IGNORED

Pangaea and Plate Technotics

JohnR7

2 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

Yea the super volcanoes are planet transformers. I live in the middle eastcoast right on top of the continental shelf, get a big enough quake and that part of Virginia will snap off lol. 

I lived in California too. I was in three earthquakes there: 5.5; 5.4; and 5.2. There was another one but it was under 4.0. I'm in Indiana now, about 150+ miles from New Madrid.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,874
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

12 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I lived in California too. I was in three earthquakes there: 5.5; 5.4; and 5.2. There was another one but it was under 4.0. I'm in Indiana now, about 150+ miles from New Madrid.

I've lived in Virginia most of my life, never experienced an earthquake before. Don't think I want to either lol. Hurricanes is another story

Edited by BeyondET
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

26 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

Yea the super volcanoes are planet transformers. I live in the middle eastcoast right on top of the continental shelf, get a big enough quake and that part of Virginia will snap off lol. 

Heh. Not likely.

3 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Heh. Not likely.

If it happened not far from were I live, it would probably transform my part of the planet hehe..

Actually they can create new lands or take them away.

Edited by BeyondET
  • Well Said! 1

3 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

If it happened not far from were I live, it would probably transform my part of the planet hehe..

Actually they can create new lands or take them away.

The continental shelf is not like a shelf you might have on your wall. It can't snap off. It rests upon the oceanic crust. Continental shelves will have canyons that may slump at times as they are mainly built up from surface-derived or submarine sediments and are still relatively unconsolidated.

13 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

I've lived in Virginia most of my life, never experienced an earthquake before. Don't think I want to either lol.

I was working at a department store in St Louis County on the 3rd floor working my way through college. I was with a customer for carpeting and as the floor moved, I smiled. Don't know why. It happened in late 1968 or 1969. It was 5+something.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, teddyv said:

The continental shelf is not like a shelf you might have on your wall. It can't snap off. It rests upon the oceanic crust. Continental shelves will have canyons that may slump at times as they are mainly built up from surface-derived or submarine sediments and are still relatively unconsolidated.

The cliff point that sticks out is straight down, land slides happen on the shelf often. Part of Virginia could break off and slide down the shelf if a catastrophic event happened an upheaval of land. the snap off was a muse hence the lol.

atlantic_ocean_bathymetry_cropped.png

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  12.12
  • Days Won:  31

17 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I was working at a department store in St Louis County on the 3rd floor working my way through college. I was with a customer for carpeting and as the floor moved, I smiled. Don't know why. It happened in late 1968 or 1969. It was 5+something.

Hi @Saved.One.by.Grace Is where you were at the time in an 'earthquake zone', maybe?

15 minutes ago, farouk said:

Hi @Saved.One.by.Grace Is where you were at the time in an 'earthquake zone', maybe?

The New Madrid fault zone is a major intracratonic fault that has been the source of one of, if not the largest, earthquake in US history. It's a bit unique because this area is not an active tectonic plate boundary like along the Pacific coast.

I lived for years in Vancouver, BC area, so we would get the occasional tremors. I think people living in Northern California are in a perpetual state of motion.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, teddyv said:

The New Madrid fault zone is a major intracratonic fault that has been the source of one of, if not the largest, earthquake in US history. It's a bit unique because this area is not an active tectonic plate boundary like along the Pacific coast.

I lived for years in Vancouver, BC area, so we would get the occasional tremors. I think people living in Northern California are in a perpetual state of motion.

The Earthquake I was in while working at a department store in 1968 was a New Madrid event and registered 5.4 on the Richter scale.

The 1968 Illinois earthquake (a New Madrid event)[4] was the largest recorded earthquake in the U.S. Midwestern state of Illinois. Striking at 11:02 am on November 9, it measured 5.4 on the Richter scale.[5] Although no fatalities occurred, the event caused considerable structural damage to buildings, including the toppling of chimneys and shaking in Chicago, the region's largest city. The earthquake was one of the most widely felt in U.S. history, largely affecting 23 states over an area of 580,000 sq mi (1,500,000 km2). In studying its cause, scientists discovered the Cottage Grove Fault in the Southern Illinois Basin.

Within the region, millions felt the rupture. Reactions to the earthquake varied; some people near the epicenter did not react to the shaking, while others panicked. A future earthquake in the region is extremely likely; in 2005, seismologists and geologists estimated a 90% chance of a magnitude 6–7 tremor before 2055, likely originating in the Wabash Valley seismic zone on the Illinois–Indiana border or the New Madrid fault zone. [WikiPedia]

Now I was in Crestwood, Missouri when I felt this earthquake from the New Madrid fault on the Illinois-Indiana border. So those of you who may live in the greater area around New Madrid in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana, the following source may be interesting.

Source: USGS Data

• Thumbs Up 1