IGNORED

Crossroads. Travel, Dog, or Puppy. Crossroads. ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,225
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Hey BIH...don’t do anything  in haste, have a good think on it, ..how exciting, you may get a rescue dog, I used to foster rescue dogs, Staffordshire bull terriers mainly,💗...I had 3 dogs at one time, the rescue dogs eventually got their forever homes, I was then left with my two, my chihuahua and my Jack Russell, sadly I had to have my baby girl ( chihuahua) put to sleep as she had cancer and they couldn’t control the fits she was having.

I still have my faithful Jack who is the Jack Russell, he is now 14, incredibly fit for his age...we used to walk miles together, I also had a hand held ball launcher, we had great fun with that..he is going blind and is a bit senile, Jack Russell are the worst breed for shedding hair,I have to hoover at least 3x a day..

If you do decide to get a dog from a shelter, I wish you the best and hope that you thoroughly enjoy him/ her,💗

Do let us know what you decide to do....🙏💗....this is my Jack...💗

image.jpg

:8:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

On 2/9/2023 at 6:23 AM, Debp said:

@believeinHim

Also, shelters often need foster parents for dogs and cats.   This would help you to see if caring 24/7 for a pet is right for your family.

Also, it's harder to travel with a pet.   Fostering would allow you to travel....just don't take any pet in when you plan to go away.

This is a really really great suggestion!  I've had dogs forever and a half and it's just 2nd nature to me to take care of them.  Someone who has never had the pleasure, does need to understand all that is required and fostering would be the way to go to see if adopting a dog or pup would work.

Not sure if rescues will give a dog or pup to foster to someone with no experience, but certainly worth a try! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

On 2/9/2023 at 12:52 PM, believeinHim said:

I want a border collie. Border collies are my favorite breeds of dogs. It is unrealistic of me, And I would need a park in the neighborhood to take it up to to to let it run around for 2 hours. When we had a little dog we did not take it walking. She did not need it. She ran up to the mailbox with us and that is about it. Well, All of that, And she thought she was a human and was terrified of all other dogs. :huh::24:

I want a border collie, And that is completely unrealistic for me.

yeah...sorry...but that is a very intelligent and active breed and wouldn't be good for a first time owner.  Sorry tho.  

The lab service dog maybe...maybe...but sounds like yr mom has unrealistic expectations.  I just recently met a lady when I went for a routine eye exam and she actually had a lab...just turning 2...and she was in a wheelchair and still working on the behavior of her dog...which incidentally happened to be a yellow lab...they come in other colors .

I don't think you necessarily have to give up on the idea of a dog; meet or talk to different rescues for specific breeds maybe and they might be able to suggest a dog that is calm and not too active.  I happen to own a very active breed but for a fact they do sometimes come in calm...but not hairless.

Maybe attend some obedience classes without a dog ... possibly an instructor might be amenable to letting you see how it goes... and get an idea of commitment and the work involved.

There really are many options, but sounds like your mom and anyone else involved might have to get onboard with you and for you.

all the best!

Edited by Ocean
  • Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/15/2023 at 2:29 AM, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Look at this @believeinHim...😂🤣😅😂🤣

Rather than sleep in his bed. i have   been clearing out the shed, brought it all indoors to sort through.😂😅...Jack Russell have such great characters..he was at the vets yesterday, he told me he is coming up 15..still in great condition..and put on a few pounds round the waist.

98FAE358-8D1B-41FE-AF8C-E43E6B5AC3FA.jpeg

Here is a picture of my first dog, childhood dog near the last days of her life, I think, It was awhile ago, Here is a picture of her...............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,She is kind of grey around the mouth I think, Sos he is an old girl here..............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, <3. <3. <3. <3. 

Edited by believeinHim
  • Loved it! 1

And here is my mom's feet. :24:

100_2243.jpg

Edited by believeinHim
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,026
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,355
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

On 2/23/2023 at 7:34 AM, believeinHim said:

Here is a picture of my first dog, childhood dog near the last days of her life, I think, It was awhile ago, Here is a picture of her...............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,She is kind of grey around the mouth I think, Sos he is an old girl here..............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, <3. <3. <3. <3. 

Image012 3.jpg

Image012 2.jpg

What a darling dog!   Was she a Pomeranian?   Where did you get her?

On 2/24/2023 at 9:59 PM, Debp said:

What a darling dog!   Was she a Pomeranian?   Where did you get her?

My parents got here from a private breeder. I would not even begin to understand where to begin if left to my own devices. I really do not think a dog is in our best interest right now, But I have thought about it. I understand what is drawing me to these message boards now, as well. :24::whistling:My parents got her from a private breeder, And she was such a delicate and pure bred dog that we were terrified of losing her. We did not socialize her with other dogs, And we did not let her stay in a car alone, or outside for very long, She was a very well loved, and very well taken care of and sheltered little dog. She lived a long time we think because she was away from other dogs and was not exposed to other things other dogs can get.

I understand what is drawing me tot these message boards now, {off topic :24::whistling:}, And I don't hate it. :24::whistling:

Edited by believeinHim
  • Thumbs Up 1