• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/28/2023 at 2:27 PM, FJK said:

There's a saying that God helps those who help themselves, there's a reason for that saying:  You have to accept the answer God gives you and be willing to do your part when you pray for help.

Two boats and a helicopter, that sort of thing.

That's not a biblical saying however. God often helps those who CAN'T help themselves. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.94
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

That's not a biblical saying however. God often helps those who CAN'T help themselves. 

I've never found this to be true, I've never seen anyone helped by God who wasn't willing to do his part.

I've a;ways found that God gives us what we need to do that which is beyond our capabilities without his help, he doesn't simply do everything for us so we don't have to do anything for ourselves.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

9 hours ago, FJK said:

I've never found this to be true, I've never seen anyone helped by God who wasn't willing to do his part.

I've a;ways found that God gives us what we need to do that which is beyond our capabilities without his help, he doesn't simply do everything for us so we don't have to do anything for ourselves.

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me." -- 1 Corinthians 15:10

I think Paul is saying, yes, we do work, we must work, but we also realize that it is God's power, His grace, that is enabling that work. IOW, apart from God's grace, people cannot help themselves. We ask for God's grace to be the power that allows us to help ourselves.

"For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen." -- Romans 11:36

I would say that the ability to help oneself is a thing included in "all things."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Dave, it sounds like you need some professional help with your addictions. Have you been going it alone, just trying to will yourself out of them, thinking "if I were a real Christian, I would just be able to give these things up?"

Don't be ashamed to seek professional help, especially from a trained Christian therapist if possible. If you were asking why God didn't miraculously heal you from a physical illness, but never went to a doctor, I think most people here would advise you to seek medical treatment (while still praying, of course) for that illness.

16 hours ago, FJK said:

I'm not saying that God does everything for us. But there are times when he intercedes in people's lives when there was absolutely nothing they could do. Some people have had miracles happen that changed their lives. Sometimes jobs, food, money, and other blessings just find people or fall into their laps with no effort on their part. Of course we still have to TRY to do our part, but we have to acknowledge that everything comes from Him, even the things we worked and sweat for.  

On 4/28/2023 at 9:47 AM, Dave-regenerated said:

I truly believe I have been born again.  My experience at that moment in time was so fantastic and mind blowing I hesitate to describe it to others for various reasons which I have learnt over time.  I have shared my experience of that event with some people who say they are Christian and a few of them have tried to disagree with me about my own experience!  There is nothing more hurtful and condescending than for a Christian to do that, whereas non-believers I wouldn't pay attention to.

Some people have suggested that my experience is not as important as the truth of the Word only as a way to disagree with me on something else I've related.  And while I agree experience is subordinate to scripture I do NOT agree that experience can be dismissed, especially the New Birth.

So having said all that, I am seriously having doubts now.  I know what happened to me, I fit all the criteria I have found in books and on the internet for a person that has been saved, and I know 100% for certain that God exists.  Yet, my life does not line up with any of it.  I cannot predict the future of the sanctification process in myself, but I fall short every day into sins that I do not see happening to other Christians upon salvation.  I have addictions I cannot get rid of.  

I see so many testimonies of people that have said when they were saved or they prayed for freedom from addictions, God took them away miraculously.  I see testimonies of people that claim to have had prayers answered for healing, and so on.  Yet, I really don't mean to sound arrogant or boastful, but the truth of the matter is that their descriptions of being born again pale in comparison to mine.  I literally had a massive supernatural Damascus Road type of thing happen to me.  

So, what is the truth here?  Are people that write their testimonies online about God setting them free from smoking, alcohol, drugs, simply just exaggerating by claiming God took those things away from them when in fact it was their own volition and will power that did it?  

It's been 9 years and counting since I was saved.  There has hardly been even 1 day where I haven't given in to these addictions.  I prayed endlessly, hours upon hours, days long for years to God to take them away, and He hasn't done it.  Yet am I to believe that such a long amount of time was for nothing and that there are supposed to be people being healed of cancers and paralysis and so on simply through one prayer at a church or even to themselves, instantly?  

I am supposed to believe that a person is righteous so that God answers their prayers, as James says, more or less; yet everybody that has the New Birth has a new nature along with the old Man, as Paul says, and somehow that persons prayers are answered?  Yet here I am toiling away in desperate straights about my addiction problems for over 9 years and nothing has happened?  I am supposed to believe that Scripture is a means of sanctification that happens through grace and faith and not works, and despite endless hours of reading the Bible now I am not progressing a single shred?

Something is wrong with this picture.  

In the Psalms, the Psalmist pleads with God to help and prevent them from sinning.  Yet, in the NT Epistles we are told that God does not tempt anybody to sin and that He always makes a way out from temptation due to the apparent reality that a person has enough power in themselves to overcome such.  Jesus said, "Lead us not into temptation".  I cannot square these two apparently contradictory things, nor can I understand why God has set millions of people free from addictions through miraculous means by prayer, and here I am languishing in dire straights for 9 years and absolutely nothing has changed.  

Since I do not get audio downloads or telephone calls from God telling me things, I have absolutely no way of knowing whether it is God's will that I am supposed to use my own will power to try to give up these addictions or whether I should continue to pray that somehow someday He will free will.  I just narrowly escaped having cancer and had to have a major operation at the Hospital, my physical health is absolutely deplorable, I am in constant physical and mental and emotional pain every single day without any let up, I am killing myself, and I don't understand why.  

And to top it all off, when I do get around to reading the Bible, I will experience demonic attacks.  When I don't read the Bible one day, the attacks go away temporarily.  This is a repeatable phenomena of my experience and as such is pretty scientifically robust.  

Hello. I would like to say congratulations. You are a true follower of God. The very fact that you struggle mightily and constantly against these things only PROVES that you have the Spirit of God within you. An unsaved person would simply give in with no further thought. We ALL have struggles and addictions, some worse or more intense than others. Paul compared the christian life to a battle and said he had to die daily to his old self. It's not just a 1 time thing. There is a new battle every single day. Anyone who claims they aren't fighting daily is either a liar or not really following God. So I encourage you to take heart. The constant demonic attacks against you should actually encourage you. If they ever stop completely, THEN you should get worried. My suggestion is find some trusted Christians to pray with you and help encourage you and keep you accountable. God Bless.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

On 4/28/2023 at 11:47 AM, Dave-regenerated said:

I truly believe I have been born again.  My experience at that moment in time was so fantastic and mind blowing I hesitate to describe it to others for various reasons which I have learnt over time.  I have shared my experience of that event with some people who say they are Christian and a few of them have tried to disagree with me about my own experience!  There is nothing more hurtful and condescending than for a Christian to do that, whereas non-believers I wouldn't pay attention to.

Some people have suggested that my experience is not as important as the truth of the Word only as a way to disagree with me on something else I've related.  And while I agree experience is subordinate to scripture I do NOT agree that experience can be dismissed, especially the New Birth.

So having said all that, I am seriously having doubts now.  I know what happened to me, I fit all the criteria I have found in books and on the internet for a person that has been saved, and I know 100% for certain that God exists.  Yet, my life does not line up with any of it.  I cannot predict the future of the sanctification process in myself, but I fall short every day into sins that I do not see happening to other Christians upon salvation.  I have addictions I cannot get rid of.  

I see so many testimonies of people that have said when they were saved or they prayed for freedom from addictions, God took them away miraculously.  I see testimonies of people that claim to have had prayers answered for healing, and so on.  Yet, I really don't mean to sound arrogant or boastful, but the truth of the matter is that their descriptions of being born again pale in comparison to mine.  I literally had a massive supernatural Damascus Road type of thing happen to me.  

So, what is the truth here?  Are people that write their testimonies online about God setting them free from smoking, alcohol, drugs, simply just exaggerating by claiming God took those things away from them when in fact it was their own volition and will power that did it?  

It's been 9 years and counting since I was saved.  There has hardly been even 1 day where I haven't given in to these addictions.  I prayed endlessly, hours upon hours, days long for years to God to take them away, and He hasn't done it.  Yet am I to believe that such a long amount of time was for nothing and that there are supposed to be people being healed of cancers and paralysis and so on simply through one prayer at a church or even to themselves, instantly?  

I am supposed to believe that a person is righteous so that God answers their prayers, as James says, more or less; yet everybody that has the New Birth has a new nature along with the old Man, as Paul says, and somehow that persons prayers are answered?  Yet here I am toiling away in desperate straights about my addiction problems for over 9 years and nothing has happened?  I am supposed to believe that Scripture is a means of sanctification that happens through grace and faith and not works, and despite endless hours of reading the Bible now I am not progressing a single shred?

Something is wrong with this picture.  

In the Psalms, the Psalmist pleads with God to help and prevent them from sinning.  Yet, in the NT Epistles we are told that God does not tempt anybody to sin and that He always makes a way out from temptation due to the apparent reality that a person has enough power in themselves to overcome such.  Jesus said, "Lead us not into temptation".  I cannot square these two apparently contradictory things, nor can I understand why God has set millions of people free from addictions through miraculous means by prayer, and here I am languishing in dire straights for 9 years and absolutely nothing has changed.  

Since I do not get audio downloads or telephone calls from God telling me things, I have absolutely no way of knowing whether it is God's will that I am supposed to use my own will power to try to give up these addictions or whether I should continue to pray that somehow someday He will free will.  I just narrowly escaped having cancer and had to have a major operation at the Hospital, my physical health is absolutely deplorable, I am in constant physical and mental and emotional pain every single day without any let up, I am killing myself, and I don't understand why.  

And to top it all off, when I do get around to reading the Bible, I will experience demonic attacks.  When I don't read the Bible one day, the attacks go away temporarily.  This is a repeatable phenomena of my experience and as such is pretty scientifically robust.  

Wait till you have professional preachers tell you that you’re deluded by satan himself, or being told to prepare for the lake of fire.

Please understand that those who say these things are not of God. Based on current theological pigeonholing, I don’t exist… I discuss spiritual warfare strategies with Him, have Him show me what He wants me to know, explain things to me… and He does.

In order for me to be accepted in churches, I cannot testify about my personal relationship with Christ… so, I keep Him to myself and only share with unbelievers, who happen to be more receptive to God when you remove the weight of expectation one generally experiences in a church setting.

It is unsettling to sit with Christians and feel like you have to quench the spirit until you feel like exploding-

If all you have is God, you have more than the others!