IGNORED

Josephus, Church Fathers, and Reformers on Daniel's 70 Weeks - A Source List of Quotations

anastasis888

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

According to Josephus in book 7, chapter 9, section 2 of his Wars of the Jews, Herod's old fortress of Masada was captured on the first day of Unleavened Bread the day after Passover. He dates it to the 15th of the Macedonian lunar month Xanthicus, which was the same as the Babylonian-Hebrew month of Nisan. This would have been Monday April 12th in the Julian count and Monday April 10th in the Gregorian count of AD 73. The taking of Masada marks the end of the Roman-Jewish conflict according to Josephus. It is with Masada that he ends his history.

I see no way to extend the 70 weeks count anytime beyond that Passover week of 73. Rome had completely taken the entire province and there was no more resistance after Masada at that time. 

Edited by anastasis888

Ezra 6:15 explicitly states the very day and year the 2nd Temple was completed after the edict to rebuild was given by Darius II. It was completed on the 3rd of Adar in the 6th year of king Darius [II]. That would have been Sabbath day March 8, 417 BC in the proleptic Julian count. The 6th regnal year of Darius would have begun on April 15 (Nisan 1),  418 BC. The Temple was completed in the 12th month (Adar) of Darius's 6th regnal year.

And this house was finished on the third day of the month Adar, which was in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king. (Ezra 6:15)

https://webspace.science.uu.nl/~gent0113/babylon/babycal_converter.htm

Edited by anastasis888
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,686
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Birthday:  08/07/1941

4 hours ago, anastasis888 said:

I see no way to extend the 70 weeks count anytime beyond that Passover week of 73. Rome had completely taken the entire province and there was no more resistance after Masada at that time. 

But in 135 AD, Hadrian put down a Jewish revolt and then finally killed or deported all the Jews from the holy Land. Jerusalem was flattened - 'like a plowed field'.

Also; NONE of the 6 tenets in Daniel 9:24 are fulfilled yet.  

5 minutes ago, Keras said:

But in 135 AD, Hadrian put down a Jewish revolt and then finally killed or deported all the Jews from the holy Land. Jerusalem was flattened - 'like a plowed field'.

Mosaic Judaism, the Temple, the Priesthood, and any Jewish independence were abrogated by AD 73.

The Bar Kokhba revolt is irrelevant to fulfilling anything in Daniel's 70 weeks.

As I stated above, if your 490 years end in AD 136 at the end of the Bar Kokhba revolt, you are obliged to show the edict of 355 BC that did anything to rebuild or restore Jerusalem as it had already been rebuilt for 62 years. There was no such edict at that time. And as it is clear that you are simply running around in circles asking the same questions that have been answered, I will leave off further discussion with you.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

37 minutes ago, Keras said:

Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. - Dan 9:24 

None of Dan 9:24 was not fulfilled due to Judea's rejection and execution of the Messiah.  The did not stop sinning, they did not make reconciliation for their iniquity, they did not accept the everlasting righteous one, they did not anoint the most Holy one but rather killed him.

The whole point of the 490 years was a time set for Jews to get their act together and repent from their past transgression and to usher in their Messiah as everlasting King, but this did not happen and this was the reason for Jerusalem and the Temple's desolation and destruction.  This was the admonition that caused desolation. 

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you desolate. - Mat 23:37-38 

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

As a side note, I find it something beyond mind boggling that any Christian could say that none of the 6 tenets of Daniel 9:24 have been fulfilled yet as Jesus fulfilled all 6 and only he fulfilled all 6.

I cannot imagine how anyone could misread Daniel 9:24 any worse than to not recognize that Jesus Christ fulfilled all 6 tenets.

And that's really all I have to say about that.

I mean, seriously? Really? If Jesus didn't make an end of sins and bring in everlasting righteousness, I'm afraid the world is out of luck, because no one else is going to.

Edited by anastasis888

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,686
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Birthday:  08/07/1941

3 hours ago, anastasis888 said:

I mean, seriously? Really? If Jesus didn't make an end of sins and bring in everlasting righteousness, I'm afraid the world is out of luck, because no one else is going to.

What world do you live in?

On earth, sins continue and righteousness is not yet everlasting.  That is the reality. 

6 hours ago, Keras said:

What world do you live in?

On earth, sins continue and righteousness is not yet everlasting.  That is the reality. 

I apparently don't live in the same world you do.

The world I live in is one of everlasting righteousness having been washed in the blood of the Lamb.

Revelation 1:5-6

Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, and hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen

Romans 1:16-17

For I am unashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto the salvation of every one that believeth; to the Jew first, but also to the Greek. For therein is revealed the righteousness of God by faith leading to faith: as it is written, The righteous by faith shall have life.

I suppose it will necessary to begin with the very first thesis of the Gospel in bringing in everlasting righteousness by faith. There is no fulfillment of Daniel's weeks apart from the everlasting righteousness brought in by Jesus. I had assumed that would be understood, but my assumptions may not be correct. If there were everlasting righteousness apart from Messiah, Messiah would not even have come. The whole reason for Messiah coming was to bring in everlasting righteousness.

Edited by anastasis888

What is the quality of the righteousness of God? David in the Psalm proclaims it to be everlasting righteousness.

Psalm 119:142

Thy righteousness is everlasting righteousness, and thy law is truth.