• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, farouk said:

The more formal ones such as the King James might on the surface require more effort to read, but in terms of accuracy and trustworthiness they tend to score more highly than the paraphrastic versions............

I agree but I don't really have a idea which passages are not trustworthy in any translation. Probably are some.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,402
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

Just now, Wayne222 said:

I agree but I don't really have a idea which passages are not trustworthy in any translation. Probably are some.

If one thinks for example that the paraphrastic translators might not even believe in verbal inspiration of Scripture, but in a more subjective 'thought inspiration' or some such thing, then it all gets rather subjective in the end in terms of accuracy.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, Kat70s said:

Thanks to everyone for their imput, I appreciate it all!

Pardon no personal responses, I have pink eye and my eyeballs hurt.

Thanks again!

Katrina 

Hi Katrina; hoping you will be well soon with your eyes.

Edited by farouk
typo
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

What's so great you can download different bible translation apps on your phone or computer. Bibles are very expensive. I love the dramatize audio bibles. It makes it more fun 😊

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

What's so great you can download different bible translation apps on your phone or computer. Bibles are very expensive. I love the dramatize audio bibles. It makes it more fun 😊

There are a lot of Web Bible helps, indeed.............

Some of the King James dollar store Bibles are well priced, but the print tends to be very small.......... (I did get a good, larger print Bible in a dollar store, though...)

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi Katrina; hoping you will be well soon with your eyes.

Doing a bit better, thanks!

Kat

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

11 hours ago, farouk said:

The more formal ones such as the King James might on the surface require more effort to read, but in terms of accuracy and trustworthiness they tend to score more highly than the paraphrastic versions............

Before I say what I am about to say, I like the King James.  I was saved while someone preached from it.  But I believe one can be saved under the preaching of or personal reading of many reputable Bibles.

I have to say that I always wonder why people say things like you did.  That the King James is more "accurate and trustworthy".  I've heard that numerous times.

As with other word-for-word translations and even phrase-for-phrase - the King James scores equally.

No translation is more perfect or more holy than another.  Paraphrases are different.  They are not translations.

The King James has, in its marginal notes, over 8000 notes giving alternate renderings of words that they did not know how to translate.  Translating is not easy.

The King James translators, themselves, in their introduction [and not all King James Bibles have the 11 page introduction anymore] give their purpose in making a new Bible.  It's an interesting read.  

Nowhere in their explanation of why they were making a new Bible did they say that they were making the "last one" or a "perfect one". Here's in part what they did say.

1. “Truly, good Christian reader, we never thought from the beginning that we should needs to make a new translation, or yet to make a bad one, a good one. But to make good ones better or out of many good ones, one principal good one."
  2. Variety of translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures…must needs do good, yea, is necessary, as we are persuaded."
  3. "But we desire that the Scripture may speak like itself, as in the language, that it may be understood even of the very vulgar [King James era word for "common people.]”

I don't believe that the King James Bible is more accurate or trustworthy than any other word-for-word or phrase-for-phrase.  Why?  There is no evidence of it.   No proof of it being the best.  I'm afraid that some exalt the King James as the "best" due to it's longevity, reading level, and or its being what they grew up on.

I agree with the King James translators.  "Variety of translations is profitable for finding the sense of the scriptures."

4 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Before I say what I am about to say, I like the King James.  I was saved while someone preached from it.  But I believe one can be saved under the preaching of or personal reading of many reputable Bibles.

I have to say that I always wonder why people say things like you did.  That the King James is more "accurate and trustworthy".  I've heard that numerous times.

As with other word-for-word translations and even phrase-for-phrase - the King James scores equally.

No translation is more perfect or more holy than another.  Paraphrases are different.  They are not translations.

The King James has, in its marginal notes, over 8000 notes giving alternate renderings of words that they did not know how to translate.  Translating is not easy.

The King James translators, themselves, in their introduction [and not all King James Bibles have the 11 page introduction anymore] give their purpose in making a new Bible.  It's an interesting read.  

Nowhere in their explanation of why they were making a new Bible did they say that they were making the "last one" or a "perfect one". Here's in part what they did say.

1. “Truly, good Christian reader, we never thought from the beginning that we should needs to make a new translation, or yet to make a bad one, a good one. But to make good ones better or out of many good ones, one principal good one."
  2. Variety of translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures…must needs do good, yea, is necessary, as we are persuaded."
  3. "But we desire that the Scripture may speak like itself, as in the language, that it may be understood even of the very vulgar [King James era word for "common people.]”

I don't believe that the King James Bible is more accurate or trustworthy than any other word-for-word or phrase-for-phrase.  Why?  There is no evidence of it.   No proof of it being the best.  I'm afraid that some exalt the King James as the "best" due to it's longevity, reading level, and or its being what they grew up on.

I agree with the King James translators.  "Variety of translations is profitable for finding the sense of the scriptures."

@Jayne That intro. which you mention makes good reading..... :)

Some of the more paraphrastic versions come across as being rather more vague in their manner of translating. (I wonder sometimes if some of the translators every really believed in the verbal inspiration of Scripture....)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Jayne That intro. which you mention makes good reading..... :)

Some of the more paraphrastic versions come across as being rather more vague in their manner of translating. (I wonder sometimes if some of the translators every really believed in the verbal inspiration of Scripture....)

But that's just it, farouk.

A paraphrase is not a translation.

A translation is when you take the original Hebrew and Greek and you KNOW the Hebrew and Greek like the back of your hand and match it to the language you are translating to.

It takes years, sometimes decades to do this.

I have an online acquaintance who spent 30 YEARS in Japan helping to translate the New Testament into Japanese.  Why - because they only had a translation that had gone from English to Japanese.  And that New Testament had many errors and conflict of meaning because the original languages were not used.

He made a living while there teaching Greek to Bible students.

A paraphrase is just when you take your own language and put it in your own words.

The Living Bible is a paraphrase made and meticulously made by a man who wanted his children to understand the King James.  He use no Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek.  He translated nothing.

Just now, Jayne said:

But that's just it, farouk.

A paraphrase is not a translation.

A translation is when you take the original Hebrew and Greek and you KNOW the Hebrew and Greek like the back of your hand and match it to the language you are translating to.

It takes years, sometimes decades to do this.

I have an online acquaintance who spent 30 YEARS in Japan helping to translate the New Testament into Japanese.  Why - because they only had a translation that had gone from English to Japanese.  And that New Testament had many errors and conflict of meaning because the original languages were not used.

He made a living while there teaching Greek to Bible students.

A paraphrase is just when you take your own language and put it in your own words.

The Living Bible is a paraphrase made and meticulously made by a man who wanted his children to understand the King James.  He use no Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek.  He translated nothing.

@Jayne Sometimes ppl don't understand the difference between an accurate translation and a paraphrase.... :)