessed through "Faithful Abraham".

See above: AND I will add this, There is indeed a first and second resurrection, one of the Righteous in Christ and one who are of Satan, but just like a ball game has 4 quarters or 2 half's the First Resurrection doesn't have to happen at the same time. 

We believe different of course, but to me the primary covenants that are eternal are the covenant of redemption between the Father and the Son (present and eternal covenant -Heb 13:20); and the covenant that that will be law and statue-based between Israel and God (Jer 31:33;Eze 36:27).

We agree on the resurrection issue. Those who "lived not again until the thousand years were finished" will be latter resurrected unto condemnation (Jhn 5:29).