IGNORED

'Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.'

farouk

Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.

• Yes, they do work; they are effective
    • No, they don't work; they are not effective
    • Don't know
    • I have my thoughts but would prefer not to express them

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2023 at 08:28 PM

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi @Ps37 ; re. your recent comment, above:

Probably the Christian guy that you spoke to recently appreciated the encouragement that you gave him, right?

He did.

As I said previously, I'm not a big fan of tattoos, and they're not something I have considered (or will consider) for myself, but I have no issue with anyone else having them, especially when they involve Scripture.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

Thanks to all who voted so far in the poll.

NB: If you have not yet voted in the poll, please vote now.

1 hour ago, Ps37 said:

He did.

As I said previously, I'm not a big fan of tattoos, and they're not something I have considered (or will consider) for myself, but I have no issue with anyone else having them, especially when they involve Scripture.

@Ps37 When one considers the possible motive for Scripture tattoos, one can easily understand why so many Christians willingly go into the tattoo parlor.

I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.  Lady Crosstalk christianityboard dot com

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as witness tools.

Some demographics seem predictably to go to the tattoo parlor at around 18 in any case; this nurse reports:

"Corgiverse RN

At this point- honestly it’s almost a requirement. Every single one of my coworkers is tattooed." reddit dot com

...so one can understand the rationale of Christians at that age thinking: "I want mine to reflect something from Scripture that I hold dear..."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ps37 said:

He did.

@Ps37

PS: He likely thought, when you said what you said:

"This man's commendation really vindicates my trip to the tattoo parlor: Scripture tattoos really do work to bring about conversations!"

(Something along these lines, right?)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, farouk said:

@Ps37

PS: He likely thought, when you said what you said:

"This man's commendation really vindicates my trip to the tattoo parlor: Scripture tattoos really do work to bring about conversations!"

(Something along these lines, right?)

Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Ps37 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

@Ps37

Even beyond a specifically Christian context, nurses use tattoos effectively as ice breakers among patients and their families:

BluegrassRN said:

On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. ...I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged allnurses dot com

I don't know if this nurse,  quoted below, is a Christian, but her comments demonstrate that the most conservative of ppl can have it done confidently (which provides context for Christians considering a Scripture tattoo as an effective witness tool):

juliannenw said:

I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person.

allnurses dot com

It would also tend to refute any lingering notion that having some tattooing done is somehow supposedly not lady-like, when there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary; I'm sure you would agree.

Edited by farouk
  • Thumbs Up 1

anyone who has a tattoo from the past certainly has a "conversation starter", to share their testimony.

@Mr. M

It seems also that so many Christians now have a "conversation starter from the present" by way of a faith based tattoo design.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.94
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

36 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Mr. M

It seems also that so many Christians now have a "conversation starter from the present" by way of a faith based tattoo design.

I have never considered getting a tattoo, but I try to avoid imposing my opinions on the liberty of others when it comes to such matters.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:02 AM, farouk said:

Ref.

"Corgiverse RN

At this point- honestly it’s almost a requirement. Every single one of my coworkers is tattooed." reddit dot com

@ChristB4us

Interesting question of yours there.

I do think that if a Christian hospital wanted all nurses to have at least one Christian tattoo it would be hard to enforce for legal reasons; I strongly doubt whether they would try to enforce such an idea.

While I can see a lot of Christian nurses wanting indeed to receive a faith based inking, what the poster is probably saying that all her coworkers have set a priority in getting themselves inked - this is what she is likely saying, with 'requirement' being more of a figure of speech.

(Interesting question, anyway..........)

Well, being how it is "almost" a requirement, does suggest peer pressure of some sort rather than any consequence for not getting one for the job.

I would think one has to be a believer in Jesus Christ before getting a tattoo like that though.  Peer pressuring someone that is not a believer into getting one would seem like missing the mark when they should be witnessing to that nurse and let their examples lead them to want to get a Christian tattoo AFTER salvation, but accept the newly saved believer without one.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.94
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

57 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Mr. M

They could tattoo "kodesh YHVH" on their forehead!

Ezekiel 9:3 Now the glory of the God of Israel had gone up from the cherub, where it had been, to the threshold of the temple. And He called to the man clothed with linen, who had the writer’s ink horn at his side; 4 and the Lord said to him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done within it.

Revelation

7:3 saying, “Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads.” 

9:4 They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 

14:1 Then I looked, and behold, a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father’s name written on their foreheads. 

22:4 They shall see His face, and His name on their foreheads. 

Holiness to the Lord

Exodus 28:

36 “You shall also make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it, like the engraving of a signet: HOLINESS TO THE LORD.

37 And you shall put it on a blue cord, that it may be on the turban; it shall be on the front of the turban. 

38 So it shall be on Aaron’s forehead, that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things which the children of Israel hallow in all their holy gifts; and it shall always be on his forehead, that they may be accepted before the Lord.