• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, Deadworm said:

You ignore the question of what "kill" means here.  For example, it's OK to kill animals for food.  And progressive Christians point to 5 verses in God's Word that imply a fetus is not a "person:"

https://reverbpress.com/religion/bible-supports-abortion/

So it's standoff without the first-century prohibition of divorce in Didache 4:2!

Oh, Deadworm, this is all so sad.  "To kill" in "Thou shall not kill" means to "murder or slay".  You say you know Greek?  Study some Hebrew.  Killing an animal for food is not murder. God gave humanity that right to eat meat in Genesis 9:3.   Purposefully killing the unborn IS murder.  But, I'm not going to convince you of that.

As for your "progressive Christians" = I'll pass.  I have progressive friends.  They don't believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ means anything.  They don't believe Jesus is the Son of God.  They don't believe that sin needs to be dealt with.  All they believe about Jesus is that he was a man that gave us a moral list of deeds to follow.  They believe homosexuality is fine, killing the unborn is great, and that the Bible is not God's actual Words.

I really don't know why they even USE the word "Christian" to describe themselves.  I've had conversations with them and it makes me very sad every time I do.

I don't know why I'm going to address those five scriptures they use to support abortion - it won't make a difference to you, but maybe it will make a difference to someone else.

• Exodus 21:22-25 - Every time I see a progressive or a non-believer cite this passage as support for abortion, every SINGLE time, they always use this obscure translation, from NASB1977 and a couple of Catholic translations that use the word "miscarriage".  The Hebrew word actually means to "come out" and in the REST of the Bible is a clarifier that says "no injury".  This means she went into labor, the child was born prematurely but did not die.  Read the modern versions, the classic versions, and the literal versions.  This is NOT about a miscarriage.  But there is a reason why supporters of abortion including the progressive "Christians" use this translation.

• Ecclesiastes 6:3-5 - King Solomon is NOT advocating abortion.  The book, his last, is FULL of depressive thoughts as he recalls his life.  He is sickened at his desires for all those women and his disregard of the idolatry they brought to Israel as foreign women.  He embraced it all and now, as he is reviewing his life, his life makes him sick.  He says no matter how much a man has, if he is "not satisfied with goodness", then if would have been better to have been stillborn.  He is NOT advocating abortion.  Solomon, over and over, in Ecclesiastes is teaching the meaningless of life as he reviewed his own sinful living.

This is not going to do anything for you.  You have your mind made up.

I'll come back and show anyone the truths of the last three passages if they want me too.

But for now, I've got to fix lunch for my brother.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

15 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Jayne: "Oh, Deadworm, this is all so sad.  "To kill" in "Thou shall not kill" means to "murder or slay".  You say you know Greek?  Study some Hebrew."

You are being presumptuous: I do know Hebrew as well as Aramaic and Greek.  I was a Theology professor for 12 years and taught both testaments;.

I don't know why I'm going to address those five scriptures they use to support abortion - it won't make a difference to you, but maybe it will make a difference to someone else.

You forget: I not only oppose abortion; I have denounced it at major progressive Christian conferences in defense of the odd delegate who shares my stance.  

• Exodus 21:22-25 - "...they always use this obscure translation, from NASB1977 and a couple of Catholic translations that use the word "miscarriage".  The Hebrew word actually means to "come out" and in the REST of the Bible is a clarifier that says "no injury".  This means she went into labor, the child was born prematurely but did not die.  Read the modern versions, the classic versions, and the literal versions.  This is NOT about a miscarriage." 
  •  
  • By scholarly consensus the best translation is the NRSV and it reads "miscarriage."  So I'm afraid that's the proper understanding of the Hebrew idiom.  W e need Didache 4:2 because its clear prohibition of abortion makes debate over vague OT teaching unnecessary.  So does the Wisdom of Solomon 8:19-20 in the Catholic OT: it teaches the preexistence of the soul with the attendant implication that the soul is a "person." 
  •  
  • This is issue is just 1 of countless issues that illustrate that biblical revelation is incomplete.  For example, Paul commands us to actively "strive for spiritual gifts " (Greek: "zeloo") in 1 Cor. 12:31 and 14:1, but doesn't tell us how to do this.  Yes, any good Greek dictionary reports that "zeloo" means "strive for."  So most modern Pentecostal tongues speaking is of the flesh as was most of the Corinthian tongues speaking.   My own tongues experience at age 16 was by far the highlight of my life and I doubt that a skeptic like me would even be a Christian were it not for that glorious day. in which I was immersed in wave after wave of liquid love, each more intense than the last until I felt terrified that my own puny ego was about to be absorbed in God mind.  A Lutheran minister approached me to say he didn't believe in tongues and was just there as an interested observer.  I didn't argue; I just touched him gently on the forehead and he just exploded in other tongues.
  •  
  • But how do you receive this gift?  After making your desire clear to God, I have learned by experience that it is crucial to seek the Giver, not the gift, which can otherwise easily be turned into a fetish, a kind of spiritual high like a drug high.  The real gift comes most easily when you just get lost in praise and, as your spirit soars, your words seem inadequate to express the joy and bliss you feel.  At that point an act of surrender can unleash the authentic gift.  This is not addressed by the very incomplete revelation of Scripture.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,869
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

On 10/20/2022 at 1:12 PM, Ghostdog said:

sometimes when im reading the ot ill come across a verse that mentions a book thats not in the bible if the bible we have the complete word of God then why mention these other books? and where are these books?

Yes it is for as much as the human mind can handle. There's not enough trees on earth to make enough paper to record the complete accounts.