• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Excellent question.  

Watchman Nee wrote a two volume book on this subject, titled " The Spiritual Man".   He goes deep into this subject. A difficult read, but worth it IMO.   Search for the pdf file on the net if interested. 

I derived great benefit from reading the books of Nee. A person who is born from above now has the ability to walk in step with the Holy Spirit. That is what we are called to do as spirit filled believers.

Romans 12:2  Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Our soul must be brought under subjection to our spirit which is now being led by God's Spirit. It comes down to who is giving the orders in our life, soul or spirit? We can't live by our feelings and emotions. They are fickle and can change in an instant. God gave us emotions for a reason but we must carefully and wisely choose our responses to those emotions. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. I understand the 'flesh' to be the unrenewed part of my soul which still wants to go its own worldly way. My physical body responds to the commands I give it. It does not independently do anything on its own. It has to be directed by my will which is part of my soul. 

Hebrews 4:12.  For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I recently left a church over this very doctrine. The pastor suddenly came up with a new teaching I had never heard from him before. It is part of the OSAS belief that we are now totally sanctified in God's sight since God only sees Christ in us. Since all of our sins, past, present and future are forgiven, it doesn't matter what the flesh does. He stated, from the pulpit, that he will no longer confess and repent. He said he does not care what the flesh does. He believes if we continue to confess and repent, that we are denying the faith and do not understand who we are as Christians. I was compelled to interrupt his sermon a few times which did not go over well. I talked with him after church and he was adamant even though his teaching is in direct opposition to our scriptural call to ongoing sanctification. The Deacons I approached were not willing to go with me to see him and there were no Elders in the church. We left the fellowship but I continue to pray for all involved there. 

This kind of doctrine removes an acknowledgement of consequences which will result from man's free will choices. We are very capable of grieving and quenching the Holy Spirit. 

Mark 12:30   And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,218
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

17 hours ago, teddyv said:

That sounds a bit Gnostic - the imperfect body that has to be disposed of to allow the perfect soul/spirit to be free.

Whoever said this I do kind of take to be a possible false teacher. I do kind of take this preacher to quite possibly be a false teacher.

It is so hard to tell these days. But the person sounds like they could be false teacher. That is why I didn't claim it is what I believe, it is just a way I heard it explained. :noidea:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

23 hours ago, believeinHim said:

I heard someone explain it this way, Your "Soul" is perfect, Your "Body", Is Imperfect. Your spirit is saved once you ask Jesus, It can not sin, But your body, This imperfect vessel we have all been living in since Adam and Eve's sin in the garden,

Our physical dying and imperfect bodies are capable of sinning and capable of sin. 

Our Spirits are Saved, Our bodies are imperfect, still. Heard someone explain it this way.

That's not accurate. A soul, according to Scripture is a living being. A soul can si. And a soul can die. The Spirit that is in man is not man, it is something of God Himself. It is the breath or spirit of life.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,646
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

29 minutes ago, Butch5 said:

And a soul can die

Hi, Gee I don't think so. it is not what  I take away from Daniel 12 anyway; ..."And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.". Nor do I see that within Matthew 25: 44-46.

My soul has had a beginning, but it has no end; though not eternal, it is immortal.

A postscript; when did my soul begin? I do not know, but I would say not before God made man a living soul yet it could be some long time after maybe at conception in my mother's womb. Maybe all souls stem directly from the creation  point of Adam th efirst man and then Eve as well.

..."And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

Man became a living soul. 

6 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Gee I don't think so. it is not what  I take away from Daniel 12 anyway; ..."And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.". Nor do I see that within Matthew 25: 44-46.

My soul has had a beginning, but it has no end; though not eternal, it is immortal.

Sleep is a metaphor for death. Those in Daniel 12 are dead.

If we would expect anyone to have an immortal soul, it would be Jesus, correct? 

Isaiah 53:12 (KJV 1900): Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great,
And he shall divide the spoil with the strong;
Because he hath poured out his soul unto death:
And he was numbered with the transgressors;
And he bare the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.

Isaiah prophesied that Christ would pour out His soul to death. If Jesus' soul could die then so can everyone else's.

We're also told that the Father alone has immortality.

1 Timothy 6:13–16 (KJV 1900): I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; 14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

Paul told Timothy that when Jesus returns He will show the only one who has immortality, the one no man can see nor has seen. That's the Father. No one else has immortality.  

12 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

A postscript; when did my soul begin? I do not know, but I would say not before God made man a living soul yet it could be some long time after maybe at conception in my mother's womb. Maybe all souls stem directly from the creation  point of Adam th efirst man and then Eve as well.

..."And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

Man became a living soul. 

It was at conception. You see people come to the text already having an idea of what soul means and they use this idea to interpret the Bible. However, the real question is, how does the Bible use the term? If we study the terms through the whole Bible we find the definition I gave in the first post

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,218
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

2 hours ago, Butch5 said:

That's not accurate. A soul, according to Scripture is a living being. A soul can si. And a soul can die. The Spirit that is in man is not man, it is something of God Himself. It is the breath or spirit of life.

Thanks. That sounds a bit more accurate. I will update the title. :41:

• This is Worthy 1

• believeinHim changed the title to *edit* *delete* *inaccurate post*

From Psalm 139

..."For You formed my inward parts;
You covered (wove) me in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them."

God knew me too from before I was formed, and so I think He knew my soul, or of it,  from before I was woven. Though I was not always, God always knew  and has continued to know me.

I have a beginning, God does not. It is He that has created the beginning of me, what I am, and what I will be, body and spirit/soul. I do not cease to exist. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  10/01/2002

On 6/15/2023 at 4:56 PM, believeinHim said:

*edit* *delete* *inaccurate post* *edit* *delete* *gnostic thinking* 

Wow!  Just wow!