• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

13 hours ago, Anne2 said:

My own ear piercing has grown back together.... My sister on the other hand likes jewelry alot

Hi @Anne2 Sounds like, despite your own appreciation of multiples up the ear, it's not something you (unlike your sister, maybe) considered practising and keeping holes open for.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, farouk said:

Hi @Anne2 Sounds like, despite your own appreciation of multiples up the ear, it's not something you (unlike your sister, maybe) considered practising and keeping holes open for.

Well I will wear some jewelry on certain occassions but not often. My fathers funeral I bought a necklace and earrings. I could only get one in. I tried and tried to get it in but it wasn't gonna happen. The particular ear I always had more trouble with. I think I jerked a little and it was not a straight shot through was the problem. But that day I wished it had opened. Yes, my sister loves jewelry. Rings, earrings, necklaces, broaches or bracelets. I don't mind any of those things, ankle bracelets are nice. I just don't wear them much anymore.

Edited by Anne2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Anne2 said:

Well I will wear some jewelry on certain occassions but not often. My fathers funeral I bought a necklace and earrings. I could only get one in. I tried and tried to get it in but it wasn't gonna happen. The particular ear I always had more trouble with. I think I jerked a little and it was not a straight shot through was the problem. But that day I wished it had opened. Yes, my sister loves jewelry. Rings, earrings, necklaces, broaches or bracelets. I don't mind any of those things, ankle bracelets are nice. I jst don't wear them much anymore.

@Anne2 Sorry for your loss - maybe it was a while ago, though. I guess when ppl get their single pairs or multiple holes put in for the first time it can be good to make the strategic resolve to make sure that at least tiny earrings are kept in most of the time so that the holes won't close up. (Probably the young men that do it particularly need reminding by a mom or sister about the danger of holes closing up.) Tiny studs are probably ideal for this, if this makes sense?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  0

15 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Anne2 Sorry for your loss - maybe it was a while ago, though. I guess when ppl get their single pairs or multiple holes put in for the first time it can be good to make the strategic resolve to make sure that at least tiny earrings are kept in most of the time so that the holes won't close up. (Probably the young men that do it particularly need reminding by a mom or sister about the danger of holes closing up.) Tiny studs are probably ideal for this, if this makes sense?

Thank you farouk

It has been a while now but he lived to be 100 years old. Has dimentia for years so it was time. It felt odd to be in my  60's losing a parent.

Oh yes. When I got a little older I bought solid gold very small hoops for pretty much that purpose. Real solid gold so no allergy would occur. I also got the kind that had no posts Wouldn't poke me, didn't need to worry about cleaning the post holder pressing on the back on my skin.. They were real small hoops that had one end slip into the other end of the hoop. My sister in law had her young daughter's ear pierced (my niece) and was concerned about what kind to have her wear. I gave her mine. If I had kept bought another pair, my ears probably would be open still. they were just perfect for that.

Edited by Anne2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

The particular ear I always had more trouble with. I think I jerked a little and it was not a straight shot through was the problem.

@Anne2 Really these days the tattoo parlor is the better option for ear piercing since they would do clean straight through holes. (Rather than via a gun at a mall kiosk where a teen assistant might not put them through straight.) I know in some families they might hesitate to go to a tattoo parlor but for the holes pierced they are more likely to do a quality job, because they tend to know what they are doing and are likely well trained with how to use a piercing needle. (Maybe in your day this was less of an option, though.)

22 hours ago, Mary8 said:

After many decades, I would recommend not piercing too low on the ear lobe.    

@Mary8 Yes, there is wisdom in what you say.

When the adolescent is at the stage of studding the earlobes, it can be advantageous to grasp that having the metal embedded right into the middle of the earlobe is the way to go, which will serve well if s/he keeps them in permanently.

Sooner or later the adolescent is likely to come to that stage and moms certainly have a role in preparing them to have it done properly, right?

Guest AFlameOfFire
19 hours ago, farouk said:

@AFlameOfFire Thanks.

I guess what @itty-bitty lamb said recently is obliquely similar also: "i actually knew someone who got their tongue pierced, for faith based reasons. They said they made a promise to God to stop speaking bad about other people - to stop gossiping. They said getting their tongue pierced helped them keep their promise to God.  ... At the time, i didn't know this had been on her heart. She just showed up one day with the pierced tongue. ... i do feel it helped her in her walk with God. She did a lot of praying over it before getting it done. She expressed to me afterwards that the physical reminder in her tongue helped her overcome the bad habits of gossiping and create new habits that were good. She kept the piercing for about four years before taking it out, saying that it was no longer needed because she wasn't struggling anymore with gossiping."

The lady who served in my local Christian bookstore had a tongue piercing. But I didn't talk with her about it.

In the case of the lady in the quote, the physical reminder in the tongue seems to be presented as a practical tool to counter speech habits she wanted to break with; and something which was done with a lot of prayerful preparation and anticipation.

(Maybe at least obliquely similar to what you were referring to?)

That's a whole lot better then cutting it out, but both would help. Her idea isn't half bad, her heart is in the right place. 

Edited by AFlameOfFire
whoops changed like to lot

Thanks, @Mary8, for the 'like' just now. As a symbolic way of learning the lesson not to gossip (James's Epistle comes to mind also), I guess it's an interesting tool/reminder for someone, right?

Some ppl on here have talked about family and friends who have done the tongue piercing; maybe not in your family though...

FYI @Starise Any wisdom here?