αγάπη

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

If someone were to say that if you don't dress exactly like God clothed Adam & Eve (tunic like garments), you are in sin/outside of Gods Grace....

What is the best way to respond? 

I had this happen to myself, & I didn't really know what to say. 

The person was very clear about it though. They believe it to be sin & if I live in this willful sin, I am outside of Gods grace/Christ's blood won't cover me.

I believe I dress modestly. I don't show much of my skin, if any. I am properly covered in nice enough clothes, but not super expensive clothes. I don't wear anything flashy. 

Any advice/comment is appreciated. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Where does the Bible claim it is a sin to not "dress exactly like God clothed Adam & Eve (tunic like garments)"?

"Grace" is unmerited favor. Unmerited means not related to our behavior. The only way to fall from "grace" is to try and earn God's favor by our own works - like trying to adhere to a list of rules (including how to dress) rather than being led by the Spirit. What you describe of yourself sounds consistent with scripture to me.

1 Timothy 2:9 - in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 hours ago, αγάπη said:

If someone were to say that if you don't dress exactly like God clothed Adam & Eve (tunic like garments), you are in sin/outside of Gods Grace....

What is the best way to respond? 

I had this happen to myself, & I didn't really know what to say. 

The person was very clear about it though. They believe it to be sin & if I live in this willful sin, I am outside of Gods grace/Christ's blood won't cover me.

I believe I dress modestly. I don't show much of my skin, if any. I am properly covered in nice enough clothes, but not super expensive clothes. I don't wear anything flashy. 

Any advice/comment is appreciated. 

I say where is The Spirit in this? God says He doesn't even look there...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Check and see if the speaker is dressed in animal skins.  They are the first blood sacrifice to cover sin that God provided for them to wear that is mentioned in the Bible.  If they are not clothed in leather you should might point out to them that they are not dressed in the clothing that God first provided for Adam and Eve either.  Not that their theory is worthy anything to begin with.  We are neither under the law nor under such man made traditions as they have concocted.  

Gen 3:21  Yahweh God made garments of animal skins for Adam and for his wife, and clothed them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Thing is the Bible doesn't spell out exactly how they were dressed, just a general idea. So how do they even know?

The Bible says to dress modestly, and not to look like the other gender. Beyond that, it's not really specific. 

What christians have worn has changed over the centuries based on culture, time era, personal beliefs and even what denomination they belonged to.

None of it is a salvational issue, so I stopped caring what others thought about dress a long time ago. You want to dress like the Amish, knock yourself out. I won't diss you for it...I won't do it however.

So as long as what your wearing is modest and gender appropriate (according to culture, in the US for example it is perfectly acceptable for women to wear pants, and if your at a Celtic festival it's totally acceptable for men to wear dresses. Though thick red hair and bagpipes help) then wear what you like or are comfortable with.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

I say where is The Spirit in this? God says He doesn't even look there...

I wonder the same. There is much more than just what they claim as God's dress code that sends up red flags in my head, but I am so young, I don't know for certain. 

Thank you for responding!

2 minutes ago, αγάπη said:

I wonder the same. There is much more than just what they claim as God's dress code that sends up red flags in my head, but I am so young, I don't know for certain. 

Thank you for responding!

That is why I am so thankful for Scripture as it the standard by which all else is judged ...

1 John 4:1 (KJV)

[4:1] Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Tristen said:

Where does the Bible claim it is a sin to not "dress exactly like God clothed Adam & Eve (tunic like garments)"?

"Grace" is unmerited favor. Unmerited means not related to our behavior. The only way to fall from "grace" is to try and earn God's favor by our own works - like trying to adhere to a list of rules (including how to dress) rather than being led by the Spirit. What you describe of yourself sounds consistent with scripture to me.

1 Timothy 2:9 - in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,

This specific person mentioned God clothing Adam & Eve, as well as I believe it was Paul talking about dressing modestly. I can't quote scripture on this, my apologies. 

I want to live as God wants me to; Obedience to his Word. 

Per this specific person, I must be in all obedience to God's Word or I am outside of His Grace. 

1 minute ago, enoob57 said:

That is why I am so thankful for Scripture as it the standard by which all else is judged ...

I am thankful for Scripture as well. I imagine some are very good at twisting it for whatever reason.

Just now, αγάπη said:

I am thankful for Scripture as well. I imagine some are very good at twisting it for whatever reason.

unfortunately for them...

• Thumbs Up 1