hishandmaiden

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I am currently still at module 1 of Justinguitar. I have been practising between switching D and A chord and find some difficulty in doing so. Also, I find it hard not to strum the top 2 strings of D chort and the top string of A chord.

Furthermore, I find it a hard choice whether to look at my right hand or left hand when I play. If I look at my right hand, I will place the chord wrongly. If I look at my left hand, I will strum the top strings of the D chord and the top string of the A chord.

I am having fun so far, though, and enjoy pracrtising. I am getting better but still not there yet. Sometime, I am unable to sound all the 6 strings of the chord when I play. Some of the strings become muted, and it is hard to make them not muted.

Especially when my string are so tight and pressing hard on them can be so painful. Still, I practise sometimes to make the strings not muted but it is really hard. I am also having a hard time getting my finger to the edge of the fretboard as, is recommended by Justin.

But I am not giving up! I hope to master my A and D so that I can proceed to the next module of Justin’s course. I wonder if there is any worship songs that just have A and D chord so that I can practise with them instead of the recommended songs on Justin’s site.

Learning guitar is more fun than I remembered, and I hope one day to master the guitar. Meanwhile, my parents and younger brother are constantly betting with each other on when I will give up on the guitar. I hope to prove them wrong. They keep telling me, my guitar skill sucks, and I feel like telling them, at least it is better than them knowing nothing but I choose to keep quiet instead.

Hopefully, ten years down the road, I will prove them wrong.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

All these things you mentioned are all natural challenges when starting out.  The more you practice the easier it will get.  I recommend setting aside at least 30mins each day devoted to practice.  Justinguitar is good source for beginners.  If you are working on D and A chords I recommend finding songs that utilize those chords (Key of D).   Here is a good song in the Key of D.  Don't let the Asus4 scare you its an A chord with one less finger and explained at the bottom or you can just play a regular A major.

Sanctuary

[Chorus] 
              D                              Asus4
Lord prepare me, to be a sanctuary
               G                         D  Asus4
Pure and holy, tried and true
                    D                        Asus4
With thanksgiving, I’ll be a living
     G                 D  Asus4
Sanctuary, for You 

[Verse 1] 
       D                                           Asus4
It is You Lord, who gave the Savior
                 G                                D  Asus4
heart and soul Lord, to every man
               D                                 Asus4
It is You Lord, who knows my weakness
          G                                      D  Asus4
you refine me, with thine own hand

[Chrous]

[Verse 2]

D                                              Asus4
Lead me o Lord, & through temptation
          G                            D  Asus4
You refine me from within
                 D                           Asus4
Fill our hearts with, Your holy spirit
         G                     D Asus4
Take all our sins away

[Chorus] x2

Asus4 = x02200

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

Well, JustinGuitar really gives some nice closeup Youtube videos on how to fret the D chord and A chord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

13 minutes ago, NCAP said:

Well, JustinGuitar really gives some nice closeup Youtube videos on how to fret the D chord and A chord.

I see Justin plays the A chord with the same structure as the D7th chord.  I play it with the same structure as the D chord.  It makes changing from the D to the A much easier.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I see Justin plays the A chord with the same structure as the D7th chord.  I play it with the same structure as the D chord.  It makes changing from the D to the A much easier.

Well, the traditional way of playing the A chord is difficult. I'm getting a lot of muted or buzz on one string. I just tried it and yeah, it is difficult. So, here is a link to an alternative way to play the A chord. You would only be playing the bottom 3 strings (triad) and using two fingers to get an abbreviated A chord (not the full sound). But still, it appears to be the easiest way for beginners to play the A chord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

16 minutes ago, NCAP said:

Well, the traditional way of playing the A chord is difficult. I'm getting a lot of muted or buzz on one string. I just tried it and yeah, it is difficult. So, here is a link to an alternative way to play the A chord. You would only be playing the bottom 3 strings (triad) and using two fingers to get an abbreviated A chord (not the full sound). But still, it appears to be the easiest way for beginners to play the A chord.

That would not allow for the full voicing of the chord.  I would suggest practice to perfect the chord structure instead of eliminating the D# (4th string) and A (5th string) voicings.  Sure, it may take time to gain finger strength and placement, but it will be worth it.

10 hours ago, NCAP said:

I often bar the open A major chord with one finger like one of the examples in your link.

7 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I often bar the open A major chord with one finger like one of the examples in your link.

I haven't tried that yet, although I tried a bar chord once and wasn't happy with the results. I need to practice and practice and practice until I get it right.

10 hours ago, OneLight said:

That would not allow for the full voicing of the chord.  I would suggest practice to perfect the chord structure instead of eliminating the D# (4th string) and A (5th string) voicings.  Sure, it may take time to gain finger strength and placement, but it will be worth it.

After thinking about this, I think you're right. What I don't like is that I'm getting one string that, when plucked, is sounding either muted, muffled a little bit, or that familiar "buzz" sound.

But there are no short cuts when it comes to mastering something. A person has to keep plugging away at it until that person gets it right.

4 minutes ago, NCAP said:

After thinking about this, I think you're right. What I don't like is that I'm getting one string that, when plucked, is sounding either muted, muffled a little bit, or that familiar "buzz" sound.

But there are no short cuts when it comes to mastering something. A person has to keep plugging away at it until that person gets it right.

Yes, it takes practice.  When you bar the open A you got to arch and angle your finger in away that it does not touch, mute or buzz the other strings, but with a little practice it becomes natural.