IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.11
  • Days Won:  31

4 minutes ago, Sower said:

I got that, and agree Marathoner. Until someone starts pushing how great a witness for Jesus it is having a tat and not represent the repercussions of injecting ink, permanently,  into the body God has given us, not realizing how an average  lost person associates tattoos with the counter culture, not Christ. There are many aspects of having tattoos not being made known, and that is deception.

Many churches/preachers today have also found what attracts people, and so much of it is not biblical. But it is popular feel good preaching, and there is money in it. And so many, being unaware and fooled not knowing the truth, like the lemmings follow the herd caught up in the latest fad going to the feel good church, and other fads they do not consider the ultimate end. Ignorant. Are we as Christians supposed to be light, or stay under the basket, at a Christian forum where many seekers are watching/listening to us.

@Sower Seems like you are somehow calling me a liar....(?)

So if I have talked to various young ppl with Bible verses tattooed - all of which seem to have been gotten with the desire to have them as tools in witness (John 3.16, etc.), how is this being a liar? (if in fact you are calling me that...)

I don't quite understand.

(Actually I thought your 'first love' comment was good and thought-provoking, reflecting maybe the motive behind some faith based tattoo designs.)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

13 minutes ago, Sower said:

Until someone starts pushing how great a witness for Jesus it is having a tat

I'd assume they consider it more of a witnessing tool, than the "tats" themselves being the "witness".

I personally don't have, or like, tattoos. But I have noticed that people with tattoos often have other random people approach them to ask about their tats. In the context of a faith-based tattoo, that can lead to a non-Christian opening the door to a discussion about the Gospel. I can therefore see some merit in that motive.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I have not read the entire thread...maybe about one third of it.  The word itself is not actually used to define anything good.  I don't see how redefining the meaning of the word helps for a better understanding of the practices of some people either.

I have never heard or read of that word being used in a positive way.

As far as a 'witness tool' with regards to a Bible verse or something symbolic of Christianity, well, would you brand yourself if tattoos are not currently all the rage?

An addiction actually involves changes in the brain that have negative effects upon the person with the addiction.

People can and do make up reasons or excuses for things they want to do because they really want to do it....I speak from experience and observation.

Studying the Bible is not an addiction.  We are to renew our minds with what the Bible states in order to agree with God.  So much more could be said but like I said, people will find a way to do something even if their conscience taps them on the shoulder. I think I see quite a bit of that in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Sower said:

not realizing how an average  lost person associates tattoos with the counter culture, not Christ. There are many aspects of having tattoos not being made known, and that is deception.

So true which is basically deceiving oneself

12 minutes ago, Tristen said:

I'd assume they consider it more of a witnessing tool, than the "tats" themselves being the "witness".

I personally don't have, or like, tattoos. But I have noticed that people with tattoos often have other random people approach them to ask about their tats. In the context of a faith-based tattoo, that can lead to a non-Christian opening the door to a discussion about the Gospel. I can therefore see some merit in that motive.

@Tristen Different Christians will view such things variously; and it's all part of Romans 14 Christian liberty, I reckon.

The young lady with the wording of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area with whom my wife and I talked seemed to have been determined to undergo the procedure for witness purposes; like you say, it often does lead to conversations with others.

In talking with her, as regards the injected John 3.16 wording, there seemed to be a quiet joy there.

Joy that would likely not go away.

7 minutes ago, Ocean said:

I have not read the entire thread...maybe about one third of it.  The word itself is not actually used to define anything good.  I don't see how redefining the meaning of the word helps for a better understanding of the practices of some people either.

I have never heard or read of that word being used in a positive way.

As far as a 'witness tool' with regards to a Bible verse or something symbolic of Christianity, well, would you brand yourself if tattoos are not currently all the rage?

An addiction actually involves changes in the brain that have negative effects upon the person with the addiction.

People can and do make up reasons or excuses for things they want to do because they really want to do it....I speak from experience and observation.

Studying the Bible is not an addiction.  We are to renew our minds with what the Bible states in order to agree with God.  So much more could be said but like I said, people will find a way to do something even if their conscience taps them on the shoulder. I think I see quite a bit of that in this thread.

Hi @Ocean Thanks for your comments.

Interesting that @Bropro posted earlier in this thread a particular usage of 'affliction':

1 Corinthians 16:15 (KJV)
15   I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, farouk said:

@Sower Seems like you are somehow calling me a liar....(?)

So if I have talked to various young ppl with Bible verses tattooed - all of which seem to have been gotten with the desire to have them as tools in witness (John 3.16, etc.), how is this being a liar? (if in fact you are calling me that...)

I don't quite understand.

(Actually I thought your 'first love' comment was good and thought-provoking, reflecting maybe the motive behind some faith based tattoo designs.)

6 hours ago, farouk said:

I don't think I'm saying, "Ppl without a tattoo, go get a tattoo!"

"Unbelievable statement for me based upon all your pro tat posts"

That is what I posted above.

I find it unbelievable that you say (so I thought) you have not encouraged people here that tattoos are good, and specifically to help people to identify them as a Christian in order to share the gospel. In the ensuing discussion you did not acknowledge any info/data to the dark side of tattoos I posted, only what you perceive as a great witnessing tool for new un-discipled  believers, getting tattoos.

You said;
"(Actually I thought your 'first love' comment was good and thought-provoking, reflecting maybe the motive behind some faith based tattoo designs.)"

And I agree farouk, that it is a possible motive for some when on an emotional 'first love' high. I can remember the day/period I also felt that way. And as I said, having a tattoo to advertise my "new creation" was the last thing I would ever consider.

I'm too old to relate to having a tat/bumper sticker to show my faith when I simply share with a stranger about Jesus and how I was saved, and not about some tattoos.

I have now said my piece sharing information to those unaware about the other side of tattoos not being talked about, and have said enough. I apologize if you feel I have maligned you in any way as I had no intention to do so. It was only hearing you saying so much in favor of tats I found your statement a stretch.
My bad if that matters.

Now, why not post us a picture of your tat so we can see your personal taste....:)

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

1 hour ago, farouk said:

@Tristen Different Christians will view such things variously; and it's all part of Romans 14 Christian liberty, I reckon.

The young lady with the wording of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area with whom my wife and I talked seemed to have been determined to undergo the procedure for witness purposes; like you say, it often does lead to conversations with others.

In talking with her, as regards the injected John 3.16 wording, there seemed to be a quiet joy there.

Joy that would likely not go away.

I agree - Romans 14 is a great guiding chapter regarding how Christians should approach these disputable issues.

• Well Said! 1

On 2/18/2023 at 6:29 PM, bropro said:

I am sure that it is pretty high on the list. I thought about getting a tattoo when I was in the Corp, but reasoned that it would be there for good. So I decided against it.

Gary

@bropro You can maybe see anyway how those who do like the idea of a Bible verse tattoo, etc., as an ongoing witness being there for good would be quite attracted to undergoing the procedure, anyway.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seemed to have received them for witness tool reasons, anyhow.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

On 2/18/2023 at 5:29 PM, bropro said:

I am sure that it is pretty high on the list. I thought about getting a tattoo when I was in the Corp, but reasoned that it would be there for good. So I decided against it.

Gary

As did myself and several others in my outfit. But the last two yrs of enlistment I was in the jungles in country, and the last place you want scabs and infection was not there.

Returning back to the world, home of the eternal light bulb and round eye girls, the tattoo took back seat when I found out I was getting an early out with only thirty + days enlistment left. So two weeks on the west coast, then home, sweet blessed home...:)

• Thumbs Up 1