Biblican

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

I was reading the Psalms and this particular verse leaped out at me. -The LORD (Yahweh) opens the eyes of the blind.” Psalm 146:8. Then it struck me that there are no incidences of God healing the blind anywhere in the Old Testament. The only record we have of God healing the blind is in the New Testament when He healed through the Messiah Jesus.

Psalm 146:8 is a much overlooked Messianic prophecy.

In Isaiah 42:7, we are told that a characteristic of the Messiah would be that he would, “open blind eyes.” Jesus inserted this scripture into His reading of Isaiah 61:1, which He applied to Himself as recorded in Luke 4:18.

He was sending a message to those who could see it, that opening the eyes of the blind was something that would identify Him as the Messiah. I hope you all can see it too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.34
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.00
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

15 hours ago, Biblican said:

Then it struck me that there are no incidences of God healing the blind anywhere in the Old Testament.

There is one fascinating narrative involving Elisha that deals with both physical and spiritual blindness.

2 Kings 6:

15 And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?”

16 So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 

17 And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 

18 So when the Syrians came down to him, Elisha prayed to the Lord, and said, “Strike this people, I pray, with blindness.” And He struck them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.

19 Now Elisha said to them, “This is not the way, nor is this the city. Follow me, and I will bring you to the man whom you seek.” But he led them to Samaria.

20 So it was, when they had come to Samaria, that Elisha said, “Lord, open the eyes of these men, that they may see.” And the Lord opened their eyes, and they saw; and there they were, inside Samaria!

21 Now when the king of Israel saw them, he said to Elisha, “My father, shall I kill them? Shall I kill them?”

22 But he answered, “You shall not kill them. Would you kill those whom you have taken captive with your sword and your bow? Set food and water before them, that they may eat and drink and go to their master.” 

23 Then he prepared a great feast for them; and after they ate and drank, he sent them away and they went to their master. So the bands of Syrian raiders came no more into the land of Israel.

In Isaiah 42:7, we are told that a characteristic of the Messiah would be that he would, “open blind eyes.”

He also makes blind those who can see!

I think this exchange between the Lord and a group of Pharisees

captures the essence of the thread.

John 9:

39 And Jesus said, For judgment I have come into this world, that those

who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind.

40 Then some of the Pharisees who were with Him heard these words, 

and said to Him, Are we blind also?

41 Jesus said to them, If you were blind, you would have no sin;

but now you say, ‘We see.’ Therefore your sin remains.

Jesus inserted this scripture into His reading of Isaiah 61:1, which He applied to Himself as recorded in Luke 4:18.

A really nice catch. He also brings healing the blind to the forefront

when He speaks to John's disciples.

Luke 7:

18 Then the disciples of John reported to him concerning all these things. 

19 And John, calling two of his disciples to him, sent them to Jesus, saying,

Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?

20 When the men had come to Him, they said, John the Baptist has sent us to You,

saying, Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?

21 And that very hour He cured many of infirmities, afflictions, and evil spirits;

and to many blind He gave sight.

22 Jesus answered and said to them, Go and tell John the things you have seen

and heard: that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, 

the dead are raised, the poor have the gospel preached to them.

What about casting out evil spirits? That must have made quite an impression.

I am not sure if the Old Testament has any similar incidents.