• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:13 PM, George said:

The Lord helps those who help themselves ... is a common saying.  The thought comes in ... a farmer can't expect to receive a harvest if he doesn't plant seed in his field!  ;)

default_thumbsup.gif.b8a8b6ca39a03865d200b7e94fd0bcea.gif

Your right , it is a common saying. (though not a bible verse).
A 'man who no workee, no eatee',  is scriptural.

Though God does help me when I can not help my self. Which is often....:unsure:

The farmer reaps what he sows, though  "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase"

One plants, one waters, one creates growth. Each a part of the whole.

Amazing when the word meshes, and is eventually re-cog-nized beyond.

“From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.” Ephesians 4:16 KJV

close-up-of-a-group-of-metal-gears-part-of-a-larger-mechanism-turning-in-coordination-3d-animation-free-video.jpg.88ffa0145bf3ccf6f5071dec4acd4b2f.jpg    One gear missing can stop the function.

Amazing how the word meshes, so fitly joined, to reveal another truth.
Then another "I got it" moment.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/13/2023 at 7:19 PM, The_Patriot21 said:

Actually some of my best conversations about Jesus took place in bars. Just saying.

And look who Jesus ran with. Publicans and sinners. Not to be taken to extremes or to excuse anything just to consider it is not so cut and dried. The Lord has his way.

jesus ran with

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, The_Patriot21 said:

Actually some of my best conversations about Jesus took place in bars. Just saying.

When I was still building houses many yrs back I was witnessing to my rock mason and his crew, his boys and cousins etc, and he personally agreed to listen further if I would meet him after work at the corner tavern. Sure. He listened, but I think his motive was to try and get me drunk. :unsure:  And the way he could put them away I didn't try to match beers. But he listened, and was receptive. Seed was planted. The rest is up to God. I believe, any place, any time, anybody, is the time to sow seed as the spirit prompts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, Anne2 said:

And look who Jesus ran with. Publicans and sinners. Not to be taken to extremes or to excuse anything just to consider it is not so cut and dried. The Lord has his way.

jesus ran with

Indeed.

Sometimes, things are black and white. None of us, for example should be running around getting drunk...that's cut and dry.

But, sometimes there's a middle ground, a grey area for example. If you struggle with alcoholism, or are a church leader, then avoiding bars is solid advice. You don't want to invite temptation, and if your a church leader, it's a good way to start rumors. The Bible does say to avoid all appearance of evil.

However, in my case, I do not struggle with alcoholism, I'm not a church leader, and in the past my job had me on the road a lot, spending nights in small towns where the only place to eat was the local bar. Even where I live now, the best place to eat is the bar lol.

Now with that said, I still do not hang out at the bar. It's not where your going to find me most nights. But, I have had legit reasons for being in one, often with a unsaved coworker in the past which lead to some good conversations. Even today you will occasionally find me at the bar, not getting drunk but just socializing with friends or coworkers.

I don't hide it, and since I'm not a regular bar fly people know I'm not s drunkard. I don't go with friends who are alcoholic, and neither am I in church leadership.

There's a time and place for everything.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

On 6/13/2023 at 7:13 PM, George said:

The Lord helps those who help themselves ... is a common saying.  The thought comes in ... a farmer can't expect to receive a harvest if he doesn't plant seed in his field!  ;)

And that is the one I immediately thought of too!  As to the farmer, "God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap."  (Gal 6:7)  And there are many other verses along those lines - see here: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Reaping-What-You-Sow

Of course, a bank robber could use that "The Lord helps those who help themselves" phrase too! :rofl:

So I like to say, "The Lord helps those who turn to Him!"

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

My dad repeated this often and ascribed it to the bible (until I told him it wasn't in there): "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he's fed a lifetime."

Is there a scriptural parallel? 

• Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

On 6/13/2023 at 10:13 PM, George said:

This is a tricky one.

Yes, it's good to take the initiative in things but sometimes "helping yourself" may make you end up doing something God didn't want you to do but you thought it was a good idea. Sometimes we need to wait for God's guidance.

• Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Here's one that I think is very important

Givers, set boundaries because takers won't.

As Christians, we may feel obligated to give and be sacrificial in our help of others, eg as Jesus told us to go the other mile when asked to do things but (to me at least) it's important to decide and let people know how much you will help them because some people don't seem to care how much their demands affect who help them, they only care that they get what they want.

So you may end up doing much  more than needed and seriously affecting yourself to mildly  convenience someone who doesn't want to compromise.

A good example is this- my mother began giving a ride to a lady to her home as it was on her route. Eventually it evolved into going  far off route and waiting in the parking lot as the lady went shopping at a supermarket. When my mother suggested going to a supermarket right by her house, the woman refused to. Gradually it devolved into the woman stopping on route to talk to friends, leaving my mother  parked in busy traffic, leaving when she wanted to leave etc. When confronted, she got an attitude