• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, this is pretty big news. 

One article I read suggested that this may move practical fusion power forward by several decades.

• 5 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

On 12/12/2022 at 8:45 PM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

We're going to leave many readers behind when we discuss the difference between fission and fusion. And more behind when we add in atomic, hydrogen, thermonuclear, etc. But here goes. Remember, the goal is for nuclear energy to make more energy than it uses to make it.

Source: Science of Energy as of 2014

Since I haven't worked in the Nuclear energy field, I don't have to worry about divulging any secrets I am bound to keep. My energy experience is limited to fossil fuels like oil, natural gas and coal. From my Internet reading, I know that China has a fusion reactor that was stable for 1056 seconds. That was the record until this new USA recent breakthrough. Details haven't been released and I understand why. South Korea in their fusion process have reached temperatures 7X the core of the sun, which doesn't help global warming at all [Sarcasm intended.] That doesn't sound like cold fusion to me.

It strikes me as funny some of the names the jump out at you when reading a history of 'The Bomb". John Von Neuman who worked on the Manhattan Project was instrumental in creating the mathematics we now call "Game Theory". The book "Prisoner's Dilemma" by Poundstone is almost a biography of Neumann and gave a brief glimpse of John Nash, who also worked on the Manhattan Project while suffering from schizophrenia. He overcame it to win a Nobel Prize. I almost went to work for Lockheed-Martin but chose one of their competitors instead.

I'll stop. I'm rambling now.

I wonder what kind of waste they are creating that they do not know how to handle or what to do with it.

• Interesting! 1

5 hours ago, coheir said:

I wonder what kind of waste they are creating that they do not know how to handle or what to do with it.

Fusing hydrogen will produce helium. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,390
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

that's great we can all talk like the munchkins for free :dance:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

1 hour ago, teddyv said:

Fusing hydrogen will produce helium. 

helium is not abundant on earth, I've read, and it has a lot of uses so I wonder if they can capture this produced helium?

On 12/17/2022 at 11:28 AM, teddyv said:

Yeah, this is pretty big news. 

One article I read suggested that this may move practical fusion power forward by several decades.

The input was 2.05 megajoules with an output of 3.15 megajoules. What they didn't specify is that it took 192 lasers consuming 322 MJ from the grid in the energy conversion process. Looks like new math to me.

4 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

The input was 2.05 megajoules with an output of 3.15 megajoules. What they didn't specify is that it took 192 lasers consuming 322 MJ from the grid in the energy conversion process. Looks like new math to me.

I think the issue was that despite the input, it created a self-sustaining reaction for the time. But I have not delved deeply into beyond some of the articles out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, coheir said:

helium is not abundant on earth, I've read, and it has a lot of uses so I wonder if they can capture this produced helium?

If there is a feasible way to collect it, then I'm sure they will. Otherwise it will just escape the earth's gravity.

1 hour ago, teddyv said:

I think the issue was that despite the input, it created a self-sustaining reaction for the time. But I have not delved deeply into beyond some of the articles out there.

Neither have I. The numbers and particulars I quoted came from Wikipedia. My delving into Fusion Power was superficial at best. My personal energy experience is limited to coal, gas and oil. I wonder what is powering the electrical grid for the fusion experiment and is it self-sustaining?

Helium has the second lowest molecular weight, much lower than air. Being inert, Helium is relatively harmless. But if too much is inhaled, it displaces breathable air.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace