IGNORED

Who managed to quit smoking? or is trying to quit?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, farouk said:

FYI............ @Biblican thread I started; any wisdom?

I never smoked or drank even before I was a Christian, so I never had to battle those addictions, just the usual lusts of the flesh. I always think of Jesus sweating great drops of blood begging the Father to release Him from what He didn't want to do. Likewise we have to sweat the same blood to keep from doing what we want to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

2 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

LOL, my daughter there! A nurse and former smoker. She quite around 20 ish. Not sure when she started, but in those teen years somewhere. I was made aware when the house caught fire one day!!!!

I myself did not start until 9th grade. Began a new school that fall. There was this other girl that started later that year that was new. Of course we gravitated to each other. Well, she had painted nails, wore lipstich, had a fancy cigarette case with lighter. She looked so grown up. Never wanted to before that. Just dumb kid stuff.

@Anne2 Yes, well, for what you said about your daughter having made the responsible decision to quit smoking at 20: really of course by the age of 20 those other stages are likely to have happened already, years previously. 'She looked so grown up.' The painted nails: what adolescent women do. The lipstick: what adolescent women do. The cigarettes: what at least a lot of adolescent women do, especially years ago. The tattoo parlor: all likely well before the age of 20.

So no surprises about your daughter:I guess in her mind all part of a girl growing into a woman at sigificantly before the age of 20.

8 minutes ago, Biblican said:

I never smoked or drank even before I was a Christian, so I never had to battle those addictions, just the usual lusts of the flesh. I always think of Jesus sweating great drops of blood begging the Father to release Him from what He didn't want to do. Likewise we have to sweat the same blood to keep from doing what we want to do.

@Biblican Well, He is our perfect example; although also He is totally sinless and we are not; 'the prince of this world cometh, and in Me he hath not any thing' (John 14.30).

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

So many pages of comments and replies on this topic, I’m curious as to why! Maybe because it’s all about a bad habit and most of us can relate to having bad, unhealthy habits. Humans are so peculiar though, because while smoking nowadays is VERY frowned upon (and definitely not what “good” Christians do, right?) eating all manner of sweet foods, and grossly processed foods, is acceptable. The Seventh Day Adventists who very religiously eschew coffee, alcohol, pork and shellfish, and who espouse the Vegan/Vegetarian diet (most that I know of) and who pride themselves on knowledge of the scriptures, have church potluck meals that will include an entire table of sweet, sugar laden desserts! And although I’m no purist in my own diet, I do KNOW that too much sugar destroys a person’s health! Diabetes and obesity having greatly proliferated in the last few decades!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.68
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, AlsoBroken said:

So many pages of comments and replies on this topic, I’m curious as to why!

Consider how many of them, in essence, talk about how to quit and how many actually are arguing to one degree or another about why they can't quit or haven't quit.

When you argue in favor of not being able to do something then you can't.  People need to be aware of what god they're worshiping, what one they are letting direct their life, when they argue in favor of or justify self destructive behaviors (something that could be a rather intensive, and probably controversial, topic in itself).

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I smoked for about ten years.  It’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. Somehow after beginning a career in law enforcement and having to run to emergencies I decided to quit. 

My mom smoked for years.  She used to smoke in the car and in the house and my sister and I would beg her not to smoke in the car or house.

After growing up in that, I swore I’d never smoke.  Between peer pressure and my own stupidity I started smoking at about 15.

After I quit I pleaded with my mom for years to quit.  After she had developed a cough that wouldn’t go away, she decided to quit.

She got real sick and the doctors treated her for bronchitis for about six weeks and she didn’t get any better.  I got her in the car and took her to the closest big city hospital.

They admitted her and after two days of tests discovered she had small cell cancer, smokers cancer.  After a biopsy it was determined to be stage 3 cancer inoperable and terminal.

They decided to treat her with chemotherapy.  After twelve chemotherapy treatments, they said the tumor was dead and the cancer was virtually gone.

They followed the chemotherapy with radiation treatments.  Which burned her esophagus leaving her virtually unable to eat.  After ten radiation treatments to the tumor site in the lung, they decided to do five preemptive radiation treatments to her brain.  They said this was because small cell smokers cancer always metastasized to the brain.

These treatments to her brain seriously damaged her remaining quality of life.  If she would have known what it would have done she said she’d never have taken it.

I watched my mom suffer immensely and die eleven months after her smoker’s cancer diagnosis.

During her last two weeks of life, in our local hospital.  The respiratory therapists would suction the fluid out of her lungs daily.  Then they would step out the back door and smoke.

There were five respiratory therapists working at our hospital.  Three of them were smokers?

After I watched them suction out that thick fluid from my mom’s lungs, almost jelly like, I asked the guy, “How can you smoke? You see this daily, my mom is dying from this, I’ve only seen it once, how can you witness this and still smoke?”  He said, “I know I need to quit”, and kept right on smoking.  That is insanity.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47

6 minutes ago, 3Nails4Given said:

I smoked for about ten years.  It’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. Somehow after beginning a career in law enforcement and having to run to emergencies I decided to quit. 

My mom smoked for years.  She used to smoke in the car and in the house and my sister and I would beg her not to smoke in the car or house.

After growing up in that, I swore I’d never smoke.  Between peer pressure and my own stupidity I started smoking at about 15.

After I quit I pleaded with my mom for years to quit.  After she had developed a cough that wouldn’t go away, she decided to quit.

She got real sick and the doctors treated her for bronchitis for about six weeks and she didn’t get any better.  I got her in the car and took her to the closest big city hospital.

They admitted her and after two days of tests discovered she had small cell cancer, smokers cancer.  After a biopsy it was determined to be stage 3 cancer inoperable and terminal.

They decided to treat her with chemotherapy.  After twelve chemotherapy treatments, they said the tumor was dead and the cancer was virtually gone.

They followed the chemotherapy with radiation treatments.  Which burned her esophagus leaving her virtually unable to eat.  After ten radiation treatments to the tumor site in the lung, they decided to do five preemptive radiation treatments to her brain.  They said this was because small cell smokers cancer always metastasized to the brain.

These treatments to her brain seriously damaged her remaining quality of life.  If she would have known what it would have done she said she’d never have taken it.

I watched my mom suffer immensely and die eleven months after her smoker’s cancer diagnosis.

During her last two weeks of life, in our local hospital.  The respiratory therapists would suction the fluid out of her lungs daily.  Then they would step out the back door and smoke.

There were five respiratory therapists working at our hospital.  Three of them were smokers?

After I watched them suction out that thick fluid from my mom’s lungs, almost jelly like, I asked the guy, “How can you smoke? You see this daily, my mom is dying from this, I’ve only seen it once, how can you witness this and still smoke?”  He said, “I know I need to quit”, and kept right on smoking.  That is insanity.

It is addiction.

• Well Said! 1

3 hours ago, 3Nails4Given said:

Glad you managed to quit. Thanks for your solemn and helpful advice also.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, AlsoBroken said:

So many pages of comments and replies on this topic, I’m curious as to why! ..... Humans are so peculiar though, because while smoking nowadays is VERY frowned upon (and definitely not what “good” Christians do, right?)

@AlsoBroken So are some ppl still trying to beat up on you because of your cigarettes?

15 hours ago, FJK said:

Consider how many of them, in essence, talk about how to quit and how many actually are arguing to one degree or another about why they can't quit or haven't quit.

When you argue in favor of not being able to do something then you can't.  People need to be aware of what god they're worshiping, what one they are letting direct their life, when they argue in favor of or justify self destructive behaviors (something that could be a rather intensive, and probably controversial, topic in itself).

@FJK Ppl can so easily drift into things; but in the long term there can be a lot of consequences.........