• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

Hi,

I am a single mom with a son. My ex-spouse is an unbeliever. I was frequently abused, and my ex-spouse refused to take care of us when my son was born.

My ex-spouse meets my son once a week in my presence. To be clear, my ex-spouse took my money and abandoned us for 1.5 years, after which I asked for a divorce and am in the process of getting one.

I have 2 questions:

1) I want my son to grow up as a Christian. I cannot tell my ex-spouse this because he will either forbid me or try to take my child away. (We were married in India where if a spouse converts, the custody goes to the other spouse).

2) My spouse has always insisted I be a vegetarian. My son has health problems, (mainly poor growth and malnutrition) that can be helped if he eats meat.

I know my spouse has no authority over me any longer, but does he have authority over my son? I am the sole provider, my spouse does nothing outside of meeting my son and paying for lunch once a week.

Can I take these 2 decisions (bringing up my son as a Christian and giving him meat) on my own? Do I need to inform his father? What does God want me to do?

Thanks,

GerdaHannah

• Praying! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, GerdaHannah said:

Hi,

I am a single mom with a son. My ex-spouse is an unbeliever. I was frequently abused, and my ex-spouse refused to take care of us when my son was born.

My ex-spouse meets my son once a week in my presence. To be clear, my ex-spouse took my money and abandoned us for 1.5 years, after which I asked for a divorce and am in the process of getting one.

I have 2 questions:

1) I want my son to grow up as a Christian. I cannot tell my ex-spouse this because he will either forbid me or try to take my child away. (We were married in India where if a spouse converts, the custody goes to the other spouse).

2) My spouse has always insisted I be a vegetarian. My son has health problems, (mainly poor growth and malnutrition) that can be helped if he eats meat.

I know my spouse has no authority over me any longer, but does he have authority over my son? I am the sole provider, my spouse does nothing outside of meeting my son and paying for lunch once a week.

Can I take these 2 decisions (bringing up my son as a Christian and giving him meat) on my own? Do I need to inform his father? What does God want me to do?

Thanks,

GerdaHannah

The laws are very different in India than they are in the United States where I live. You are Christian not Hindu? You need to give God this in prayer and ask Him what He wants you to do. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member

17 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The laws are very different in India than they are in the United States where I live. You are Christian not Hindu? You need to give God this in prayer and ask Him what He wants you to do. 

Yes I am Christian.

• Praise God! 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, GerdaHannah said:

Yes I am Christian.

Do you still live in India?  If not, where do you live, please?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I suggest you teach your son to believe in the LORD Jesus Christ. He does not have to expose it to the world (nor do you).

Christianity was underground in hiding for many decades during Roman rule (circa 1st through 3rd centuries C.E.). 

The Christian "fish" symbol was a secret symbol to identify ones self as a believer without alerting the public, guards, etc.

One believer would make a half circle in the dirt with their toe and another facing the first would make the other half circle

completing the "fish" symbol.

So don't feel obligated to make a public profession to the point your son is hauled away from you.

That you both believe in Jesus is most important.

Next important is that you and your son remain together.

Then that you are free from your ex.

God knows and understands far more than most people give him credit for.

Hope this helps!

• Well Said! 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I suggest you teach your son to believe in the LORD Jesus Christ. He does not have to expose it to the world (nor do you).

Christianity was underground in hiding for many decades during Roman rule (circa 1st through 3rd centuries C.E.). 

The Christian "fish" symbol was a secret symbol to identify ones self as a believer without alerting the public, guards, etc.

One believer would make a half circle in the dirt with their toe and another facing the first would make the other half circle

completing the "fish" symbol.

So don't feel obligated to make a public profession to the point your son is hauled away from you.

That you both believe in Jesus is most important.

Next important is that you and your son remain together.

Then that you are free from your ex.

God knows and understands far more than most people give him credit for.

Hope this helps!

Thankyou John D. The only thing I really want in life is to trust in God and follow Him. I've made enough mistakes so far that I understand being practical is the way to darkness. I really wish I could withdraw from the world and spend my time in prayer all the time.

The only thing that is bothering me is, as believers our duty is to lead others to the Lord. Will my actions lead my ex spouse away from the Lord?

Your answer is very comforting, I will continue to seek the Lord's counsel on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Not of the World said:

Do you still live in India?  If not, where do you live, please?

I live in Canada, but may be moving to India shortly for my son's health.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, GerdaHannah said:

I know my spouse has no authority over me any longer, but does he have authority over my son?

Based on your earlier post, if you move to India and attempt to convert your son to Christianity, then your ex-husband will then be able to legally take custody of your son, correct?  Are you sure about that?  Have you consulted an attorney in India?  

I presume it would be no issue for you to teach your son the words of Christ in Canada.  I obviously don't know the particulars to your situation but it seems unfortunate that you might take your son to India where the laws are (apparently) different and unfavorbable for raising your son to be a follower of Christ.  I hope there is a way that you can help your son with his health IN CANADA so that you can also raise him up to be a follower of Christ.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

35 minutes ago, GerdaHannah said:

I live in Canada, but may be moving to India shortly for my son's health.

There are similar climates in the United States... just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

There are similar climates in the United States... just saying.

Yes, Florida would be a good choice.